Author Topic: Wii U Owners Bummed Out By Huge Firmware Update  (Read 1327 times)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Wii U Owners Bummed Out By Huge Firmware Update
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:10:31 AM »
Ouch!  5 gigs!  Surprised this wasn't packed in with the console.

That's a progress bar 1/8th full after 30 minutes—a four-hour process at this rate—for the Wii U's infamous firmware update, said to be 5 gigabytes (according to Geoff Keighley of GameTrailers TV, and repeated by numerous others). Sony, you are officially off the hook with the PS3's interminable, poorly timed and mandatory system updates.

It's not like Nintendo's just fixing typoes in the help file, either. This update lets you access online features, transfer data from a Wii, visit the Miiverse and use other online features. So, basically, you're bringing home an unassembled bicycle, and depending on your Internet connection speed, it could be between 1 and 4 hours before that battle station is fully operational. Expect this story to resurface again around Christmas morning.

When it does, expect it to bubble up where it did last night: Twitter, everyone's forum of first resort for complaining. We've collected some voices of frustration for your information and amusement, beginning with the person who supplied that picture above, @LouisLamarche
http://kotaku.com/5961577/bummed+out-wii-u-owners-vent-on-twitter-during-huge-firmware-update

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
Re: Wii U Owners Bummed Out By Huge Firmware Update
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 10:12:42 AM »
wait.... 5 gigs? aren't there 4 gig models...?

Offline DustoMan

• Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 529
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 10:41:26 AM »
No you are thinking of 8GB with 4.7 taken up by the system software. If you have an 8GB unit. An external hard drive is a must. Or plan on playing only disk based games for the time being. As an example, if you wanted Trine 2 off the eShop, that 2GB right there. Half your available storage. It's really not all that forward thinking of Nintendo. They should have made 16GB the minimum.

Running fast and loose with their system software seems to be Nintendo's mo with new hardware. Remember the 3DS was also missing features that needed to be patched in later. Nintendo says they are running hot with their engineers writing the software for the console. Which is why Nintendo TVii until next month.

Given that they knew the update was coming and how large it was going to be. They should have built in some kind of recovery mode to fix bricked consoles.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:47:45 AM by DustoMan »
Dusto
dustoman [at] gmail [dot] com

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »
Okay, cool, thanks for the correction buddy! But umm... my concern still stands, no? 8GB HDD with 4.7 taken up for the OS/SS/whatever plus a 5GB firmware update? How does one fit 9.7 GB on an 8GB HDD?

Ugg... regardless (as the 5GB is apparently still speculation at this point anyways?) major blunder in my opinion on Nintendo's part to have such small HDD's with their system. Last I checked they tried to market to families and non technophiles. You know, people who aren't going to know shit about getting an external HDD (which they shouldn't have to get in the first place). I mean seriously how hard or expensive could it have possibly been for the WiiU to come out with a baseline of a 250GB HDD? (I'd really like an answer to that one, especially if you have evidence against my thought process.) If it came with a decent sizable HDD, they could get all kinds of cash out of people. Not to mention if they're trying to please the hardcores like they claim, same shit, the cores want a big HDD. I just can't understand what the frack they were thinking.....

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 610
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:07:13 PM »
I setup the basic 8 GB model in our family room.. after the update, 3.5 GB remains available.

Still have 2 Deluxe units coming.. probably setup 1 in the man cave and sell the other… not sure yet, maybe I'll sell both..
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 12:12:42 PM by hdinred »

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:12:43 PM »
ouch...

(on the basic at least)

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 610
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 12:15:48 PM »
ouch...

(on the basic at least)

Not a big deal.. that machine is for family stuff.. Mario Bros.. etc.. won't be downloading much.