Author Topic: NFL Team back in L.A.? Will it happen again? If so, when?  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Szabada

• 2011 Co-Member of the Year
  • Showtime for Free Hero
  • Showtime Karma: 569
NFL Team back in L.A.? Will it happen again? If so, when?
« on: August 13, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »
Basketball Hall of Famer Magic Johnson says Los Angeles is ready for the return of an NFL team.

And he thinks it will happen soon, according to Yahoo! Sports.

Magic Johnson feels that if the Raiders are to move, it should be back to Southern California. "Mark [Davis] knows there's only one place he can go -- that's L.A," he said. "San Antonio? Come on now."

"I think for the first time, I truly believe we're going to get a team. Finally," Johnson said. "Everybody is on board. The city is on board. The business community is on board. The NFL is on board. Finally we have momentum. In the next couple years, at least in the next 24 months, I think one team will be coming. I don't know what team that will be, but I believe in the next two years we'll have a team."

Farmers Field, a proposed $1.5 billion downtown football stadium connected to an expanded Los Angeles Convention Center, is ready for construction. A competing stadium project proposed by real estate magnate Ed Roski in the City of Industry has been ready to push dirt since 2009, with little traction.

Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis and two high-ranking Raiders front-office personnel met with several city officials in July about the potential of moving his team from Oakland to San Antonio, the San Antonio Express-News reported last month.

Johnson, part of a group that bought the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2012 for $2 billion, said he would welcome a Raiders return to Los Angeles.

"It would be great to have the Raiders back in L.A., I would love for that to happen," Johnson said. "But that's going to be up to Mark and the Raiders and the NFL. But I would love to have the Raiders back in L.A. where they belong.

"We just want a team, we want a team in the worst way."

Johnson hung out Tuesday in the Raiders' VIP tent for the team's joint practice with the Dallas Cowboys, alongside former L.A. Raiders including Jay Schroeder, franchise sacks leader Greg Townsend and Jerry Robinson. Johnson was a regular at Raiders games at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and has also been to games in Oakland.

"Al Davis came to all our championship games" with the Lakers, Johnson told ESPNLA 710 AM radio. "I was a Raider season-ticket holder. I'm a Raider diehard.

"Al used to be in his all-white [outfit]. That was so cool. He watched every Finals we had. What was so cool back in the day, we all hung out together -- Marcus Allen, Howie Long -- we hung out with them; they hung out with us. We came to see their games; they came to see our games. I'm just hoping, in the next two years or so, we can finally get a team back to Los Angeles."

Pressed on the Raiders returning, Johnson laughed.

"I would love that," he said. "San Antonio? Come on. The Spurs?

"Mark knows there's only one place he can go -- that's L.A. San Antonio? Come on now. Come on."

Information from ESPN.com Raiders report Paul Gutierrez and ESPNLosAngeles.com's Arash Markazi was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/11346347/magic-johnson-believes-los-angeles-land-nfl-team-next-two-years

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 727
Re: NFL Team back in L.A.? Will it happen again? If so, when?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »
Where do you Raider fans prefer your team to be?

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »
I grew up with them in LA, I'd like them to have a fancy smancy new stadium, don't really care where as long as it's still in California.

Offline SadisticKeith

• Learn to Play Moderator
  • Founding Father
  • In the Showtime for Free, Wolfpack.
  • Showtime Karma: 544
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:27:12 PM »
I would LOVE to see them in Los Angeles! Especially if I still lived in Orange County and still had the option to go to games if they were. They were the L.A. Raiders when I was a kid and that was when I fell in love with them. As with Caine I at least want them to STAY IN CALIFORNIA! Fuck San Antonio. Them leaving California is the only way I could possibly see myself NOT being a Raiders fan anymore. Truth be told I was worried about this shit since Davis died.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:28:45 PM by SadisticKeith »
This my BOOMSTICK!

"Oh, that's just what we call 'pillow talk' baby, that's all"

Ash

Offline Szabada

• Showtime for Free Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:49:03 PM »
Agreed.  If you go on the NFL page you'll see my comments.  They have to stay in CA for me to be a fan still.  If they leave?  I'll be without a football team.  I'd still be partial to them yeah, but thats a breakup in my mind.  Getting dumped... 

LA would be cool.  Staying in Oakland would be fine.  But they need a new stadium.  This shared stadium with the A's is crap.  Complete, crap. 

If they are to share a stadium, do it like they do in Arizona.  Have a portable football field they can roll out on top of the baseball field.  Would that even be possible?  Don't know.  But their current stadium situation sucks.  (I say like Arizona as their football field can be rolled outside so it can get sun, and rain or whatever reason you move your grass outside of the stadium for)

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 08:05:24 AM »
Agreed.  If you go on the NFL page you'll see my comments.  They have to stay in CA for me to be a fan still.  If they leave?  I'll be without a football team.  I'd still be partial to them yeah, but thats a breakup in my mind.  Getting dumped... 

LA would be cool.  Staying in Oakland would be fine.  But they need a new stadium.  This shared stadium with the A's is crap.  Complete, crap. 

If they are to share a stadium, do it like they do in Arizona.  Have a portable football field they can roll out on top of the baseball field.  Would that even be possible?  Don't know.  But their current stadium situation sucks.  (I say like Arizona as their football field can be rolled outside so it can get sun, and rain or whatever reason you move your grass outside of the stadium for)

Yeah the A's need a new stadium too.... the place is old and beat to shit.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 678
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »

I've always stayed a Ram fan.

Offline Szabada

• Showtime for Free Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 11:44:43 AM »

I've always stayed a Ram fan.

good for you. 

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 678
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »
Used to have Season tickets back in the day... they're my team still!

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 08:09:32 AM »
I don't know how I'd feel about the Raiders if  they were to leave California, to be honest the NFL itself is starting to loose my interest fairly drastically.

I'd prefer the team not leave California, because that's primarily where most Raiders fans are, but more importantly, CA needs more teams, not less.

Having another team leave CA would be awful, and I'd be very likely to quit watching the NFL, not just out of butthurt of my team moving, but more importantly, because the NFL obviously doesn't give a shit about California, or generally the West Coast, something that has seemed far too obvious for quite some time. If they don't give a shit about us, why should I give a shit about them?

Offline SadisticKeith

• Learn to Play Moderator
  • Founding Father
  • In the Showtime for Free, Wolfpack.
  • Showtime Karma: 544
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 12:22:23 PM »
I don't know how I'd feel about the Raiders if  they were to leave California, to be honest the NFL itself is starting to loose my interest fairly drastically.

I'd prefer the team not leave California, because that's primarily where most Raiders fans are, but more importantly, CA needs more teams, not less.

Having another team leave CA would be awful, and I'd be very likely to quit watching the NFL, not just out of butthurt of my team moving, but more importantly, because the NFL obviously doesn't give a shit about California, or generally the West Coast, something that has seemed far too obvious for quite some time. If they don't give a shit about us, why should I give a shit about them?

The problem with the NFL right now is Roger Goodell. He doesn't give a shit about anything other than money. I mean now we have games in LONDON!? Fucking LONDON? What the fuck? When did they change it to the (Inter)National Football League?
This my BOOMSTICK!

"Oh, that's just what we call 'pillow talk' baby, that's all"

Ash