Poll

Will the Lakers make the Playoffs this Season? 2017-2018 Season?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: L.A. Lakers  (Read 39613 times)

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 729
Re: Lakers add Matt Barnes and Theo Ratliff
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 09:27:22 AM »
And the rich get richer.  I love both these moves.  Couple more tall guys.  Barnes gives a nice perimeter threat, and more defensive toughness.  And tho Ratliff is way past his prime, he's still got those long ass arms and he's gonna disrupt some shots.  Nice backup for Bynum.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 04:11:15 PM »
ya i agree.. good pick up.       i like this move better than bell coming.

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 10:46:44 PM »

ya i agree.. good pick up.       i like this move better than bell coming.

I hear ya.  And we got both of them for what Raja was asking for himself alone.

Offline Szabada

• 2011 Co-Member of the Year
  • Showtime for Free Hero
  • Showtime Karma: 569
Lakers Signed Shannon Brown
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 10:31:52 PM »
Two year deal worth a couple of million.  I like this guy, brings a lot of energy. 

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
Re: Lakers Signed Shannon Brown
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2010, 07:51:22 AM »
i figured he'd leave for more money, instead of more rings.        looks like i was wrong.

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
Re: Lakers Signed Shannon Brown
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 09:57:12 AM »

i figured he'd leave for more money, instead of more rings.        looks like i was wrong.

So did I Mid. This is one time I don't mind being wrong. Love Browns intensity. And that guy can elevate! 3peat baby!

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
Re: L.A. Lakers
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 10:22:10 PM »

Lakers open against Houston on Oct. 26

OK, there is more to the Lakers' schedule than playing the Miami Heat and its "Super Friends" of Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh on Christmas Day at home in Los Angeles and facing their rivals, the Boston Celtics and newly signed Shaquille O'Neal, on Jan. 30 at Staples Center.

The Lakers will play 82 games, starting with the opener Oct. 26, at Staples Center against the Houston Rockets. That will be the night the Lakers will celebrate their 2009-10 championship, get their rings and then move forward in their quest to three-peat.

The Clippers will open their 2010-11 regular season Oct. 27 at Staples Center against the Portland Trail Blazers, a nationally televised game on ESPN. They will play host to the retooled Heat on Jan. 12.

The Lakers have a six-game trip from Dec. 10-19 that has a stop in Washington, where they probably will visit the White House and President Obama the day before playing the Washington Wizards. The Lakers play host to Oklahoma City, a young and talented Thunder team that took L.A. to six games in the first-round playoff series, on Jan. 17, Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

The Lakers' longest trip of the season is seven games, from Feb. 5-16, and it includes games in Boston (Feb. 10) and Orlando (Feb. 13). The Lakers play at Miami on March 10, and finish the regular season April 13 at Sacramento.

The Clippers, with new Coach Vinny Del Negro, will finish their season April 13 at Staples Center against the Memphis Grizzlies, a nationally televised game on ESPN. The Clippers are scheduled to play six nationally televised games this season, including Thanksgiving night against Sacramento. It'll give Clippers forward Blake Griffin a chance to display his skills for the first time. Griffin was the No. 1 overall draft pick in the 2009, but missed all of last season after having surgery for a torn medial collateral ligament in his left knee.

broderick.turner@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-nba-schedule-20100811,0,7865545.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fsports%2Fbasketball%2Fnba%2Flakers+%28Lakers+Blog%29

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 06:11:58 AM »
Merry Christmas!!  Gonna be a great game. :)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 07:35:21 PM »

Shannon Brown says choice to stay with Lakers was easy;

Brown, who mulled over offers from several teams, officially signed his two-year, $4.6-million contract. 'This has been the best fit, the best spot, the best everything for me,' the guard says.

For Shannon Brown, it really was simple.

He always wanted to come back and play for the Lakers. He always wanted to re-sign with the Lakers. He always wanted to have an opportunity to be a part of a team that's trying to three-peat.

It took a little more than a month after the free-agency period began July 1, but Brown and the Lakers came to an agreement on a two-year, $4.6-million deal, with his option on the second year.

Brown, who mulled over offers from several teams, officially signed his contract Wednesday.

