Author Topic: The Playstation 4, Official Thread.  (Read 10375 times)

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
Re: The Playstation 4, Official Thread.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 04:48:04 PM »
So I haven't looked too deeply into this yet, but these are my feelings in regards to Sony's shindig yesterday. I haven't watched it yet, I'm waiting for them to post it to YouTube in HD but this is from the things I've noticed from reading the reports from Polygon, Anandtech, Kotaku, Joystiq, etc.

360 Fanboy Rant:
PS4 at least from a hardware standpoint is a validation of some of the things that the Xbox pioneered. PC-like architecture, unified memory, headphone jack on the controller, stereo cameras for motion control, concave stick design, even the handles on the controller are things that are "borrowed" from the Xbox or 360.  I like how Dave Perry got up there and said this new version of PSN was going to be faster, because it's been really go aweful slow lately.

PC Hardware Geek:
I don't have a lot of faith in AMD making a processor and GPU that will last as long as what the PS3 is based on. That said, I'm really surprised that they are basing this on and x86 architecture when the trend in tech is to go with something ARM-based because of how fast and cheap it is. And if they stuck with ARM, it would make porting to the Vita even easier.  At least the Blu ray drive will be faster, but I'm probably going to be downloading all my games from now on so it's really not going to make my Blu ray movies faster.

Regular Video Game Player:
Meh. I don't see anything that really excites me and makes me want to spend money on this. Show me some more games!

As a guy who has a lot of studying up to do before I buy a PC and has been out of the loop forever, why is everyone bashing AMD? Are the just cheaply made and prone to failure? Also doesn't rumor have it that the nextbox is using AMD as well? If that is the case shouldn't we be concerned for both upcoming consoles?

Offline Master X

• Founding Father, Video Game Mod
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 601
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 05:43:18 PM »
Finally cross chat...

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 678
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 05:50:01 PM »
Finally cross chat...
i bet that will be part of the pay tier they're gonna have.

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »
Finally cross chat...
i bet that will be part of the pay tier they're gonna have.

you better believe it

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 12:56:19 PM »

Current-gen PSN games won't transfer to PS4
Better keep those PS3s around then.

By Jeffrey Matulef Published Thursday, 21 February 2013

Current-gen PSN titles and save data won't transfer to PlayStation 4, Sony has revealed.

Sun setting on the PS3.
Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida confirmed this earlier today when speaking to Endgadget. While the PS4 will have limited backwards compatibility via the console's cloud-streaming services, it won't transfer your game data and thus you won't be able to transfer your library of PSN games.

This realises a fear many consumers have had over the past several years as the digital marketplace has become an increasingly accepted means of purchasing goods - many of which are only available as downloadable content. This raises concerns regarding how long PS3 - and Vita - titles will be available on the PlayStation Store once the current-gen consoles are phased out.

So say your PS3 dies in seven years and you buy a new one to play all your older games on. Would you still be able to reclaim all your lost content tied to your PSN account for a console that's no longer being manufactured? Or would you have to buy, oh let's say Journey, again on PS4, despite having already purchased it before?

This could be a major issue as over the last half decade we've seen a lot of classic games get the HD treatment and collectors have taken to bulking up their libraries with these upgraded definitive versions of their favourite games. If all these titles are tethered to a console that may or may not still be supported in a few years it could really put a damper on the whole prosperity thing.

We've posed these questions to Sony and are awaiting reply. We'll update as we learn more.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-psn-games-wont-transfer-to-ps4

ZERO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY!? NO PS1, PS2, PS3, OR PSN GAMES AVAILABLE ON PS4

Yeah got a strange feeling there isn't a chance in hell Sony will ever get my money, EVER again.

PAY ATTENTION MS! Don't you dare try and pull this shit, you best be backwards compatible and I best be able to play all of my XBLA and XBLIndie games on the nextbox!

