Author Topic: A Lick In A Natural Minor (A minor or A Aeolian mode)  (Read 672 times)

Offline SadisticKeith

• Learn to Play Moderator
  • Founding Father
  • In the Showtime for Free, Wolfpack.
  • Showtime Karma: 544
A Lick In A Natural Minor (A minor or A Aeolian mode)
« on: February 12, 2015, 06:03:58 AM »
I just thought we would take a lick in A minor (which is also known a the natural minor or even the Aeolian mode) that we can build up to three octaves. This is a good type of run to do to cover a lot of "real estate" on the fretboard as well as change playing positions and or add more flavor to your playing.

To get started the notes in the key of A minor or the A Aeolian mode are: A, B, C, D, E, F, G. You may also notice these are also the same notes in the relative MAJOR key of C Major if you are familiar with key signatures. But that isn't important right now so if you don't know key relations while I do strongly suggest you learn them it won't hurt you here.

To begin we will take a basic A minor shape from the fifth position. Two ways you can practice this are to pick every note (I would recommend using strict alternate picking) or you can play legato (one pick stroke per set of three notes using hammer-ons and pull offs for the rest).

For those who haven't heard of Chris Zoupa (Youtube) I STRONGLY advise you to check out his guitar lesson videos as well. There is a lot of great stuff there! I came across an A minor lesson of his earlier today which is where I got this lick.

Now looking at it and breaking it down you can see that it starts in the fifth position of what would be your box two pattern of the A minor pentatonic scale and moves up through several positions until finally resting on the 1st string in the twelfth position or the the fifth box in the A minor pentatonic scale. You should notice that this is just an extended pentatonic scale, or a pentatonic scale with added notes. The cool thing about a lick like this is that it gets you moving around the entire fretboard as opposed to just being stuck in a single "boxed" position. This type of lick can be extremely useful to fuse different box licks and patterns together to create killer extended runs that you just can't do in a single boxed position. It is also very good for building speed and accuracy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------10-12-13-12-13-15
---------------------------------------------------------10-12-13------------------------
--------------------------------------7-9-10-9-10-12------------------------------------
-----------------------------7-9-10-------------------------------------------------------
-------------5-7-8-7-8-10----------------------------------------------------------------
------5-7-8--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Special thanks to Chris Zoupa for his killer lessons on Youtube! Check them out!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:36:28 AM by SadisticKeith »

This my BOOMSTICK!

"Oh, that's just what we call 'pillow talk' baby, that's all"

Ash