Author Topic: Windows 8 Help and Hard Times  (Read 3159 times)

OMEGA BOMBS

Windows 8 Help and Hard Times
« on: March 26, 2013, 02:37:09 PM »
Can I view a PDF without it taking up my whole screen?  I dont get this windows 8 sometimes.   I want to open a pdf and still be on my desktop to be on the internet.  What gives?  What do I do?

OMEGA BOMBS

Re: Windows 8 Help and Hard Times
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »
384 views and no reply  :'(

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 678
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 02:45:44 PM »
guest can reply now.. too bad one of them hasn't.   i'm not sure.  i'm still figuring out windows 8.. i'll see if i can find help for you.

OMEGA BOMBS

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 03:46:14 PM »
guest can reply now.. too bad one of them hasn't.   i'm not sure.  i'm still figuring out windows 8.. i'll see if i can find help for you.

No huge deal, I was just surprised it had so many views.  8 hurts my brain, I heard they're at least bringing back the start button. 

Offline Szabada

• 2011 Co-Member of the Year
  • Showtime for Free Hero
  • Showtime Karma: 569
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 08:05:03 PM »
not trying to troll or anything, but I thought Windows 8 was supposed to be all mighty and everything. 

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »
 :uhm no:

that's like someone asking what button is what that does what on some great game and then saying.. HEY!  I thought that game was supposed to be great!
 :chesh:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:24:01 PM by miDnIghtEr20C »

Offline Szabada

• Showtime for Free Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »
what? You used "what" 3 times in a 7 word segment... confusing.

My previous post was based on the title of this thread and how Omega said that windows 8 makes his brain hurt...

I don't know how Windows 8 is, sounds not so good then?  It seems that Microsoft has been pushing the hell out of it, so I thought it would be really good.  
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:11:48 PM by Szabada »

Offline Szabada

• Showtime for Free Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 09:17:07 PM »
Looks like all you have to do is install the desktop version of Adobe Reader?  I don't know.  Just did a quick search and this is what I found.  

Early on in my Windows 8 tenure, I opened a PDF which I had assumed was using the desktop version of Adobe Reader. It transpires that this wasnít installed, and the default Reader (Metro) app from Microsoft was used. Given I was in a rush, trying to read the contents of this PDF, while also wishing to see the pop-up messages from the desktop, things got a little frustrating.

Of course I later installed the desktop version of Adobe Reader and all was well again. However, I couldnít help but think this is all an unnecessary hurdle. These two worlds live side-by-side, yet theyíre not on good terms at all.

Itís worth stressing here that Iíve only touched on what I feel are the fundamental pro(s) and con(s) of Windows 8. I deliberately didnít touch on a whole range of issues that will simply require a user to learn the new world order.

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012/10/25/windows-8-one-thing-i-love-and-one-thing-i-hate/

Offline chaz_uk

• Founding Father, Gadget Moderator
  • Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 511
    • My Google+ Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:43:49 AM »
Yeah. Install desktop Adobe Reader and right click on the PDF, select "open with" and make Adobe reader the default.

I can't stand the way some Metro apps are default on the thing.... :(
Pc gaming, tablet owning, smart phoning gadget user.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
Yeah. Install desktop Adobe Reader and right click on the PDF, select "open with" and make Adobe reader the default.

perfect!  i need to do this too!

thanks chaz!

Offline Szabada

• Showtime for Free Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 04:55:23 PM »

thanks chaz!

:pickit:

Yeah, no thanks to Szabada or anything... didn't Chaz just agree with what I posted as being what you needed to do?   :tumble:  :cig:

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 05:06:17 PM »
sorry brah!   i didn't click your link.  i just looked at what was written.  chaz's was easy for me to understand right away with my simple mind.

you don't need the credit that bad hotshot!!!!  you just came off of a career high 14 rebound game man!!!! :party: :party: :party:

OMEGA BOMBS

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 08:29:55 AM »
Looks like all you have to do is install the desktop version of Adobe Reader?  I don't know.  Just did a quick search and this is what I found. 

Early on in my Windows 8 tenure, I opened a PDF which I had assumed was using the desktop version of Adobe Reader. It transpires that this wasnít installed, and the default Reader (Metro) app from Microsoft was used. Given I was in a rush, trying to read the contents of this PDF, while also wishing to see the pop-up messages from the desktop, things got a little frustrating.

Of course I later installed the desktop version of Adobe Reader and all was well again. However, I couldnít help but think this is all an unnecessary hurdle. These two worlds live side-by-side, yet theyíre not on good terms at all.

Itís worth stressing here that Iíve only touched on what I feel are the fundamental pro(s) and con(s) of Windows 8. I deliberately didnít touch on a whole range of issues that will simply require a user to learn the new world order.

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012/10/25/windows-8-one-thing-i-love-and-one-thing-i-hate/

I feel stupid.  Everything is fixed now.  I just thought adobe reader would be standard with 8.  When I opened PDFs I just ass u me d it was already adobe.  Thanks guys.

Offline chaz_uk

• Founding Father, Gadget Moderator
  • Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 511
    • My Google+ Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »

thanks chaz!

Yeah, no thanks to Szabada or anything... didn't Chaz just agree with what I posted as being what you needed to do?   :tumble:  :cig:

I was agreeing with you! :)
Pc gaming, tablet owning, smart phoning gadget user.

Offline Szabada

• Showtime for Free Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »

perfect!  i need to do this too!

thanks chaz!

Yeah, no thanks to Szabada or anything... didn't Chaz just agree with what I posted as being what you needed to do?   :tumble:  :cig:

I was agreeing with you! :)

Oh I know you were.  

The funny thing is, it seriously took me a 1 minute google search to figure this out.  And I don't even have Windows 8... maybe thats why?   :ninja: