Author Topic: Begun, the Next Generation Console Wars Have...  (Read 19268 times)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Begun, the Next Generation Console Wars Have...
« on: February 15, 2013, 01:38:26 PM »
It goes down starting Feb 20th!   The Announcement of the PS4.   Then Microsoft will Strike Back!   This is the thread to Smackdown the competition.  Be it you're Pro Sony, or Pro MS, feel at home in this thread... AND MAY YOUR CONSOLE WIN!   :PS3: :xbot:

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
Re: Begun, the Next Generation Console Wars Have...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 610
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 07:11:01 AM »
Some good ones there.. it's nice to see the SDF so energized for a change!

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 05:03:16 PM »
uh oh!   new Playstation gonna make you pay for online play?    oh wow!    that would be huge for the naysayers!  Also. Dent says this...

Kevin Dent is saying on Twitter the price will be around $350-$430 depending on the sku, but to expect to pay for services like MP and voice-chat. He also says the price is likely to be announced tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/TheKevinDent

A reliable Kotaku source has informed us that the PlayStation 4, codenamed Orbis, will be out this November in the United States.

Our source—the same reliable source who back in early 2012 told us the codename for Sony's next console and the codename for Microsoft's next console—tells us that there are two models planned for the new machine, and that pricing won't be announced until later this year, possibly around E3. The current plan, our source says, is to release them at $429 and $529, but that could change.

Although nothing is confirmed just yet, as we get closer and closer to the release of Orbis, which Sony is expected to officially announce during an event in New York City tomorrow night, we continue to hear more details about what will ship with the new hardware. Back in January, we learned about the PS4's new controller, which has a small touchpad in the center, and the fancy new user account system that will allow multiple people to log into one console at the same time.

New information revealed by our source suggests that on top of all that, you'll also be able to control the PS4 remotely from your tablet or smartphone. You'll be able to use a mobile device to chat with your PS4 friends or buy games which are then automatically downloaded to your machine, our source says.

Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus.

(No word on whether that's related to PlayStation Cloud, domains for which Sony registered on Friday. We couldn't find any domains or trademarks registered for PlayStation World.)

Some other tidbits: our source says that every PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye; that a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard, even when you don't own the game they're playing; and that the console will support local network play via Vita.

Also via our source, some new photos of a PS4 prototype controller, which match up with other photos that we've seen and verified. One is above. The other:

Current photos of the PS4 controller are inconsistent with some of the information we've received. For example, we've seen Orbis documentation that details a "share" button, and Edge magazine corroborated that not long after we reported it, saying that the controller's share button will record gameplay and allow you to share it online.

This controller doesn't seem to have a share button at all, although it's possible that the functionality has been wrapped into the all-purpose PlayStation button, which is a carryover from the PS3's DualShock controller.

Pictures of the prototype controller also match up with what we've reported about the touch pad and LED light, which you can see on the controller's back in the photos we've received.

We've reached out to Sony for comment and will update should they get back to us. Sony is expected to announce their new console tomorrow night at an event in New York City. Kotaku will be there reporting news as it happens.
http://kotaku.com/5985356/source-the-ps4-will-be-out-this-november-and-youll-be-able-to-control-it-with-your-phone

Offline RandomHero918

• 20C Member
  • Keeping it real...Real special.
  • Showtime Karma: 513
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 05:53:34 PM »
Shit is heating up!!! I look forward to these new consoles.  :lurker:
XBL - RandomHero918
PSN - RandomHero918

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
Shit is heating up!!! I look forward to these new consoles.  :lurker:
i hear that!    it's going to be win for us all i think.   one trying to beat the other.  both doing similar things, but also different.   :party:

i love it!

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 01:09:02 PM »
Source Says: One senior Sony official, who asked not to be named, said he was informed that the PS4 showcase in New York had "at first caught Microsoft off-guard".

"We definitely ruffled some feathers," the person said.

It is said that Microsoft will now showcase its console at a one-off media event in early April - though it is expected that discussion about future tech would be an inevitability if Microsoft engineers and developers attend GDC in March.

[UPDATE: Microsoft partner Ustechs, which has worked with the platform holder on previous media briefings such as the E3 2012 press conference, has registered the domain XboxEvent.com (as explained on NeoGAF)]

Microsoft has declined to comment on its next-gen plans ever since rumours began two years ago.

Sony revealed the PlayStation 4 at a New York press conference on Wednesday.

The PS4 release date is set for "holiday 2013", likely across Japan, Europe and the US.
http://vgrumors.com/-33221651113.html

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 07:51:57 PM »

5 Things Microsoft Can Do At Their Xbox Event To Beat Sony To The Punch

Sony did a great job announcing the PS4 to the world earlier this week, but here are some of the things we think Microsoft should do in order to surpass their competitor for their own reveal:

1- Be more clear about the features

All of the PS4’s features are certainly very interesting. With Gaikai joining the party, we can certainly expect fantastic social features from Sony’s console. Add in Vita streaming, cloud-based backwards compatibility, shades of "The Netflix of Gaming" as well as live streaming and uploading, and you’ve got a fantastic package that could interest a lot of people for sure. The only problem with that is that Sony remained quite vague about what features will actually make it into the PS4 at launch. Knowing their track record, it’s certainly not far-fetched to think that some of those may not make it at all, or simply never work as intended (see PSP remote play with PS3 titles such as lair). If Microsoft can remain very clear and upfront while showing their new console’s features by stating everything that will be there from day one and ignoring future possibilities and vague concepts, they might paint a much clearer, understandable and attractive picture for their customers. Especially if they can match most or all of Sony’s promises.

2- Focus on announcing games

The PS4 conference was surprisingly heavy on game reveals, but it’s clear that Sony is holding back some of them for later. While Sony decided to announce a handful of games while interchanging between live gameplay, tech demos and trailers, Microsoft could beat them to the punch by announcing every single game they have in the works for their new console, while saving the good stuff such as live gameplay demos for their E3 conference.

3- Show the console

To be honest, I didn’t particularly care when Sony decided not to show the actual system at their PS4 meeting. Like they said afterwards, it’s just a box... there’s nothing special about it. Or is there? Look, I know it’s a shallow thing, but I do believe that it’s exciting to see new hardware, if only to get a good idea of what we’re purchasing in the near future and to associate all the cool features we saw with a neat, tangible thing. As many fans have pointed out, it just makes it all feel more "real".

4- Reveal all the details on Xbox Live 3.0

Will PSN still be free? What features will be included? What happens with PlayStation Plus? For a system with enhanced social features and network connectivity, Sony certainly didn’t feel like sharing all the details on their online model was that necessary. People want to see these things, and hopefully Microsoft will decide to show what they’ve got.

5- Tell us about how powerful the system is

Sony definitely had a stellar conference earlier this week, but if there’s one thing they really nailed, it’s showing us what the system was capable of. Beyond the game demos and shiny new visuals, they spent a lot of time explaining what the PS4’s specs were going to be like... and people came away impressed with the new tech. Now, many people are speculating that MS will be trailing behind in terms of raw power. Even if it’s the case, Microsoft needs to reassure its fans that console parity will still be achieved on the technical side of things.

All in all, the main thing Microsoft needs to avoid doing is taking the same approach as Sony. The PlayStation manufacturer did a stellar job presenting their new product and if Microsoft uses the same strategy, it’s unlikely they’re going to stand out since the effect of being first to reveal the next-generation is a clear advantage. Instead of holding back on announcements and overall details, they need to go all-in and show us more, then leaving E3 to focus on live gameplay demos and pricing details. Whatever they decide to do, it’s certainly going to be interesting to be a gamer in the next few months...
http://www.gamefocus.ca/blogs/237.html

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 04:49:32 PM »

SCEA Confirms PS4 Games Will Be Playable at E3

In the latest interview the President of Sony Computer Entertainment America, Jack Tretton, confirms to Bloomberg that PlayStation 4 games will be playable at E3 this summer. Will the next Final Fantasy for next-gen be playable at E3? Maybe… What about Killzone: Shadow Fall and other games announced at PlayStation Meeting? Very likely.
http://squareportal.net/2013/02/26/scea-confirms-ps4-games-will-be-playable-at-e3/

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 09:44:58 PM »

Clifford Unchained
The brain droppings of a formerly employed videogame ninja. Beware of language, bad puns, and Grues. Ladies and Gentlemen, Cliff Bleszinski tumbles.

