Author Topic: Gonna buy a new desktop...  (Read 2394 times)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Gonna buy a new desktop...
« on: February 09, 2013, 08:35:45 PM »
What kind should I get?   I want to be able to play Minecraft on the best settings (or close to it.. i have no other games to play, or desire to play on cpu... i am a console gamer)  But what I do want to do is be able to do video editing.   Editing my basketball games from the past and put them on DVD and things like that.   And also to record my music on.        So that's what I"m looking for.. in the range of 500 or so.

Help on some suggestions from some of you that know what you're talking about.   Thank you.  :drinks2:

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
Re: Gonna buy a new desktop...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 09:28:59 PM »
ugg.... I hate to say this, but it is well known that for video/music recording type stuff it would be wise to go with apple, you obviously aren't going to be able to pull much off there with $500 though...

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 10:24:44 PM »
not hardcore editing and music stuff.. just something good that doesn't chug.

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 11:04:22 PM »
Then I know nothing....

Offline Szabada

• 2011 Co-Member of the Year
  • Showtime for Free Hero
  • Showtime Karma: 569
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 01:08:05 AM »
 :rofl:

I was going to say iMac all the way.  But they're on the expensive side.  Not as much as the notebooks, but they're up there.  But they're also freaking amazing. 

You could probably get something for around $1500 new.  Or you can go used route.  And after having my Macbook Pro for nearly 5 years, the used route isn't bad at all if you're on a budget.  And you won't have to worry about it crashing on you, or that blue screen or freezing or any of that crap.  I've had zero issues and I look at sites that google says are risky and such.  Never had my email or facebook or anything hacked.  Not sure if that means I'm lucky or because I have a Mac, who knows.  But I love it. And once you go Mac, you NEVER GO BACK!  Hah.  Some people like Jamie and maybe even Caine will stick to PC's because they can swap out parts when they crash or junk like that, but thats because they actually crash and crap out on them.  I know my Mac is always going to turn on for me.  The only thing I have to get is a new battery, this one needs to be plugged in to work.  Old as shit battery, and its seen a long times use. 

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iMac-MB417LL-20-Inch-Desktop/dp/B001U0OGQS/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1360486822&sr=8-11&keywords=imac

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 02:03:01 AM »
Oh I'll admit it, if it weren't for wanting to be a PC gamer again, it's possible I might go mac.

Then again the idea of spending ~$500 every 5 years or so on a pc is kinda more appealing than spending $1500 on a mac, which would provided last me longer, but would end up chugging eventually. I'd rather have something modern and cheap that'll get virused to all hell and brick.

But yeah, to anyone who doesn't required a high performance machine for whatever they use a computer for, it really kinda makes sense to go with mac.

Offline Szabada

• Showtime for Free Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 06:53:26 AM »
After +5 years all I have to do is upgrade my memory, so I can run Mountain Lion.  I had Leopard originally, Mac then went Snow Leopard, Lion and now Mt. Lion.  It only cost me $21 to get the Snow Leopard upgrade through Apple Support ($150 on amazon... ???) And it'll be another $20 or so to upgrade to Mt. Lion, I think.  Memory through Apple would be about $100 as well.  I pretty much had to upgrade, because I had been running the old operating system (Leopard) for so long that it was no longer going to be receiving support updates from Apple.  Thats a long time, and google chrome wasn't even going to update for that version of Safari anymore.  And it was getting somewhat buggy.  But after the update, all is well again.   

I have nothing against PC's.  But the Apple product is just so nice.  It's almost like comparing cars in a way...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:55:20 AM by Szabada »

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 08:14:25 AM »
  i don't do apple.

ya.. i believe any of the newer computers will do what i need fine.   my old ass computer from 2008 is on it's last legs, and it still does what i need great, just getting old.  i need a bigger hard drive and more ram.    i believe that one i'm looking at will do exactly what i need.    maybe one just a step above if i really splurge.    my tax returns are HUGE this year... so i'm getting a new computer.    i need it.

OMEGA BOMBS

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 08:27:33 AM »
my old ass computer from 2008

might as well be 1958 by comparison

Offline Szabada

• Showtime for Free Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 08:32:14 AM »
 i don't do apple.

ya.. i believe any of the newer computers will do what i need fine.   my old ass computer from 2008 is on it's last legs, and it still does what i need great, just getting old.  i need a bigger hard drive and more ram.    i believe that one i'm looking at will do exactly what i need.    maybe one just a step above if i really splurge.    my tax returns are HUGE this year... so i'm getting a new computer.    i need it.

Thats too bad, because my apple from 2006 is still kicking ass!   :ninja:

I look at big purchases such as this as investments... not just purchases.  How long is it going to last, and is it worth spending a little bit more to get that much more out of it. 

Do you want to have to spend another $600 in a few years again? 

I would say don't not get an Apple product because you hate them because yuppies have them or rich kids get them to be cool or anything like that.  I didn't want an Apple product at first either.  I was all pc back when I was younger and into techy stuff somewhat and pc gaming, also only a somewhat. 

But when my brother had a macbook, and i got used to using it.  It was a no brainer as to what kind of a laptop I would be getting.  There's a reason schools are switching to the Mac brand, it's just a better investment.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 08:44:46 AM by Szabada »

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 08:49:30 AM »
i don't like laptops at all, and i don't mind spending 50 every 5 or so years.   i can't wait to get a new one.    it's going to be such a big difference.   i remember seeing a newer one, and it's like half the size of mine that i have now.    everything's getting smaller.     can't wait.

Offline Szabada

• Showtime for Free Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 09:04:36 AM »
i don't like laptops at all, and i don't mind spending 50 every 5 or so years.   i can't wait to get a new one.    it's going to be such a big difference.   i remember seeing a newer one, and it's like half the size of mine that i have now.    everything's getting smaller.     can't wait.

The iMac isn't a laptop.  It's a desktop.  And it's a lot cheaper and more powerful than the laptops. 

Speaking of which, my little brother just ordered his new Mac.  He just ordered the top of the line one I think, a true beast.  But he's a graphic designer and uses it for web design/photoshopping and all that kind of crap.  Nothing any of us (maybe Mondayshift) would really know about.   

I mention this because I don't know what he's doing with his old one.  Who knows, I'll ask him if you want.  Might be able to get a pretty stellar deal on a really good machine.  I'll probably end up talking to him tomorrow morning on iChat, maybe even today. 

Couldn't hurt and it's not like ordering your computer today would get it to you any faster anyways, being a Sunday and all. 

And just so you know, I'm not trying to sell the Apple product on you because I'm an Apple fanboy.  It's just freaking awesome, and I truly do think it would be a good investment.  There's no point in throwing money away, again. 

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 09:09:44 AM »
thanks, but i'm getting myself something brand spanking new.   i should of mentioned at the start that apple wasn't an option.    i'm a pc guy.    but thanks for the suggestions.

omega is a graphic designer guy too.

now the thing is, can i add more ram to that one i linked to?  i'm guessing i can.   the step above has 10 gigs or ram http://www.amazon.com/HP-Envy-h8-1450-Desktop-Black/dp/B009I9MX5Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360516010&sr=1-1&keywords=HP+ENVY+h8+series+PC