Offline DustoMan

• Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 529
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 02:15:11 PM »
AMD used to have issues with reliably, but these days they are just a more budget option.  I would never build or buy a PC/Laptop with AMD unless I couldn't afford a decent Intel/NVidia system. In the PC space, AMD has a tenancy have more driver issues that Nvidia.

These are custom built chips though, so we shouldn't have to worry to much about reliability especially since the whole red ring Microsoft fiasco. Engineers should have learned their lesson.

So I watched the whole presentation last night. The first half was so much of an apology to developers it was almost embarrassing.  The PS3 may have been the stronger system, but if your developers have to spend all their time learning the how to program for the system best instead of just making something great it's not good. There's a reason why they were saying there was going to be 8GB of unified memory and a x86 based CPU. Because the Cell and it's SPEs were a real bear to wrangle.  And the small about of system RAM kept features like cross game chat from being implemented. It's not because they didn't want that feature, it was because there wasn't enough system resources available to do it. Another example is when they said that there was going to be a dedicated "processor" for downloads too.

And then Sony brought out Jonathon Blow... holy crap... the indie game poster child.  And then Blizzard after that.  It reminded me of when they brought out Gabe Newell at E3 to say Valve was bringing Steam to the PS3. (For one game... does Counterstrike:GO have it too?)

I'm really interested to see what from the presentation will actually come to fruition during the life of the next console. Everything is said in such a non-committal way. Will remote play be as robust as they hope? Will it be on as many phones or tablets? Cause so far the Playstation Mobile support has been pretty pathetic. I do think the share features will be implemented at least the live streaming and video uploading.  Remote control would be a little tougher.  We'll see. I'm for sure still interested in the system. I want to see more though.
Dusto
dustoman [at] gmail [dot] com

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 02:48:54 PM »
Right on Dusto I appreciate the explanation for us non PC guys! Karma for you!

Yeah I kinda knew that AMD was the... cheap/cheaper option out there, which obviously comes with it's own source of problems. I didn't know to what extent however. Also, yeah if I was going to drop big money into a PC I'd do my research and get the best stuff I could at my price point at the time. I might go cheap on HDD or something of the like if I could, but as far as GPU's go, no freaking way.

Of course it makes sense that both Sony and MS would want the most power they could get for as cheap as possible so AMD makes a lot of sense. As you said, due to the fact that they are custom, hopefully that wont spell big problems for either system. I mean rumor has it MS is going AMD right?

Finally, yeah, a lot of the "big" features Sony was touting were seemingly very "prototype" ideas. We'll see how any and all of this sharing, play as you download, etc. stuff actually plays out. Especially since last I checked Sony had a bigger share of the market in areas that don't necessarily have the best broadband connections to be able to pull this sort of stuff off.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:51:17 PM by Caine »

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »
good post Dusto.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »
as far as we know Caine... Durango should play most of the games from the 360.  :)    hopefully.

Offline Vapor

• 2011-2012 Showtime for Free Pick 'em Champion
  • Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 317
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 04:48:16 PM »
as far as we know Caine... Durango should play most of the games from the 360.  :)    hopefully.
weak...this is the same fail the had last time..spend time to make a new console and games but still want people to play the old shit on the new shit...new xbox and ps4 should only be new games if u want to play the other shit keep the 360 pluged in ,,peple have more than 2 hdmi slots for their tv now..if deep down and watch dogs are only on ps I will be getting one those games look great
21:07:32 VOLTAN: lotion took he ard black dick straightn up the ole galleys arse, with a +4 roll. biotch

(23:06:28) Szabada: If I had started Tannehill over stupid fuck face Cutler

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »
as far as we know Caine... Durango should play most of the games from the 360.  :)    hopefully.
weak...this is the same fail the had last time..spend time to make a new console and games but still want people to play the old shit on the new shit...new xbox and ps4 should only be new games if u want to play the other shit keep the 360 pluged in ,,peple have more than 2 hdmi slots for their tv now..if deep down and watch dogs are only on ps I will be getting one those games look great