4th and Inches for Sony

So Sony showed their goods and came out swinging last night. The show started slowly and got progressively more interesting as the night went on. I’m not going to do a live blog of it (I already did a smarmy twitter rant for the first hour or so) but I will post some thoughts on what I saw.

My old friends at Epic continued with the sequence/story of their sweet tech demo. Nice to see such destruction happening in the environment. I used to be office mates with one of the guys who is instrumental in putting those demos together and I can imagine the amount of hard work that went into it. The static nature of the current generation of environments has always bothered me. Recent examples such as the new Devil May Cry and the ending of Dead Space 3 have changed that, but at the end of the day, without a unified lighting model and some serious power you’re going to have a lot of pre-baked/faked destruction. Next Next generation (what the fuck are we calling this?) hopefully will change that a bit.

Mark Cerny is a great guy, anyone in the business will attest to this. He’s a vet who is STILL going at it as hard as ever. He’s got that childlike sense of wonder about him, and he was perfect on stage. I wanted to hear what he had to say. He was like an American Molyneux last night with his ability to keep you hanging on every sincere word. That said, while I think the new game “Knack” looks interesting I can’t help but wonder why one would make a younger skewing title such as that for the early cycle of a console when the first buyers are usually the earliest adopters who are the older crowd with the most money. (Perhaps it’s because those early adopters are now in their late 30’s and have kids of their own?)

It looks like Sony has FINALLY fixed their controller. The thumb sticks will now embrace your digits instead of fighting them the entire time. The thing looks SOLID instead of like a cheap knock off controller that would break the second you got frustrated with a God of War quicktime and tossed the damned thing. The small touchscreen is a nice addition, but one has to wonder about the location of it. Might be hard to get to considering where the sticks are.

I’ll be honest…I never “got” Killzone. I always thought the game was visually impressive. The environments and the level design sound, the guns look great and shoot well…but for some reason I never liked the universe that much. It never felt as tangible as a Metal Gear, or a Halo, or a Mario. It just felt like a great looking shooter with “floaty” controls. As I mentioned on Twitter, I think there’s a ton of talent at Guerrilla and I was hoping they’d make a brand new property.

The new Infamous Second Son trailer was extremely exciting. It felt like Watch Dogs Superhero Edition. Very Warren Ellis vibe to the whole thing initially… and then, to have to rest upon the “Infamous” brand bummed me out. Infamous games are fantastic but never seemed to sell as well as they should have and it feels like someone in marketing got nervous launching an all new world so they had to fall back to the Infamous branding. Watch Dogs stole E3 last year partially because it was a whole new “thing” and not “Assassin’s Creed: 2024” edition.

There is never a better time to launch new Intellectual Property in videogames than at a console transition. Gears and Halo “got” this.

Signing Jon Blow’s “The Witness” was a stroke of genius to show that Sony doesn’t just care about guns, cars, and explosions. Jon’s on his own level design wise and I’m looking forward to his new project. It feels fresh and new and exciting.

I like Dave Cage as a developer and as a person but I wish he’d just give us his new game so we can see if he’s backing up all the smack he’s talking at the various events he’s been going to. (I know the irony of a semi-retired developer posting this about someone else who is still shipping products.) I love the types of games Dave and his team do, I’m just happy I’m not making them because they seem like so much work for so many outcomes that many folks may or may not see.

I still don’t care about Move.

My biggest thing about this “Next Next Gen” is that the biggest winner will be the one who has several things going for them:

The games. It’s all about the games.
    The ecosystem. Apple knows that Itunes and the App store are a HUGE factor in their success.
    The ability to remain adaptable in a fast moving world. Fast title updates from developers. The “Minecraft test.” If the hardware is great and the system sound then the biggest deciding factor will be how much each console creator allows the community to take over in an organic fashion. It sounds like the Sharing feature is a great step. The next one? Indie games, mods, user levels…you know, the things that the PC is so darned good at.

I joke that the amount of people I know in the restaurant business these days is “too damned high” but one of many things I’ve learned from them is that if you have to resort to gimmicks to get people in the door then you’re halfway done already. With that said - Sony: Stop trying to make Vita happen. Even Nintendo included their proprietary screen in the Wii U. We all want a second screen experience but the problem for everyone making these systems is that we already have that second screen in our Apple/Droid products.

