Author Topic: XBOX ONE (NEW XBOX)  (Read 50487 times)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 678
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Re: XBOX ONE (NEW XBOX)
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 05:19:09 PM »

Microsoft dismisses Xbox One online requirements and used-game fees as 'potential scenarios'

Reports of Xbox One's online requirements and used-game fees are no more than "potential scenarios" and not concrete details, Microsoft told Polygon via email.

"While Phil [Harrison] discussed many potential scenarios around games on Xbox One, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail," Microsoft told Polygon.

Initial news from Wired stated that those with second-hand or used games would be required to pay a small fee before being able to play.

Additionally, Kotaku spoke with vice president Phil Harrison during today's event, where Harrison told the publication that users would need to connect to the internet every day. Microsoft could not confirm these details.

"There have been reports of a specific time period those were discussions of potential scenarios, but we have not confirmed any details today, nor will we be," Microsoft said.

Microsoft said earlier today that Xbox One would not require an always on internet connection. The statement is echoed on Microsoft's Q&A page, which says that the Xbox One does require a connection, but does not always have to be connected.

"We're designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready," the post reads. "We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection."

You can follow along with all of today's news though our Xbox One StoryStream.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353538/xbox-one-perform-recurring-online-checks-even-for-offline-play

Offline DustoMan

• Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 529
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 05:25:34 PM »
oh shit.. so it's DDR3 ram eh?   Sony beat them.
Except that they mention afterwards that there's a certain amount of RAM that's on the same chip as the processor. Which might make the difference between DDR3 and 5 moot.  We'll see when both systems can be examined up close by the likes of iFixit. DDR3 would also make it cheaper.
please school me Dusto, or anyone else in the know.   All i know is people creamed their pants when Sony said it was 8 gigs of DDR5... and everyone on the boards everywhere are saying that's better than 8 gigs of DDR3.

but please, i hope i'm wrong,..so anyone. please tell me that my MAD lines are okay here!!

well, to be honest, i don't see PSN being anywhere near Live this gen... Xbox Live seems like they improved huge.
So yes, if you are comparing purely specs of paper. GDDR5 trumps DDR3 memory technologies in terms of maximum throughput. If you stop there then Sony has the advantage. However, I think we need to step back and wait and see how the exactly that RAM is utilized in both systems before drawing any conclusions. The G in GDDR implies that all that RAM has a direct pipeline to the GPU. Meaning that caching and loading graphics assets like textures is going to be super fast, but if that RAM needs to be used for anything by the CPU, there's going to be a bottleneck unless they built the data channel between the RAM and the CPU fast enough. And even there, there's going to be a little bit of latency. Based on the Architecture panel after the announcement, it was mentioned that some of the system is RAM is on the same chip as the CPU making that RAM accessible fast just like the GDDR ram by the GPU. How much? We don't know. But so far it seems that both systems are about on par with each other which is a good thing because for us because it means developers will needs to do less to get their games to work well on both systems.
Dusto
dustoman [at] gmail [dot] com

Offline DustoMan

• Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 529
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »
Giant Bomb has a good picture of the back. Notice they are going back to an integrated power supply. The 360 power brick is gone!

great fucking pic!
Also next to the network port, it says IR Out. That's how it's going to control your cable box if it's behind a door or doesn't support HDMI control.
Dusto
dustoman [at] gmail [dot] com

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 608
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 06:53:06 PM »
oh shit.. so it's DDR3 ram eh?   Sony beat them.
Except that they mention afterwards that there's a certain amount of RAM that's on the same chip as the processor. Which might make the difference between DDR3 and 5 moot.  We'll see when both systems can be examined up close by the likes of iFixit. DDR3 would also make it cheaper.
please school me Dusto, or anyone else in the know.   All i know is people creamed their pants when Sony said it was 8 gigs of DDR5... and everyone on the boards everywhere are saying that's better than 8 gigs of DDR3.

but please, i hope i'm wrong,..so anyone. please tell me that my MAD lines are okay here!!

well, to be honest, i don't see PSN being anywhere near Live this gen... Xbox Live seems like they improved huge.
So yes, if you are comparing purely specs of paper. GDDR5 trumps DDR3 memory technologies in terms of maximum throughput. If you stop there then Sony has the advantage. However, I think we need to step back and wait and see how the exactly that RAM is utilized in both systems before drawing any conclusions. The G in GDDR implies that all that RAM has a direct pipeline to the GPU. Meaning that caching and loading graphics assets like textures is going to be super fast, but if that RAM needs to be used for anything by the CPU, there's going to be a bottleneck unless they built the data channel between the RAM and the CPU fast enough. And even there, there's going to be a little bit of latency. Based on the Architecture panel after the announcement, it was mentioned that some of the system is RAM is on the same chip as the CPU making that RAM accessible fast just like the GDDR ram by the GPU. How much? We don't know. But so far it seems that both systems are about on par with each other which is a good thing because for us because it means developers will needs to do less to get their games to work well on both systems.

Interesting... Great post...

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 09:41:42 PM »

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 09:44:32 PM »
interesting...at 7:28 of this video, he mentions that at one point they had the touch screen for the controller, but decided not to have it due to constant looking up and down.   i wish they had it. 

Offline lud0

• Bench Warmer
  • Showtime Karma: 163
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 03:12:54 AM »
Hi guys,

far enough from rumors we've got no ?
Is my english so bad that I am unable to be sure that used game we sell wil not need any fee for the buyer or the answer still unsure ?

What we saw yesterday is all about TV. Pretty cool when you live in the US and absolutly useless in France. Our tv operator are too old school :-(

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 06:29:41 AM »
Hi guys,

far enough from rumors we've got no ?
Is my english so bad that I am unable to be sure that used game we sell wil not need any fee for the buyer or the answer still unsure ?

What we saw yesterday is all about TV. Pretty cool when you live in the US and absolutly useless in France. Our tv operator are too old school :-(
i agree ludo... looks like they're going after north america first, and then europe second.    i'm just hoping the games shown in two weeks are great.. so the world can enjoy the new xbox too.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 06:51:41 AM »
If you joined us for the Xbox One reveal yesterday, you'll probably know that amidst all the excitement, we learned that a single Xbox Live Gold membership will cover both the 360 and the next-gen console. Good stuff -- no extra expenditure, subscription sign-ups or other irritations. But, it gets even better, as a couple of Microsoft bigwigs told Polygon that Live memberships can also used by multiple profiles. That means several accounts can be created on one console, for discrete friends lists, personal Home screens and the like, but they'll all be able to feed off the same subscription. We're not sure how this'll work exactly, but it already sounds better than the Gamertag-specific membership model on the 360, which is responsible for far too many amazing kill stats being lost to the dreaded "Guest" account.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/22/xbox-live-multiple-accounts/

Offline nmcmahan52

• Founding Father
  • Respected Member
  • Showtime Karma: 517
    • project blu, where i attempt to review games
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 09:08:23 AM »
so far it seems like they've had to do more damage control than they should have, had to rebuff the fees, had to rebuff the always on stuff, seems like a pr nightmare

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 09:17:43 AM »
so far it seems like they've had to do more damage control than they should have, had to rebuff the fees, had to rebuff the always on stuff, seems like a pr nightmare
hopefully it's one of those... let's say this now and see how they react.. and then the pull back and everyone cheers.   because if not... uh oh.....

Offline Szabada

• 2011 Co-Member of the Year
  • Showtime for Free Hero
  • Showtime Karma: 569
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »
I think they F'd up.  Honestly.  

Why try and make a Xbox that does everything for the people who can't figure out how to change the channel or source for their TV?  Make a gaming system that kicks ass... at GAMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to manage my fantasy football stats or watch highlights on my Tv through my Xbox... I WANT TO WATCH FOOTBALL ON MY TV!  

I don't want to Facebook or Skype or do any of that other crap on my Xbox. Thats what my computer is for.  I want to play freaking games on my freaking gaming console.  

Only time will tell what will actually happen with this, but right now I'm majorly let down.  But maybe I'm not even let down at all, it just means I won't be all that tempted to spend $500 this fall.  

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:20:15 AM by Szabada »

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Karma: 608
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 11:56:57 AM »
so far it seems like they've had to do more damage control than they should have

Agreed.. not the reaction they were likely expecting..

Offline Master X

• Founding Father, Video Game Mod
  • Showtime Karma: 601
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »
The stuff I seen was pretty cool but an AAA game or 2 would've been nice. Shock and Awe people by letting Rare make Killer Instinct, Jet Force Gemini, Conkers Bad Fur 2, a good Perfect Dark. While Quantum break looks good people wanna see Alan Wake 2.   Come on MS, I hope you have some Aces at E3........ No one cares enough about Call of Duty DLC exclusive -_-

Offline cuco33

• 2011 CO-Member of the Year
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 367
    • eurokult
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »
I have to be honest... 1st off when I saw the conference I was like pretty cool. I didn't expect games to be the main reason behind it but in 1 hr conference they unveiled the console, the controller, the kinect 2, menus and features and tv and media stuff, some specs and some games. So at first I was like pretty cool. Nothing that absolutely wowed me, but it wasn't a flop.

Then I started reading the after reveal interview stuff and kept on reading and I'm confused. Always online, but at least once a day? No used/borrowed games? massive over focus on TV? Every game is installed to non-removable HDD and has a code to activate the game.. WTF?!! This is WORSE than a PC. Consoles are supposed to differentiate themselves from PC and it seems MS is trying to make it more. Overall I don't mind it being an all in one hub that plays games mainly and other stuff second but you need a cable box and extra shit to get extra functionality. Games seem to be an after thought. Seriously, if it wasn't for Forza 5 I would be passing on XO completely for the moment. Right now my day 1 FM5 purchase is going to be delayed until I know the facts. E3 and tons of answers need to happen ASAP.

At least Forza 5 looked sweet. Amazing what T10 does in 2 years on new hardware vs PD who takes up 3 years and still has mostly port work and fixes for GT5 in their GT6 PS3 game.