Author Topic: The Hybrid that would save Nintendo.  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Averry

• Founding Father
  • All First Team
  • Showtime Karma: 235
The Hybrid that would save Nintendo.
« on: January 02, 2014, 12:34:57 PM »
I've seen this idea tossed around, even lately by Patrick Kelpick, but I had conceived of this before.

The Wii U is struggling and the 3DS is alright. Nintendo has to split it's development capabilities between the two, and one is suffering more from it. In this day and age, of extremely powerful mobile devices, Nintendo needs a change.

ONE CONSOLE. ONE TO RULE THEM ALL.

What excites me about the idea of Windows 8, is that you can theoretically do everything on it, Metro Apps for quick bite sized app functionality on the the go or for play, and intensive windows applications when you need them. I have a Surface Pro, I use it like a play tablet, but I can also pop open full photoshop on it and rock some photos out of that beast. Nintendo needs to adopt that sort of mentality.

The Wii U tablet is an egg on the face. It's nice, but too niche to bail out an underpowered system. Meanwhile the 3DS is a little underpowered and cheap, but has good enough games with a portable mentality to bail it out.

They need a hybrid device, that they can make all games for.

A more powerful hand held, that comes with a TV set top box that streams the games to the TV. Essentially combining the Wii U and the 3DS into one console that can be supported by Nintendo's full development force. Perhaps the set top box has some extra GPU that could natively upscale the hand held games to look better on the Television, I don't know. But Nintendo no longer has the chops to full support a home console when they're biggest strength is games.

I have a 3DS that I enjoy, and I wouldn't mind a Wii U, but accounting for how I would only ever turn the Wii U on to play a specific game every few MONTHS, I'd simply rather put the money some where else.

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 729
Re: The Hybrid that would save Nintendo.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 09:49:43 PM »
Big changes coming?

Facing its third year of continuous losses, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has commented on the struggles facing the company. In a surprise news conference, Iwata admitted he misread the markets and said the company needed to change.

"The way people use their time, their lifestyles, who they are—have changed," Mr. Iwata said. "If we stay in one place, we will become outdated."

According to the Wall Street Journal, Iwata says that Nintendo is considering a "new business structure," and will likely give more details in a strategy briefing at the end of the month. Will Iwata resign?

"In Japan, I can be my own antenna, but abroad, that doesn't work," Iwata said, noting that sales in Japan were better than abroad. This could open the floodgates for Nintendo of America to be more aggressive in making serious decisions for the company as a whole.

Regardless of the company's recent misfortunes, Nintendo is far from dead. While the company is projecting a loss of $240 million for the current fiscal year, it still has more than $4 billion in cash reserves to sustain itself.
http://www.shacknews.com/article/82699/nintendo-proposes-new-business-structure-in-light-of-losses