Author Topic: TitanFall  (Read 32659 times)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Re: TitanFall
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 07:30:15 AM »
i would because she seemed really cool and down to earth!    a bit  manly though yes...

does that make me????/

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »
i would because she seemed really cool and down to earth!    a bit  manly though yes...

does that make me????/

I'd hit it, and yes mid, it probably does.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2013, 08:25:20 AM »
 :party: :party: :party: :party:
Respawn Entertainment's Titanfall will be available March 11, 2014, in North America and March 13 in Europe on Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Windows PC, the studio announced today.

The game will be available in a $249.99 Collector's Edition (image below) that comes with an 18-inch statue of a titan ó complete with a motorized cockpit ó set in a diorama with LED lighting. The package also includes a 190-page art book and a poster featuring a schematic diagram of the Atlas titan.

Interested parties can put down a $100 deposit on the Collector's Edition, which is being produced in "extremely limited quantities," at the Titanfall online store. Pre-orders of the $59.99 game itself are also available as of today on Origin, publisher Electronic Arts' digital distribution service, and at a variety of retailers.

Titanfall-collectors-edition_1600

"Since we revealed the game in June we've been absolutely blown away by the reaction to Titanfall," said Vince Zampella, co-founder Respawn, on the game's official website. "The feedback we're getting from fans around the world is fueling our team as we head towards March and motivating us to deliver an experience that lives up to the hype."

Titanfall was originally revealed by a Game Informer cover story this past June, a few days before Respawn debuted the game at E3. It is in development at the studio on Xbox One and Windows PC; an Xbox 360 version is also in the works, but it is being made by an outside company.

For more on Titanfall, check out our hands-on impressions from Gamescom here and in the video below, and our story on Respawn's process of trial and error in designing the game's modes.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/22/4866272/titanfall-release-date

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2013, 08:37:10 AM »
Holy shit that thing is huge.. if I had the money I would pre order that limited edition one with this statue.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 04:03:42 PM »
Megaton... I knew there'd be a reason I never moved this thread to multi game board.

Titanfall an Xbox One, 360, PC Exclusive for Its 'Lifetime'

Update: Respawn's Vince Zampella tweeted in response to this news, "Always MS exclusive at launch, great partner and focus is good for a startup. EA made a deal for the rest, we only found out recently =("

Indeed, it sounds like Titanfall as a debut game will remain a Microsoft-platform exclusive, but the future of the franchise -- once Respawn is no longer a "startup" -- may make its way to PS4. The studio head added, "Of course we will [make PlayStation 4 games], just not the first Titanfall."

There you have it. Titanfall 1, not coming to PS4. Sequels? Totally possible. "Exclusive at launch," mind, refers to the first game, and not the future of the series.

During its quarterly earnings call today, EA squashed recent rumors about Titanfall coming to PlayStation 4. CFO Blake Jorgensen emphasized that Titanfall "is exclusive only for the lifetime of the title on Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC."

Jorgensen also assuaged worries that Respawn was rushing Titanfall to market, declaring the intended release date was always in the March, April, May time frame. "No, we're not doing that at all," COO Peter Moore said on the subject of Titanfall's alleged hurry. He praised Respawn Entertainment's talent, and anticipates it will review "very highly" when it launches in March 2014.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/29/titanfall-an-xbox-one-360-pc-exclusive-for-its-lifetime

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 08:03:30 AM »

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2013, 04:32:03 PM »
:party: :party: :party: :party:
Respawn Entertainment's Titanfall will be available March 11, 2014, in North America and March 13 in Europe on Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Windows PC, the studio announced today.

The game will be available in a $249.99 Collector's Edition (image below) that comes with an 18-inch statue of a titan ó complete with a motorized cockpit ó set in a diorama with LED lighting. The package also includes a 190-page art book and a poster featuring a schematic diagram of the Atlas titan.

Interested parties can put down a $100 deposit on the Collector's Edition, which is being produced in "extremely limited quantities," at the Titanfall online store. Pre-orders of the $59.99 game itself are also available as of today on Origin, publisher Electronic Arts' digital distribution service, and at a variety of retailers.

Titanfall-collectors-edition_1600

"Since we revealed the game in June we've been absolutely blown away by the reaction to Titanfall," said Vince Zampella, co-founder Respawn, on the game's official website. "The feedback we're getting from fans around the world is fueling our team as we head towards March and motivating us to deliver an experience that lives up to the hype."

