Author Topic: Home Improvement....  (Read 2189 times)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Home Improvement....
« on: October 13, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »

We need a thread for some home improvement stuff.....   hopefully some of you know what you're doing.   i have no idea about cars and building things.. i'm like a dainty little chick that knows nothing when it comes to that stuff, and i want to learn.

anyhoo... here's a easy one maybe.. how do you know how many volts your out side light fixture can take?   i have a light outside i want to put a more powerful bulb in for more light, but how do i know how high i can go?   is there a average watts number that most houses do?

anyhoo... i'll have more questions later.

Offline mondayshift

• "I'm not a hot asian chick"
  • Founding Father
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 605
    • flickr
Re: Home Improvement....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:28:08 AM »
 you can pretty much put whatever watt bulb you want as long as it fits the socket. i reserve the right to be wrong, contradict and or change my mind as needed
Fool Me Once, Shame on You, Fool Me Twice, I punch your face!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mondayshift/

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:58:01 AM »
 :party: :party:

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 729
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 10:10:51 AM »
Yeah, as Monday said, it should take any watt bulb you put in there.  If you were rewiring it for a halogen light or something, then you'd want to look at the amps, not so much the voltage.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 10:52:30 AM »
thanks for the info boys.

Offline Szabada

• 2011 Co-Member of the Year
  • Showtime for Free Hero
  • Showtime Karma: 569
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 02:23:10 PM »
Ahem... check the fixture itself. 

It will say somewhere on there the amount of amps/volts it can handle.  You don't want to burn your house down.  If you do, and the fire department finds the source (and they will) and it's because you put a light "too big" to handle the fixture you'll most likely get jack shit from the insurance companies. 

It'll say on there somewhere.  If not, my brother worked in lighting for a long ass time, he'll be able to help you out.  Send me a picture of what you're dealing with. 

Offline Szabada

• Showtime for Free Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 02:24:10 PM »
Ahem... check the fixture itself. 

It will say somewhere on there the amount of amps/volts it can handle.  You don't want to burn your house down.  If you do, and the fire department finds the source (and they will) and it's because you put a light "too big" to handle the fixture you'll most likely get jack shit from the insurance companies. 

It'll say on there somewhere.  If not, my brother worked in lighting for a long ass time, he'll be able to help you out.  Send me a picture of what you're dealing with. 

And it depends on the fixture, is it a flood light or a door light kind of thing? 

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 03:09:33 PM »
it's a light fixture that's outside in the backyard.   like a front door light, but int he back.

Offline Szabada

• Showtime for Free Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »
it's a light fixture that's outside in the backyard.   like a front door light, but int he back.

So it's just a standard (traditional) bulb?  Whatever they're called.  I'm sure you'd be fine with sticking something in a higher wattage in there.  Even those energy saving ones do well, they look a little funny without a shade around it though.  Look over the fixture well, there should be a sticker somewhere on there showing what you can and can't do.  I was looking to replace some of my lights in the recessed lighting I have, and they have stickers on them in the cans.  Almost all lights have something.  Or take the bulb in there out and bump it up a bit higher then that one, but don't go too high over what it is already if you can't find a sticker. 

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 614
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »

We need a thread for some home improvement stuff.....   hopefully some of you know what you're doing.   i have no idea about cars and building things.. i'm like a dainty little chick that knows nothing when it comes to that stuff, and i want to learn.

anyhoo... here's a easy one maybe.. how do you know how many volts your out side light fixture can take?   i have a light outside i want to put a more powerful bulb in for more light, but how do i know how high i can go?   is there a average watts number that most houses do?

anyhoo... i'll have more questions later.

usually stay under a 100 watt you should be good, 60/70 watts are the usual light bulb, i shall be able to tell you more once i complete my electricity class next semester.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 07:39:27 PM »
that's what i'll do!

Offline Szabada

• Showtime for Free Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 01:04:01 PM »
Working on one of my bathrooms.  I wasn't happy with how it looked and its our master bathroom so...

Heres what it looked like sort of, this is the facing on the other bathroom.  It is the same as the one I'm working on. 

And then here the bathroom being worked on, after I used a heat gun to strip the paint, and then I sanded it down.  Doors were removed and going through the same process.  Started the stain...

Staining completed, and I've started to paint the insides.  Eh?  It's actually a really dark stain "Kona" hard to tell from the picture, but up close it looks pretty good. 

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 01:16:51 PM »
looking good dude.    good job.  :drinks2:

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 729
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 03:56:14 PM »