Some of us don't enjoy clutter in our entertainment systems as others first of all. On top of that, not all of us have HDTV's still and many of us don't have HDTV's that have more than a few HDMI slots as well. What if I have three and each of them are taken up by a ps3, 360, and a blu player? Wouldn't it be really nice to be able to just put in my PS4 and not worry about it? As far as not having physical backwards compatibility, that's not really a deal breaker, and I get it but PSN games? That just seems ridiculous. I don't know about you but one would assume that something called a Playstation Network might actually be... gee... I donno.... A NETWORK!? On top of that they specified that all this content would be available on the cloud network for purchase. So yeah, you can go ahead and play things like Journey on PS4 probably, you can play all your PS1/2/3 games on it, you just have to buy them again.

And yes Mid, I do know about our nearly a year old information. A lot can happen in that amount of time. Also we weren't necessarily confirmed that all XBLA/Indie content would be available. The way our info was worded it seemed far more directed towards disc content.

I'd be peeved if MS did something like this, however since they haven't announced anything as of yet, saying backwards compatible everything would definitely put some smack down on Sony.

P.S. - Pretty sure Infamous Deep Down will only be available on PS4, maybe on ps3? Not sure how likely that is though. Watch Dogs has been confirmed for everything current and next gen.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 05:38:59 PM by Caine »

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 06:20:09 PM »
the news about the Durango being BC was from late last month.  :)  pretty new news still.  so i'm guessing that will be real.

(09:32:41) miDnIghtEr20C: some of guys on hdd say they won't buy unless it's bc
(09:32:47) miDnIghtEr20C: hope it's bc a bit!!
(09:33:46) miDnIghtEr20C: i'm getting so excited for the start
(09:33:46) Source:: Something they don'tmention, though, is the new box will have TWO scaler chips... and what's cool about that is the UI can always be 1080p, while in-gamerendering resolutions can scaled to increase perf as needed... two dynamic resolution planes.It's nifty.
(09:34:29) Source:: It'll defintely be BC... definitely. But, will every game work? Probably not...
(09:34:31) miDnIghtEr20C: nice
(09:34:42) miDnIghtEr20C: OH SHIT!
(09:34:45) miDnIghtEr20C: thanks for that tidbit!
(09:34:48) miDnIghtEr20C: that's awesome

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 06:39:47 PM »
the news about the Durango being BC was from late last month.  :)  pretty new news still.  so i'm guessing that will be real.

(09:32:41) miDnIghtEr20C: some of guys on hdd say they won't buy unless it's bc
(09:32:47) miDnIghtEr20C: hope it's bc a bit!!
(09:33:46) miDnIghtEr20C: i'm getting so excited for the start
(09:33:46) Source:: Something they don'tmention, though, is the new box will have TWO scaler chips... and what's cool about that is the UI can always be 1080p, while in-gamerendering resolutions can scaled to increase perf as needed... two dynamic resolution planes.It's nifty.
(09:34:29) Source:: It'll defintely be BC... definitely. But, will every game work? Probably not...
(09:34:31) miDnIghtEr20C: nice
(09:34:42) miDnIghtEr20C: OH SHIT!
(09:34:45) miDnIghtEr20C: thanks for that tidbit!
(09:34:48) miDnIghtEr20C: that's awesome

Oh shit, my bad, I thought that was from e3 last year news. Kindly disregard.

However, it does sound like he meant physical media, I'd like a secure confirmation from him on XBLA/Indie stuff. I know he's busy as hell but if he shows up, I'd really appreciate what little info he might be able to give regarding this. This PS4 news just has got me all edgy and paranoid now....

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 11:28:26 AM »
http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS3_discs_should_work_on_PS4!!!!!!!!!!!

A nice little wiki of what can and can't be played on the ps4. Though I must say I find the title amusing.

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 11:31:21 AM »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: