Author Topic: Saw this, made me think of Caine  (Read 975 times)

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 729
Saw this, made me think of Caine
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:33:41 PM »
Maybe this is the way to do it.

Last month, a friend of mine - whose only other gaming systems were a PS2 and a Wii, neither of which he'd touched in years - went out and bought a PS3. Knowing I had a decent collection of games, he came over to borrow some. I thought I was helping him out. I didn't know I'd be punching myself in the gut in the process.P

I just felt so jealous. As a video game obsessive, someone who works in and around them literally every day, I consume every game upon release then move on to the next, like a hairy, bipedal locust. P

This helps satisfy my cravings, sure (not to mention staying on top of my job), but it also means that moments of true enjoyment, of hitting those special games that stay with you for the rest of your life, can be months and sometimes even years apart.P

It also means there is a lot of shit to put up with in between.P

My friend, though, he'd missed the entire PS3 generation. The years 2006-2013 just passed him by while he was working, playing sport, getting married and having kids. So in April 2014, when he arrived at my house to catch up, he was not signing up for eight years of waiting, punctuated by brief moments of brilliance.P

He was skipping straight to the brilliance, and leaving everything else - the bad games, the average games, the waiting and the disappointment - behind.123P

I handed him a bundle of discs. There were Uncharted games ("hurry up and get to the second one"). The Last of Us. Red Dead Redemption. Burnout Paradise. The first Modern Warfare ("don't get any others"). I think one of the good Assassin's Creeds, too (maybe Brotherhood).45678P

This guy was going to sit down and over the next few weeks and binge on the very best the PS3 had to offer. It's as close to "all his Christmas' come at once" as he's ever going to get. He is having a blast, just putting in one classic after the next. 9P

Imagine playing the first Uncharted, loving it to death and, instead of waiting two years between games, being able to move straight onto the sequel, which is even better? Or for the first 3D action game you've played since Sands of Time to be the best Assassin's Creed game yet.10111213P

It's an experience people are probably more used to in other forms of media. Getting the box set of a TV show once its off the air, or the collected trade paperbacks of a comic series after it's wrapped up. Gaming, by virtue of it being split across platforms, tends to compel people to buy into a system early then keep returning to the well for games.14P

The rush of experiencing the very best a platform has to offer after its essentially done for is just so rare. Or, at least is in terms of those talking about video games online. Yet from the jealously I felt to the sheer thrill he's having now, maybe it's something we could try more often.P

Get the systems you need to get, sure, but if there's ever a console you're on the fence about, why not wait? Let it age, let it get cheaper then, when it's got all the amazing games it's going to get, dive in and enjoy them all at once. 15P

You might feel left out for a few years, but the binge you get to experience at the end might be totally worth it.
http://kotaku.com/my-friend-just-bought-a-ps3-and-i-am-very-jealous-1572193816

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
Re: Saw this, made me think of Caine
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:35:13 AM »
Get the systems you need to get, sure, but if there's ever a console you're on the fence about, why not wait? Let it age, let it get cheaper then, when it's got all the amazing games it's going to get, dive in and enjoy them all at once.

You might feel left out for a few years, but the binge you get to experience at the end might be totally worth it.

Bingo!

The entirety of the article is a bit extreme, the last few lines sum it up though.

Early adoption doesn't make sense to me and never has. Perhaps it has something to do with the amount of income I've always had growing up. The first console I had that was "mine" was my SNES, which I got about half way through it's life cycle. I had been playing like crazy at friends houses, and all the while of being insanely jealous, I was already filtering out the things I wanted to play and not. On top of that, by the time I finally got my system, the games were cheaper, and I could borrow nearly anything I had interest in from at least one friend.

If the PS4 or XBOne did something truly revolutionary to me I'd be much more prompted to get one or the other. For last gen that was Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It blew my fragile little mind, and it still does. Being a former Sony Fanboy for the ps1 and ps2 era, I immediately jumped ship to Xbot because of one title. To be honest there wasn't anything else on either system at the time I had any major interest in. However, I knew full well that Oblivion would last me more than enough hours to justify a purchase. Provided that purchase was a joint opp between me and friends/roomies at the time, a resource I wish I still had.

So here I am, waiting for the new gen to do something to blow me away, I don't foresee that coming for another year or two, long after at least one price drop on both systems. I don't understand why I'd jump so early, when I can likely get a better sku, cheaper, with an actually library I want to play at a later time.

However, with that said, I sincerely doubt I'm going to see any major exclusive on either console that I will care about. Considering both the PS4 and XBOne are  essentially the same hardware as a PC I don't see why not to save up my dollars and finally return to the PC Master Race from which I was originally birthed.

Next Console on my list, either a PS3 or a 3DS, whichever comes to me brand new for about $100 first.

(Sidenote: At this point I'm more likely to pick up a WiiU than a PS4 or XBOne, that's how exciting the software lineups are to me at this stage.)