Author Topic: Showtime for Fantasy Basketball? 2013/14  (Read 7480 times)

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 727
Showtime for Fantasy Basketball? 2013/14
« on: October 17, 2013, 11:46:11 AM »
I think I tried to get a league going last year.  Fantasy Basketball, IMHO, is more fun than fantasy football.  There's always something to watch.  You learn a lot of the new players.  It's just plain fun. I'd be happy to spawn a league if we can get at least 6 people to play.  Preferably 8-10 people, but 6 is adequate as a starter league.  WHO IS WITH ME?!?!?!?!

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 678
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Re: Showtime for Fantasy Basketball? 2013/14
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 01:02:28 PM »
i'm in!

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 01:22:59 PM »
i'm in!

I think a little bit of pee just slipped out!!!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Master X

• Founding Father, Video Game Mod
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 601
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »
How different is it compared to football?

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »

Instead of having a score, you have categories.  We would likely do a 9 category league.  Each category you win, you get a point.  So if you murdered someone, you would win 9-0.  Categories I would set are points scored, assists, steals, blocks, rebounds, turnover/assist ratio, 3 pointers, FG% and FT%.  These are negotiable of course.  We can add more, change the ones I listed, etc. Some people like offensive and defensive rebounds, free throws, 3pt %, and a few others I can't think of right now.  9 category is the standard though.

It is a head to head style deal, so you'll play against another person each week.  There are typically NBA games every night, so there's some kind of action for you to catch every night if you want to.  You can set your lineup daily, or weekly, or several weeks in advance.  I set my lineup weekly and if someone gets hurt, I'll make a mid week adjustment.  

It's a lot of fun.  It's hard to catch all the action on Sunday, but with basketball, you can catch bits of action all week.  

Oh and Master X, I fuckin HATE LeBron, but I've had him in a keeper league and he is an ANIMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Kobe is a BEAST, Durant, Harden, Howard, all those guys, ANIMALS!!!   Basketball is a lot deeper than football as well.  In football you usually only get studs in the first round or two.  Basketball the draft is much deeper.  Yahoo has excellent rankings, so I have good faith that everyone would do very well in the draft.

Also, much like all other fantasy sports, the playoffs happen during the regular season.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 678
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 04:47:08 PM »
Ya...let's go head to head for the week.   those will be fun.   gives us fun for every day of the week against someone.

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 08:02:23 PM »

Primarily games are considerably more frequent so one needs to remain more proactive to be effective, this is easily a pro or a con depending on how much time you want to dedicate to it.

I used to do fantasy baseball, and I'll admit I loved the hell out of it, however, I did too crummy in one to many seasons due to distractions of responsibilities and other bullshit known as "life", so I eventually bowed out.

The greatest thing about Fantasy Football is the one game a week system.

However, I will fully admit I like the category structure of Fantasy Baseball and Basketball significantly more.

Sadly, I don't have the time, or the will to have the time and effort to play, I also don't really give a crap about Basketball, so I will not be joining.