"This has been the best fit, the best spot, the best everything for me," Brown said at a news conference at the Lakers' training facility in El Segundo. "I sat down and evaluated all the situations from the money to the teams to my potential role on the team. And this has been at the top, No. 1 on the list."

The Cleveland Cavaliers went hard after Brown and one report said the New York Knicks offered Brown a deal worth $4 million to $5 million a season.

"All the rumors out there about everybody offering me all this $4 or $5 million and all of that, that's not true," Brown said. "This was just the best situation for what was going on a chance to win three NBA championships, a great city to live in and everything just felt right."

All summer, Kobe Bryant has helped to recruit players for the Lakers.

It was no different for Brown.

"He definitely told me that if I was to come back that I was going to have a major role helping the bench to help the starters," Brown said. "Helping the team was a major thing. [He told me about] little individual things I had to do to continue to get better on the court and to help the team."

Since he was acquired from the Charlotte Bobcats in February 2009, Brown has played a role off the bench in helping the Lakers win the last two NBA championships.

He averaged a career-best 8.1 points and 2.2 rebounds last season.

Known for his athleticism and tremendous leaping ability as a 6-foot-4 guard, Brown said he has worked all summer on improving his "skill work."

"Obviously everybody knows I can run, jump and all of that stuff," Brown said. "Now it's just more about skills and being able to solidify myself as a basketball player instead of an athlete."

Brown, who suffered a sprained right thumb last season, said he won't need surgery because "it's healed up pretty well."

broderick.turner@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-shannon-brown-20100812,0,3776902.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fsports%2Fbasketball%2Fnba%2Flakers+%28Lakers+Blog%29

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 08:24:12 AM »

Sometimes, the stories write themselves and my job is very easy. Now is one of those times.

Yep, that's Ron Artest(notes) being stopped by police for driving a tiny race car through Los Angeles. Vin Diesel would be proud.

Here's the story, according to TMZ:

Law enforcement sources tell us Artest was cited because the registration on the car was expired. But get this -- we're told the car isn't even registered to Ron ... but somebody out in Tennessee.

Ron -- who was smiling throughout the entire incident -- was eventually sent on his way ... but sources tell us cops were "very happy" he was wearing a helmet.

Ron Artest was driving through Los Angeles in a likely borrowed miniature race car. That's awesome for so, so many reasons. It's almost like he lives his life inside the pleasure centers of every blogger's brain. His reality show will be a bottomless well of astonishing wonder.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ron-Artest-lives-his-life-a-quarter-mile-at-a-ti?urn=nba-268154

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 08:32:09 AM »
I really like Artest.  He's a good story.  Show's that people can change.  He's really turned his life around.  Karma to Ron Ron for this selfless act of kindness.

Ron Artest's championship ring is for sale, inquire for price

The fact that Ron Artest(notes) is promoting mental health in schools today  is amazing in its own right. Considering Artest went from throwing medicine in the garbage to being a government-approved mental-health spokesman in a matter of years, he knows as well as anybody the effectiveness of seeking out help. If that were the end of Artest's foray into mental-health awareness, that would be more than enough.

But since that was only the first graph of a blog post, that's not the end of the story. And really, since it's Ron Artest, there should be no surprise that there's more. Here's the latest development, which just might be more surprising than Artest's school speaking adventure. From NBA.com's Scott Howard-Cooper:

Artest finally won a title in June after 11 regular seasons of trying ... and now he's planning to sell the championship ring as a fundraiser to put more psychologists, psychiatrists and therapists in schools.

"I'm never going to put it on," he said.

Artest plans to soon announce details of what he hopes will become a worldwide auction, and he takes possession of the jewelry in an Oct. 26 pre-game ceremony before the Lakers open against the Rockets. It's an incredible gesture. But it's even more meaningful as a statement.

"You work so hard to get a ring, and now you have a chance to help more people than just yourself, instead of just satisfying yourself," he said. "What's better than that? For me, this is very important."

Awesome? Awesome. No one was happier to win last year's title than Ron Artest, so to see him give up something that obviously means the world to him just to help people is really cool. Better than cool, actually. Splendid? Heartwarming? Delightful? No words, really, but let's go with "astonishing." Yeah, that fits.