I’m just happy to finally see this true “next next gen” war finally start.
http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/43662813857/4th-and-inches-for-sony

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »

Microsoft to reveal EA partnership at Next Xbox event
Exclusive add-on content deal expected; Publisher exec says prepare for big announcements

As the industry prepares for a highly anticipated Microsoft press conference in which it will showcase a new console for the first time in eight years, publisher Electronic Arts is preparing to step on stage to announce a key exclusivity agreement.

Peter Moore, a former Xbox executive, is now second-in-command at EA Peter Moore, a former Xbox executive, is now second-in-command at EA
CVG has learned that EA has secured a partnership with the Xbox firm, according to accounts from two sources who wished to remain anonymous. However, neither person was certain of what EA will show, nor what the terms of the exclusivity partnership will be.

Due to the necessities of multiplatform development and publishing, it is likely that such a partnership will not extend beyond exclusive downloadable content, or staggered release dates. An outright exclusive EA game on the Next Xbox would be unlikely, and certainly a major coup for Microsoft if such a deal were to be secured.

Last Wednesday, rival publisher Activision announced a key partnership with Sony which will result in - among other business obligations - exclusive add-on content for the PS4 edition of Destiny.

While other major publishers, from Ubisoft to Square Enix to Capcom, also spoke at Sony's PS4 showcase, EA did not participate.

Both industry sources had different speculation on what the EA partnership would be. One claimed it might be Battlefield 4, while the other suspected that Respawn Entertainment will make a surprise appearance. Neither person works for EA or Microsoft, and so could not confirm the terms of the deal.

However, EA's chief financial officer hinted at such a deal on Tuesday.

Speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference, CFO Blake Jorgensen was asked why Electronic Arts did not appear at the PlayStation 4 press conference.

"It was more about timing of our own slate as well as trying to maintain a good balance of power with all the parties out there and choosing when to unveil certain pieces of software," he replied.

Jorgensen added: "I'd say, between now and E3, you are going to see a lot of stuff, and we are going to chose with our marketing teams when to announce."

But he clarified that EA was clearly going to support the PlayStation 4 platform.

"At the end of the day we are very excited about Sony's platform. We feel there's a huge opportunity there. The technical power on the platform is going to allow us to do a substantial amount of things that have never been done before.

"I have seen the new Battlefield, and it is just stunning. It is just amazing what the imagination of the game developers [at DICE] are allowed to do with that much power."

It has become a growing expectation in the industry that Microsoft will announce its next-generation Xbox platform at a special one-off event in late April.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/393418/microsoft-to-reveal-ea-partnership-at-next-xbox-event/

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »
That could be huge. Of course we all know that third party "exclusives" really mean, "A test in patience".

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 10:04:28 PM »
A week after the system’s announcement in New York City, Sony has released official, high-resolution screenshots of PlayStation 4′s graphical user interface.

Among the images, you’ll see the home screen, user profiles, friend feed, video trimming and sharing, gameplay streaming, and how it will look accessing that content from mobile and tablet devices. There’s a game page for Knack on one of the tablet screenshots, too (pictured).
http://gematsu.com/2013/02/playstation-4-user-interface-screenshots

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 11:24:48 PM »
Definitely looks like an upgrade, gotta give em that.

A Small Detail About The PlayStation 4 Could Have Big Implications
 Kirk Hamilton
Among the bits of information dropped during last week's PlayStation 4 announcement was this from PS4 lead architect Mark Cerny, as he discussed the system's enhanced social features:

"[With the] PlayStation 4 we are transitioning to a friends network based on real world friends. We'll keep around the alias and icon used in today's multiplayer matches. These are great to have when anonymity is important. But most of the new social dimension to PS4 will be interacting with friends using real names and profile pictures most likely seeded from your existing social network."

Some crucial-sounding words in there: "Alias." "Real names." "Profile pictures." "Anonymity." But what exactly does all that mean? Like so many other things introduced at the PS4 event, it's not entirely clear.

Since its inception, the PlayStation Network has for the most part been a gateway to buying content and a loose way to connect with your friends to play games. But Sony appears set to turn their service into much more of a "proper" social network. And parts of that social network are going to involve your real name.
Let's scrounge for crumbs of information and see if we can't get a sense of what Cerny is saying, as well as what he's purposefully leaving unsaid.

1. "We are transitioning to a friends network based on real world friends."

