Author Topic: The Playstation 4, Official Thread.  (Read 11010 times)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
The Playstation 4, Official Thread.
« on: February 20, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »
It's here... all news from today in here boys!

You’ve seen the leaked pics, you’ve heard our thoughts, and now it’s official.

Titled the DualShock 4, Mark Cerny revealed that it sports a front touchpad, a share button the normal face buttons, a speaker, a headset jack, redesigned L2 and R2 buttons and a light. There will also be a stereo camera, but it wasn’t detailed in depth.

Be sure to stay tuned to PSLS for more!
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/02/20/ps4s-new-controller-officially-revealed/

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
Re: The Playstation 4, Official Thread.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 06:40:06 PM »
News is there is no news.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 06:42:45 PM »

What we learned at the PlayStation 4 event
by Jessica Conditt   on Feb 20th 2013 9:00PM

Sony didn't disappoint with its super-secret conference today, unveiling the PlayStation 4 and a heap of games to go with it. While some of our predictions went unfulfilled – we didn't really expect to hear anything about The Last Guardian anyway – Sony made up for it with a few surprises, such as Diablo 3 coming to PS4 and PS3.

Here's a quick roundup of the major announcements from Sony's two-hour-long conference:

The PlayStation 4 is a thing, and it's coming holiday 2013. The PS4 has 8GB of memory, a local hard drive and x86 CPU, alongside a secondary custom chip that allows users to play games while they download (and will eventually read our minds).

The DualShock 4 controller features a touch pad front-and-center, alongside a headphone jack and share button that broadcasts games to other players in real-time. An additional "light bar" helps identify individual players and turns the gamepad into a Move controller, though the Move still works with PS4. The share button uses tech from Gaikai.

The PlayStation Cloud streams PS1, PS2 and PS3 games, since it appears the PS4 won't be able to play legacy discs. The Vita will be able to play PS4 games remotely.

And then there are the PS4 games: Knack from Mark Cerny, Killzone: Shadow Fall from Guerilla Games, Driveclub from Evolution Studios, Infamous: Second Son from Sucker Punch, The Witness from Jonathan Blow, Watch Dogs from Ubisoft, Diablo 3 from Blizzard, and Destiny gets Sony-exclusive content from Bungie. Quantic Dream and Capcom showed off some pretty tech demos, including one for Capcom's new original IP, codenamed Deep Down.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/20/what-we-learned-at-the-playstation-4-event/

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 07:00:30 PM »

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:14:53 PM »

Why Didn’t We See The Actual PlayStation 4 Tonight? Sony’s Boss Explains.

Well, that was weird. We got a console reveal without Sony actually revealing the console. It's left a lot of people confused, maybe even concerned, so given the chance we had to ask: where was the PS4?

"Why do you care?", laughs Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony's Worldwide Studios.

Pressed as to what we should be reading into when we get a console reveal without the reveal of the console, Yoshida tells Kotaku "It was almost the other way around. When we planned for this event, obviously we discussed what we should show and talk about."

"As far as the DualShock 4 is concerned we wanted to do the live demo. And we were like, yeah, we have to show the controller, because it's awkward not to show the controller when someone is doing a demo. And also the feature that the DualShock 4 has, the share button, is a very key idea behind the design of the PS4... We really wanted to explain what we've done with the DualShock 4, but as far as the system itself we have to keep something new for later. Otherwise you'd get bored."
http://kotaku.com/5985824

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »
Heh I thought about posting a couple of those. Think joystiq had one too.

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 729
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 08:09:34 PM »

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 09:13:51 PM »

Offline DustoMan

• Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 529
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 07:49:51 AM »
So I haven't looked too deeply into this yet, but these are my feelings in regards to Sony's shindig yesterday. I haven't watched it yet, I'm waiting for them to post it to YouTube in HD but this is from the things I've noticed from reading the reports from Polygon, Anandtech, Kotaku, Joystiq, etc.

360 Fanboy Rant:
PS4 at least from a hardware standpoint is a validation of some of the things that the Xbox pioneered. PC-like architecture, unified memory, headphone jack on the controller, stereo cameras for motion control, concave stick design, even the handles on the controller are things that are "borrowed" from the Xbox or 360.  I like how Dave Perry got up there and said this new version of PSN was going to be faster, because it's been really go aweful slow lately.

PC Hardware Geek:
I don't have a lot of faith in AMD making a processor and GPU that will last as long as what the PS3 is based on. That said, I'm really surprised that they are basing this on and x86 architecture when the trend in tech is to go with something ARM-based because of how fast and cheap it is. And if they stuck with ARM, it would make porting to the Vita even easier.  At least the Blu ray drive will be faster, but I'm probably going to be downloading all my games from now on so it's really not going to make my Blu ray movies faster.

Regular Video Game Player:
Meh. I don't see anything that really excites me and makes me want to spend money on this. Show me some more games!
Dusto
dustoman [at] gmail [dot] com

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:19:44 AM »

Single chip custom processor
8 Jaguar cores x86 CPU
1.84 Teraflops GPU (18CU)
Quote:
The GPU contains a unified array of 18 compute units, which collectively generate 1.84 Teraflops of processing power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or some mixture of the two.
8GB GDDR5 176GB/s unified
Quote:
Immediate Gameplay
PS4 radically reduces the lag time between players and their content. PS4 features “suspend mode” which keeps the system in a low power state while preserving the game session. The time it takes today to boot a console and load a saved game will be a thing of the past. With PS4, gamers just hit the power button again and are promptly back playing the game at the exact point where they left off. Additionally, users can boot a variety of applications including a web browser when playing a game on PS4.
PS4 also enables games to be downloaded or updated in the background, or even in stand-by mode. The system takes it one step further by making digital titles playable as they are being downloaded. When a player purchases a game, PS4 downloads just a fraction of the data so gamers can start playing immediately, and the rest is downloaded in the background during actual gameplay.
Quote:
DUALSHOCK®4 features a light bar on the top with three color LEDs that illuminate in various colors. The light bar illuminates to match the color of characters in a game to offer a simpler, more friendly way to identify players, even when playing side by side. The light bar also changes patterns during gameplay to provide useful information to gamers, such as when a character is critically low on health or has taken major damage.
Quote:
Combined with the Mono Headset that will be bundled with PS4, gamers will also be able to chat with friends playing online, while hearing sound effects from the controller in hand.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514512

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 08:28:10 AM »

OMEGA BOMBS

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 10:06:08 AM »
8 cores and 8 gigs of memory looks nice.  Pardon my ignorance on hardware, but how much better is this?  I expected a completely high tech super gaming computer style console...is it?  Seems like a 360 on steroids.  Is the 720 going to be about the same as ps4?

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 11:40:44 AM »

For those of you who missed it initially here's a nice little round up of everything you need to know.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline SfF Admin Bot

• X-BOT
  • I'm a Small Wonder
  • Administrator
  • Tainted
  • Showtime Karma: 65535
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »
I am the Admin Bot.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:43:35 PM by Admin Bot »

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »