Poll

Will the Lakers make the Playoffs this Season? 2017-2018 Season?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: L.A. Lakers  (Read 31331 times)

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 727
Re: L.A. Lakers
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 10:45:38 AM »
Dayum  miDnIghtEr20C ! 

A Lakers game in LA and top it off by visiting Matty Leinart?!  I am officially JEALOUS!!

Offline SadisticKeith

• Learn to Play Moderator
  • Founding Father
  • In the Showtime for Free, Wolfpack.
  • Showtime Karma: 543
Re: L.A. Lakers
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 05:53:50 PM »
Dude Caine has a full on bromance crush on Matt Lienhardt he would be sooo jealous if he saw this thread lol
This my BOOMSTICK!

"Oh, that's just what we call 'pillow talk' baby, that's all"

Ash

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
Lakers consider pursuing Bell
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 02:56:35 PM »
The Los Angeles Lakers and guard Raja Bell(notes) will enter free agency with a strong mutual interest to reach agreement on a deal, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Kobe Bryant(notes) has become a strong advocate for Bell, a former nemesis. After missing most of the season with surgery to repair ligaments in his non-shooting wrist, Bell is still expected to be a coveted bench player among contending teams. He could give the Lakers another strong perimeter defender and a solid outside shooting threat.

Bell, 33, was dealt to the Golden State Warriors in November as part of the Stephen Jackson(notes) trade with the Charlotte Bobcats. Bell missed all but six games last season.

Bell famously dropped Bryant with a clothesline foul in the 2006 playoffs, but the two developed a mutual respect and bond. Bell was ejected and suspended a game for the foul, and complained about Bryant’s tactics in the postgame news conference.

“It’s a personal thing when someone continually hits you in the face,” Bell said at the time. “That’s the only way I can put it. I’ve been playing as hard as I can play. I’ve been trying to do a good job, I’ve been trying to be what my team needs me to be, and I continually get hit in my face. There doesn’t seem to be any boundaries or limitations for what he’s allowed to do to me, and at that point, I kind of lost my cool and I took it into my own hands.”

Bell made a league-high 205 3-pointers in the 2006-07 season for the Suns under coach Mike D’Antoni, but his role changed the next season under Terry Porter and he was eventually shipped to Charlotte. Bell averaged 13 points in 45 games for the Bobcats in the 2008-09 season.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AlF6TMyMS_ASzeyEOHCRnBy8vLYF?slug=ys-belllakers062210

Offline SadisticKeith

• Founding Father
Re: Lakers consider pursuing Bell
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 02:42:50 PM »
Wow the Lakers are finally gonna get a consistant back-up?
This my BOOMSTICK!

Ash

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 678
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 04:30:38 PM »
ya.. that would be nice.

Offline SadisticKeith

• Founding Father
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 03:00:14 PM »
Bell would be a great fit.
This my BOOMSTICK!

Ash

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 06:38:00 AM »
Yeah, I think Bell would be a great addition.  We get a capable backup for Kobe, and he'll continue to miss games here and there with that finger, plus Bell adds another tough, don't take shit from nobody, type of player.   I'm all for it.

Offline SadisticKeith

• Founding Father
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »
There are a lot of possible free agents this year though. There are several players who have early termination and player option clauses that may or may not option out and test the FA waters. This next month will be interesting.
This my BOOMSTICK!

Ash

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
Phil Jackson to return to Lakers for attempt at 3peat!
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 04:37:14 PM »
Oh man, what a relief!

Los Angeles Lakers Head Coach Phil Jackson has decided to return to coach the team for the 2010-11 season, it was announced today.

“Count me in,” said Jackson. “After a couple weeks of deliberation, it is time to get back to the challenge of putting together a team that can defend its title in the 2010-11 season. It’ll be the last stand for me, and I hope a grand one.”

Jackson, who most recently guided the Lakers to the 2010 NBA Championship, their second in a row, has won five titles as head coach of the Lakers. Overall, Jackson has guided his teams to eleven NBA Championships, the most of any coach in NBA history.

A member of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, Jackson established a new Lakers franchise record for regular season victories earlier this year, earning his 534th career victory with a win over the Charlotte Hornets on February 3. The fastest coach to 1,000 career victories, his total of 1,098 regular season wins ranks him fifth all-time while his .705 winning percentage is the best in league history. Additionally, Jackson ranks first all-time in NBA postseason history with a .697 winning percentage (225-98). His 225 playoff victories are also the highest postseason win total for any head coach in league history.

“We’re extremely pleased that Phil has decided to return,” said Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak. “With this most recent championship, we’ve now won five titles in the ten years he’s been our head coach and have been to the Finals in seven of those ten years, which is amazing. He’s not only the best coach for this team, but quite simply the best coach in the history of the NBA.”
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/100701philjacksontoreturn.html

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
Re: Phil Jackson to return to Lakers for attempt at 3peat!
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 04:41:41 PM »
wow!   i'm very surprised.

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
Derek Fisher signs 3yr deal with...........
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 07:46:07 PM »
Hell yeah Fish!!! :) Karma for Fish for re-upping!!

Derek Fisher will return to the Lakers.

The deal is a three-year contract, with the third year a player option.

It took a little time, and some give-and-take on the financial front, but the Lakers and Fisher just weren’t ready to part ways.

The Lakers agreed to terms with their veteran guard, bringing back a steadying locker-room influence who just happens to be one of the top clutch shooters of the last decade.

The negotiations got off to a slow start, with the Lakers not willing to match the $5 million per year Fisher was paid under his previous contract. After re-signing Fisher, the Lakers now have two solid, chemistry-enhancing veterans, the other being Steve Blake, at ball-handling guard in their backcourt.

"I have decided to continue with Kobe [Bryant], continue with our teammates and the fans of Los Angeles," Fisher said in a statement. "While this may not be the most lucrative contract I've been offered this off-season, it is the most valuable. I am confident I will continue to lead this team on and off the court. Let the hunt for six begin..."

Fisher repeatedly endorsed playing alongside Bryant.

"At the end of the day, there's one person I could not turn away from. Kobe Bryant asked me to stay but supported whatever decision I made," Fisher said. "He and I have played together for 11 seasons, came into the league together as kids, and has been loyal to me even when others had doubts. We have won five championships together."

Fisher, who turns 36 in August, will be the starter at point guard. Blake, whom the Lakers recently acquired after he agreed to a four-year, $16-million contract, will be the understudy.
http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2010/07/derek-fisher-to-return-to-the-lakers.html

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
Re: Derek Fisher signs 3yr deal with...........
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 09:03:19 PM »
wow!   3 years though?   damn... well.. he's going the distance now.

Offline Szabada

• 2011 Co-Member of the Year
  • Showtime for Free Hero
  • Showtime Karma: 569
Re: Derek Fisher signs 3yr deal with...........
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »
3 years is more than anyone would have thought, true.   But did anyone really doubt whether he'd come back?   I didn't

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 01:56:35 PM »
I like this. :)

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The seemingly hard-to-picture prospect of Kobe Bryant and old nemesis Raja Bell playing for the same team remains alive.

The longtime rivals will sit down for a face-to-face chat Wednesday in Los Angeles to further discuss the feasibility of the Lakers signing Bell in free agency, sources close to the situation said.

Bell is traveling to Los Angeles this week to watch the ESPYs and has arranged to meet with Bryant to hear the Lakers' face of the franchise make yet another recruiting pitch to the 33-year-old swingman.

Bell acknowledged last week in a phone interview with ESPNLosAngeles.com's Dave McMenamin that he has already fielded several phone calls from Bryant, who was unforgettably clotheslined to the floor by Bell in Game 5 of a testy Suns-Lakers series in 2006 that L.A. ultimately lost in seven games.

NBA front-office sources say that Bell continues to draw interest from a variety of playoff teams, such as Miami, Dallas and San Antonio. One source said signing with the Heat has essentially been ruled out because of Miami's financial constraints after signing LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Mike Miller to flank the re-signed Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem. But the Suns are also weighing the prospect of trying to bring Bell back.

Bryant, though, has not abandoned his pursuit and continues to press Bell to join the Lakers, who have only $1.8 million of their mid-level exception left to offer Bell next season after signing Steve Blake.

One source close to the situation said memories of Bell's takedown, which earned him a suspension for Game 6 of the series -- the Suns, down 3-2, won the game at Staples Center without him -- are actually one reason why Bryant sees Bell as such an ideal teammate. The premise? Anyone with the gumption to hit Bryant that hard is someone he wants on his team.

The sentiments between them weren't so pleasant during the 2006 playoffs. After the hit, which earned Bell the nickname "Kobe Chopper," Bell publicly blasted Bryant as a "pompous, arrogant individual" who gets preferential treatment from the refs.

"It's a personal thing when someone continually hits you in the face," Bell said after Game 5.

Bryant then answered with a memorable rant during which he repeatedly referred to Bell, who is two years older, as some "kid."

"Does he know me?" Bryant said. "Do I know this guy? I don't know this guy. I might have said one word to this guy. I don't know this kid. I think he overreacts to stuff. ... I don't know this kid. I don't need to know this kid. I don't want to. We go out there, we play the game and leave it at that. Maybe he wasn't hugged enough as a kid. I look at him a little bit, he gets a little insecure or something. I don't know."

Four years later, Bryant and Bell know each other much better and have buried the animosity.

And the two-time defending champions still have an opening in their backcourt after signing Blake and Monday's re-signing of Derek Fisher, although sources say Shannon Brown has not abandoned his interest in returning to the Lakers for next season's chase of a three-peat.

Bell played only six games last season because of a wrist injury. He began the season with the Charlotte Bobcats, then was dealt to the Golden State Warriors in November as part of the Stephen Jackson trade. The Warriors released him in March, but Bell has been pursued by several playoff teams since free agency began July 1 now that he's recovered from December surgery.
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5375672

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
Lakers add Matt Barnes and Theo Ratliff
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 08:53:33 PM »

Barnes, a former UCLA Bruin and noted defender, turns down more money from Cleveland to join the two-time defending champions.

The Lakers were unable to sign Raja Bell, but another antagonist is on the way.

Free-agent forward Matt Barnes decided to sign a two-year deal with the Lakers, choosing the chance at a championship over a more lucrative offer from Cleveland on the same day Theo Ratliff agreed to a one-year, $1.35-million contract with the Lakers, adding a veteran shot-blocking center to the second unit.

As the Lakers found out last season, Barnes, 30, can pester shooting guards and small forwards alike. He and Kobe Bryant engaged in a trash-talking session in Orlando's 96-94 victory last March that included Barnes pretending to throw an inbounds pass directly at Bryant's face. Bryant didn't even flinch.

The most the Lakers could pay Barnes next season is $1.77 million, about half of what Cleveland was offering, and Barnes has a player option in 2011-12 for almost $2 million that would allow him to test the market again in a year if he wished.

Miami was a possibility for Barnes, and Boston made a late run, but the Lakers had the extra allure of being two-time defending champions.

"It's official," Barnes wrote on his Twitter account Thursday night. "I am a Los Angles (sic) Laker. This is a dream come true!!!"

Barnes averaged 8.8 points and 25.9 minutes a game last season for Orlando, his seventh team since leaving UCLA in 2002. Earlier this week, he appeared to be headed to Toronto for two years and $9 million as part of a sign-and-trade transaction, but the deal fell through.

The Lakers now have 11 players under contract next season, not including second-round draft picks Devin Ebanks and Derrick Caracter, who played relatively well this month on the Lakers' summer league team and could round out the roster. NBA teams must carry at least 13 players.

Barnes and Bryant are believed to be on good terms these days, but it wasn't that way when they played each other a few weeks after the All-Star break. Bryant missed a last-second 20-footer that would have sent the game to overtime and then chuckled three times in a 10-second span afterward when asked about Barnes' in-game behavior. "It's entertaining," he said.

As reporters asked Ron Artest what he thought of Barnes, Lamar Odom yelled out from across the locker room that Barnes was "a monkey" who "picked the right game to act tough." Odom then compared Barnes to pro wrestling's Ric Flair, known for whipping up crowds with his antics.

Meanwhile, the Lakers quietly added another defensive presence by picking up the 37-year-old Ratliff.

Next season will be the 16th for Ratliff, who began his career with Detroit in 1995, when Andrew Bynum was 8 years old.

"I've had a long and very rewarding career, and joining a storied and legendary franchise such as the Lakers adds an even more special element," Ratliff said in a statement, adding that he hoped to help his new team "win a third straight championship."

Ratliff didn't do much with San Antonio most of last season, averaging 1.6 points and 1.9 rebounds in 21 games, though he posted better numbers after being traded in February to Charlotte, where he started 26 of 28 games and averaged 5.1 points, 4.2 rebounds and 1.5 blocked shots in 22.3 minutes.

Defense has always been Ratliff's specialty: He has averaged 2.4 blocked shots in his career and led the league three times in the category.

"Theo has long been considered to be one of the best defensive big men in the league," Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak said in a statement. "Together with Bynum, [ Pau] Gasol, Odom and Artest, he gives us a formidable and deep front line."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-20100723,0,3540183.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fsports%2Fbasketball%2Fnba%2Flakers+%28Lakers+Blog%29