Titanfall was originally revealed by a Game Informer cover story this past June, a few days before Respawn debuted the game at E3. It is in development at the studio on Xbox One and Windows PC; an Xbox 360 version is also in the works, but it is being made by an outside company.

For more on Titanfall, check out our hands-on impressions from Gamescom here and in the video below, and our story on Respawn's process of trial and error in designing the game's modes.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/22/4866272/titanfall-release-date

new pic of the statue you get.. WOW!   Look how huge it is!   Hmmm.. i might buy this if tax returns line up at the same time.... maybe.    maybe.

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 610
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 10:04:18 AM »
Can't wait for this game... what are the chances the 360 version gets delayed past the XB1 version. I wonder how it looks compared to the XB1 version. Not that I really care, just curious..

If there is a special edition Titanfall XB1 console, I might bite..

Offline Szabada

• 2011 Co-Member of the Year
  • Showtime for Free Hero
  • Showtime Karma: 569
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2013, 10:28:17 AM »
Can't wait for this game... what are the chances the 360 version gets delayed past the XB1 version. I wonder how it looks compared to the XB1 version. Not that I really care, just curious..

I can't imagine why they wouldn't release a Titanfall XboxOne.  It only makes sense to do so.  It's their monster (Titanish?) exclusive. 

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »
Letís talk about the Xbox Live Cloud
Posted by Jon Shiring on Jun 24, 2013
Filed in News

Hi everyone! Iím Jon Shiring, and Iím an engineer working with the Cloud technology that youíve heard about for Respawnís game Titanfall. I have seen a lot of confusion online and I think itís worth explaining more about what weíre doing on Titanfall and also more generally about Cloud computing and dedicated servers.

First, letís take a step back and dive into the common multiplayer design and talk about why Dedicated Servers are better.
Player-Hosted Servers

The vast majority of games will pick a player and have them act as the server for the match. This means that all of the other players talk to them to decide what happens in a game. When you shoot your gun, the server decides if that is allowed and then tells everyone what you hit. Letís agree to call this system ďplayer-hostedĒ for simplicity.

What kinds of problems do you get with player-hosted servers?

What if one player has great bandwidth, but itís laggy? Games are having to choose between different player hosts, and have to make hard decisions about which one should be the host, with two different measurements Ė bandwidth and latency. Sometimes it will pick a host who has good bandwidth, but whose latency isnít ideal. But we donít want the game to make compromises on lag and we really want the game to feel the same every time we play. We really donít want to worry about this stuff Ė we just want to play and have the game feel good.

What about host advantage? The player-host has the game running locally on their machine, so they get super low latency access to the game world. Youíve probably seen this in action as some player seems to see you long before you get to see them or their bullets hit you before yours hit them. That sucks. Nobody should have an artificial advantage in a competitive multiplayer game.

What if the player-host is a cheater?
Since the host gets to make decisions about kills, XP, and unlocks and such, itís really bad if they abuse their power to wipe out your stats, or they cheat by flying around maps and insta-killing people. Itís infuriating, in fact.

What if the host disconnects?
In the ďbest caseĒ for this, you can do host migration if thereís another player who has enough bandwidth and everyone else can talk to them. If you hit that jackpot, you can migrate from the old host to the new one, which pauses the game and then unpauses when the new player-host is ready to start acting as the server. This isnít a fun process, and it can fail.

What if the hostís bandwidth disappears? The game tested the hostís bandwidth at some point and decided that they had enough to host. But someone at their house is now torrenting files and their roommate is streaming Netflix. That ďgreatĒ bandwidth the game detected earlier is now awful bandwidth, and the other players are lagging halfway through a match.

What if some players canít talk to the host? You know all that ďOpen NATĒ stuff? Your home internet router is generally trying really hard to keep bad people out, and games are sort of a weird case where the game is trying to get your router to cooperate and let other players create connections INTO your network. Games need to check if every player can talk to the host and if one canít then that host wonít work. It makes matchmaking slower, and we hate that. Also, by telling you to open up your router, the game is asking you to reduce the security of your home network in order to make the game work. It would be great if you didnít have to compromise your security in order to play games.