Ron Artest is a complicated dude one day he's getting pulled over for driving a miniature race car and the next he's selling his championship ring for charity. Seems like a chill bro, nowadays. Pretty decent basketball player, too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ron-Artest-s-championship-ring-is-for-sale-inqu?urn=nba-268518

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 08:48:49 AM »
that's cool he's doing that.       i would of waited for my second ring though.    that's hard to do.. he might never win another.

Offline Szabada

• 2011 Co-Member of the Year
  • Showtime for Free Hero
  • Showtime Karma: 569
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 09:45:36 AM »
that's cool he's doing that.       i would of waited for my second ring though.    that's hard to do.. he might never win another.

Don't you dare say that!  He's going to get two more, consecutive!  Artest would be so cool to hang out with, as long as you don't piss him off. 

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2010, 09:58:59 AM »

Don't you dare say that!  He's going to get two more, consecutive!  Artest would be so cool to hang out with, as long as you don't piss him off. 

I'd love to party with him!  And I think he'll get at least one more.  He knows the ring is just monetary.  The championship itself will always remain with him. :)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »

Lakers impressed with Steve Blake's understanding of the triangle offense

Standing off to the side, Lakers forward Ron Artest approached Phil Jackson with a potent observation. In just his second practice, Steve Blake already provided a formidable impression.

"Was Steve here during the summer a lot?" Jackson recalled Artest asking him. "Because he seems to know the offense already."

Even casual observers understand the irony in this conversation. Lakers fans may hold Artest in high esteem now for his 2010 NBA Finals' Game 7 heroics and lovable nature, but they also painfully remember Artest trying to figure out the triangle even well into the postseason. They witnessed his questionable shot selection, confusion over where he should move on the floor and transition in becoming a secondary offensive option. Compare that with Blake, and you have the Zen Master praising his understanding, Kobe Bryant crediting his basketball IQ and Blake, himself, sharing his extra off-season work.

"I'm pretty comfortable with it," he said following Monday's morning practice. "The more I see it with five guys on the floor, the more comfortable I'm getting with it."

It's necessary to take training camp developments for what they're worth. The Lakers signed Blake this off-season to a four-year, $16-million deal because of his uncanny court awareness, penetration and passing abilities. While praising Blake's skillset, Bryant pointed out this comes as no surprise given what he calls Blake's "high basketball IQ." The session also entailed no contact and Jackson expects Monday night's practice with contact will prove valuable considering Blake is coming off a minor sprained left ankle that kept him out of the end of Sunday's practice. And Blake, himself, said he's trying to fully understand the offensive terminology.

Still, training camp and exhibition games provide at least an early glimpse of potential and how the team can lay the foundation. Blake's quick acclimation to the triangle reminded Jackson of Pau Gasol's masterful understanding shortly after Memphis traded him February 2008 to the Lakers. Jackson already sees Blake possession as a certain quality that proves critical in properly executing the triangle, which is a pass-oriented offense involving player and ball movement, balanced spacing and constant reads and adjustments on the defense.

"It's a feel," Jackson said when I asked him what's needed in order to master the concepts right away. "It really is more of a feel than anything else. It's pretty simple. But it's a feel of how to do it and the timing that it takes that really is the aspect of playing in this system. All your players have to be fully functioning as playmakers. They have to be able to draw the defense in, know the timing and know the spots that other players are on on the court because everybody is playing a multiple spot that they can play. You see advantage situations and you have to know when those things happen. It's kind of a rhythm that ball players fall into."

For Blake, it also entailed trying to learn early. He asked Jackson to send him a tape highlighting various parts of the triangle. He arrived to the facility two weeks before camp started to work with Lakers advance scout Rasheed Hazzard and special assistant coach Chuck Person  to go over which cuts to make, where to pass the ball and what reads to notice. He's repeated the process over and over to ensure sharpness and consistency. Blake points to having to "immerse yourself in it." And if the Lakers' third practice serves as any indication, Blake's already well on his way.

"I have a feel for it," he said. "I understand when the ball goes one place and a guy makes a cut, you do this or you do that .... It's more when you get out on the court and you make the cuts and you make the passes that you start to pick up on it."

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2010/09/lakers-impressed-with-steve-blakes-understanding-of-the-triangle.html