Vague language, but he's really just talking about emulating Facebook. When Sony launched PSN, Facebook wasn't nearly the juggernaut it is today, and it stands to reason that Sony (and likely Microsoft) will be taking cues from Facebook when designing their consoles' new social environments. From the look we got at the PSN's new social profile page, it appears as though your friends list will made up of "real" people, by which Cerny just means that you'll actually see the name behind the alias.

I actually like that, as a broad idea—I've found that on both PSN and Xbox Live, I've lost track of who a lot of my "friends" are. Often on my Xbox, I'll see pop-up notifications that "Player X has come online," but it'll feel like I've never even seen that gamertag before. Have I simply forgotten? Or did the person change their tag? It's difficult to tell who they are. It'd be nice to simply see peoples' names.

2. "We'll keep around the alias and icon used in today's multiplayer matches. These are great to have when anonymity is important."

This bit is the escape hatch Sony has left, should the whole real names idea fall flat. An assurance that feels designed, more or less, to circumvent the sort of user-outrage that rained down on World of Warcraft- and StarCraft-makers Blizzard when they announced their Real ID program back in 2010. Blizzard's thinking was that by forcing users to post in the Blizzard forums under their real names, it would cut down on jerks and trolls. But the community quickly pointed out a lot of unforeseen downsides that Real ID would have, in particular that it would make women much more visible than they had been and therefore even easier targets for creeping and forum stalking.

Following an overwhelmingly negative reaction from almost every corner of their fanbase, Blizzard scrapped the Real ID system. Surely Sony was paying attention to that debacle, and will offer some sort of alias-based, anonymous online existence for those who want it. The question that remains is: How will that work, and will there be aspects of the PS4 that can only be used under your real name?

This image from the PS4 conference gives a sense of what a player's profile page will look like:

It goes along with the final part of what Cerny had to say:

3. "Most of the new social dimension to PS4 will be interacting with friends using real names and profile pictures most likely seeded from your existing social network."

When Cerny says, "Your existing social network," he probably means "Facebook." That dovetails with later remarks from Gakai president David Perry, who said outright that the new PSN will be integrated with social networks, including Facebook and UStream.

And, like Facebook, it sounds like they're going to connect all of that to your real name and profile picture. Maybe you'll also be able to import your Facebook friends list into your PS4, or go through some PSN app to invite your friends to play with you via Facebook. Or other such cross-platform stuff.

The image of Henry Bayle's profile page lines up with that. Note how this (handsome!) Bayle chap has got an icon and an alias underneath his real name. When he plays Call of Duty multiplayer, it's likely that Henry can set things so that his foes only see DayZ100 headshotting them. (Also: Nice DayZ reference, Sony. Very "now.") It seems probable that he will be able to set his profile so that no one can see his real name unless he wants them to, so even if someone wanted to track him down after a match, they couldn't.

But beneath that, note that it says "Henry Bayle shared a video from KNACK." It does not say "DayZ100 shared a video from KNACK." That makes me think that the extra-game social functions of the new PSN will require you to do things under your actual name, and not under a pseudonym. All of the slick video sharing, streaming, spectating and game-visiting that Perry described will likely be tied to that social network, and therefore users' actual names.

Stepping back and just looking at the whole page, I'm struck by how much closer it is to a Facebook page than a current PSN ID page. In fact, there kind of… isn't even a PSN "home" or "profile" page at the moment—it's just a list of my friends, with the option to send them messages or compare trophies. Like I mentioned earlier, scrolling through my friends' PSN IDs is disorienting—I have no idea who half of them are, even though they're likely people I know and added at some point. (It doesn't help that I do almost all of my multiplayer gaming on PC and 360, so my PSN list is sorely underused.)

It's worth noting that any of this stuff could change between now and the system's fall launch. Looking over what we saw at the PS4 conference, several big questions remain:

What exactly will the PS4's privacy settings entail? Which actions will be tied to your real name, and which will be anonymous? Will it be possible to set up a PSN account under a made-up name with a fake profile, and continue to operate in complete anonymity? Those questions all remain unanswered, and will likely be shrouded for a good while longer.
http://kotaku.com/5987406/a-small-detail-about-the-playstation-4-could-have-big-implications?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Not sure how I feel about all that though.

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 610
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 06:42:17 AM »
Prediction: So many people are going to be uploading stupid and uninteresting videos that it will quickly become a meaningless feature.