What if nobody has enough bandwidth? You got a great group of players together, but nobody has enough bandwidth to actually host a game. You can work around this by compromising your matchmaking a little to make sure that each lobby has a player in it that can be a host. But we donít actually want compromised matchmaking, so this isnít a good fix.

What about players who are paying for their bandwidth or have bandwidth caps?
If you have a bandwidth cap on your home internet connection, or even worse, youíre paying for your bandwidth, what happens when you play a game and later find out that the game thought you were an awesome host? Your home internet connection is now slow or you have a huge bill waiting.
    So if Iím hosting, my machine is doing all this extra work on behalf of everyone else? Yes! You are doing more work on your CPU than all of the other players are. This means the game isnít as cool looking as it could be and everyone else has extra CPU just sitting there. Or worse, their game actually looks better than yours! We think the game should be consistent on every machine in a match. Donít punish the host with a worse game or leave all of that extra CPU sitting empty on the other players machines.

Okay, so player-hosted servers have a lot of downsides. So why do so many games use them? They have one really big upside Ė it doesnít cost money to run the servers! Running hundreds of thousands of servers can be extremely expensive. EXTREMELY expensive. Like ďoh my god we canít afford thatĒ expensive. So your player experience gets compromised to save (large amounts of) money.
Dedicated Servers

Dedicated servers are when a computer sitting out on the internet handles all of the host duties, leaving every client free to just be a client.

You can get even more CPU on your dedicated servers to do new things like dozens of AI and giant autopilot titans!
    Suddenly you have no more host advantage!
    Bandwidth for the servers is guaranteed from the hosting provider!
    You can use all of the available CPU and memory on the player machines for awesome visuals and audio!
    Hacked-host cheating isnít an issue!
    Matchmaking can be lightning fast since itís guaranteed that everyone can connect to your servers.
    And since the servers arenít going to go disconnect to watch Netflix, you donít need to migrate hosts anymore!

The player experience is so much better. This sounds awesome!

But it costs a LOT of money.

This is something I have worked on for years now, since coming to Respawn. A developer like Respawn doesnít have the kind of weight to get a huge price cut from places like Amazon or Rackspace. And we donít have the manpower to manage literally hundreds-of-thousands of servers ourselves. We want to focus on making awesome games, not on becoming giant worldwide server hosting providers. The more time I can spend on making our actual game better, the more our players benefit.

I personally talked to both Microsoft and Sony and explained that we need to find a way to have potentially hundreds-of-thousands of dedicated servers at a price point that you canít get right now. Microsoft realized that player-hosted servers are actually holding back online gaming and that this is something that they could help solve, and ran full-speed with this idea.

The Xbox group came back to us with a way for us to run all of these Titanfall dedicated servers and that lets us push games with more server CPU and higher bandwidth, which lets us have a bigger world, more physics, lots of AI, and potentially a lot more than that!
What is the Cloud?

Amazon has a cloud that powers websites. Sony has a cloud that streams game video so you can play a game that you donít have on your machine. Now Xbox Live has a cloud that somehow powers games. Cloud doesnít seem to actually mean anything anymore, or it has so many meanings that itís useless as a marketing word.

Let me explain this simply: when companies talk about their cloud, all they are saying is that they have a huge amount of servers ready to run whatever you need them to run. Thatís all.
So what is this Xbox Live Cloud stuff then?

Microsoft has a cloud service called Azure (itís a real thing Ė you can go on their website right now and pay for servers and use them to run whatever you want). Microsoft realized that they could use that technology to solve our problem.

So they built this powerful system to let us create all sorts of tasks that they will run for us, and it can scale up and down automatically as players come and go. We can upload new programs for them to run and they handle the deployment for us. And theyíll host our game servers for other platforms, too! Titanfall uses the Xbox Live Cloud to run dedicated servers for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.

But itís not just for dedicated servers Ė Microsoft thought about our problem in a bigger way. Developers arenít going to just want dedicated servers Ė theyíll have all kinds of features that need a server to do some kind of work to make games better. Look at Forza 5, which studies your driving style in order to create custom AI that behaves like you do. Thatís totally different from what Titanfall uses it for, and itís really cool! So itís not accurate to say that the Xbox Live Cloud is simply a system for running dedicated servers Ė it can do a lot more than that.
How is this different from other dedicated servers?

With the Xbox Live Cloud, we donít have to worry about estimating how many servers weíll need on launch day. We donít have to find ISPs all over the globe and rent servers from each one. We donít have to maintain the servers or copy new builds to every server. That lets us focus on things that make our game more fun. And best yet, Microsoft has datacenters all over the world, so everyone playing our game should have a consistent, low latency connection to their local datacenter.

Most importantly to us, Microsoft priced it so that itís far more affordable than other hosting options Ė their goal here is to get more awesome games, not to nickel-and-dime developers. So because of this, dedicated servers are much more of a realistic option for developers who donít want to make compromises on their player experience, and it opens up a lot more things that we can do in an online game.
Wrapping upÖ

This is a really big deal, and it can make online games better. This is something that we are really excited about. The Xbox Live Cloud lets us to do things in Titanfall that no player-hosted multiplayer game can do. That has allowed us to push the boundaries in online multiplayer and thatís awesome. We want to try new ideas and let the player do things theyíve never been able to do before! Over time, I expect that weíll be using these servers to do a lot more than just dedicated servers. This is something thatís going to let us drive all sorts of new ideas in online games for years to come.

I know this got pretty technical and long-winded, so I thank you for reading this far. Hopefully Iíve cleared some things up, and you can see why Iím so excited about what Microsoft has done here and how it is letting us do awesome new things for our game. Iíll see you online in the spring to play some Titanfall on our dedicated servers!
http://www.respawn.com/news/lets-talk-about-the-xbox-live-cloud/

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 729
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 11:22:22 AM »

I can't imagine why they wouldn't release a Titanfall XboxOne.  It only makes sense to do so.  It's their monster (Titanish?) exclusive. 

Aw man, I sure as hell hope they don't release a damn Titanfall XBone.  I'd have to buy that.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 08:40:56 AM »
CONFIRMED... Titanfall is 6 vs 6 with huge ass mech and ai involved as well.   This is perfect.   On the webz there's a lot of people crying over this, but they just don't get the design of what the game makers want.  I'll trust the dudes who made COD 4 on what they want for a smooth experience... and here's a devs post on GAF who schools some people complaining about it.   It was awesome.  :beach:

Lots of armchair game designing going on in here. I'd suggest playing before judging a something as insignificant as a number in a vacuum.

Vince is right - we tried a huge amount of playercounts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best. If anyone wants to chase the numbers game, perhaps we're not the experience they're after? I dunno.

And FYI, for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you'll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can't take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode - meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.

Oh, and I keep seeing people thinking we've got "bots" when we talk about AI. Thats not how they are. The AI in Titanfall are not replacements for human players. Our playercount is not 6v6 because of AI - AI play their own role in the game and are a different class of character in the game.

Can't wait! Only a couple months until speculative threads like this are gone and people are actually talking about their experiences with the game. Its truly fun stuff, and I hope everyone at least gives it a try.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96299528&postcount=558

Offline OneEyedTony

• Tainted
  • Showtime Karma: 2
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 09:42:09 AM »
i think its great that they kept the player count down to really small since they had to make really small maps and stuff. maybe when the xbox one gets extra memory and stuff that people are talking about then they can do more bigger maps and higher play count with titanfall 2

Offline Szabada

• 2011 Co-Member of the Year
  • Showtime for Free Hero
  • Showtime Karma: 569
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 11:38:34 AM »
i think its great that they kept the player count down to really small since they had to make really small maps and stuff. maybe when the xbox one gets extra memory and stuff that people are talking about then they can do more bigger maps and higher play count with titanfall 2

Did you even read the article? 

The game is designed to have AI players as well.  People you can control I'd assume, as in giving them objective orders.  And they carry it out.  Not bots just running around doing nothing but getting shot up. 

Maybe, just Maybe! They've gotten smart and aren't trying to make a COD clone with Mechs where people just run around shooting each other. 

It's possible that in the future bigger maps with more players will be a good thing, but lets see how the first one plays before you're looking to change it...

Offline Averry

• Founding Father
  • All First Team
  • Showtime Karma: 235
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 08:57:31 PM »
Also looks like there will be objective type Gameplay.

So when you have everyone running to choke points, it'll surely be fun. I basically only play Rush on Battlefield 4 for that reason.