Author Topic: Major Game Changer! (The Steam Box)  (Read 8207 times)

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
Major Game Changer! (The Steam Box)
« on: September 09, 2012, 12:55:58 AM »

New York Times: Steam Big Picture public beta starts Monday
by Jordan Mallory   on Sep 8th 2012 9:00PM

Last August, we found out that Steam's Big Picture interface would be moving into its beta phase "soon," but we never expected it would be, like, soon. It is Valve after all, and our cold, dark hearts weren't never figured that Big Picture's public beta would be happen in our lifetimes, let alone on Monday, September 10, like the New York Times says.

For those of you who haven't been following this song's bouncing ball, allow us to refresh your memory: Steam' Big Picture interface is a custom UI designed specifically to make Valve's all-encompassing digital storefront more user-friendly on televisions. It's being designed with controller-based navigation in mind and would represent Valve's first primordial step into the living room. Whether Monday's testing is truly public or invitation based like its Community beta remains to be seen.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/08/new-york-times-steam-big-picture-public-beta-starts-monday/

Umm guys, Valve/Steam might have just entered the "console" market...

miD edit, just added The Steam Box as part of the title too.  For easier searching.   For me!  :D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:15:35 PM by miDnIghtEr20C »

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Re: Major Game Changer!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 07:07:16 AM »
things could get interesting.   

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 10:36:51 AM »
things could get interesting.   

I would argue that the only legitimate threat against Valve/Steam in the marketplace would be Apple.

I love my 360, I love my original xbox. I love my ps2. I loved my ps1 and my snes. My brand loyalty has always been on the software end. The Steam service destroys all at providing software.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:01:00 AM »
so where do you find this thing on your tv?   i don't get it.      and i've been reading other stuff about this.  can i get bf 3 on this?   is there a controller coming out?   

what's the deal?    i don't even buy games from valve.. i thought portal sucked and wasn't fun, and i couldn't even tell you another game they make.   i guess whatever's in the orange box game.        but i don't care about those games either.

does this have madden?  cod?  batman?  stuff like that?

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 07:16:47 AM »
LMAO... never mind.  i just read you have to plug your PC into your tv for it to work?     LOL.. i thought this was some new download thing where you didn't need a console.

big fucking deal.   PC gamers have been plugging their rigs into tv's for years now.   oh boy.. it's designed a bit better for TVs i guess.    good for them.   this is still a pc thing.   i'm going to move this into the pc thread instead of entertainment general.          i thought this was some kind of app for smart tvs.   boy was i wrong.

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 610
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:42:32 AM »
LMAO... never mind.  i just read you have to plug your PC into your tv for it to work?     LOL.. i thought this was some new download thing where you didn't need a console.

big fucking deal.   PC gamers have been plugging their rigs into tv's for years now.   oh boy.. it's designed a bit better for TVs i guess.    good for them.   this is still a pc thing.   i'm going to move this into the pc thread instead of entertainment general.          i thought this was some kind of app for smart tvs.   boy was i wrong.

Yeah, it’s a cool concept.. make your PC act more like a console and all. Hard to see it making a huge impact without the marketing, ease and focus the console makers have.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 02:36:57 PM »
ya, it's awesome for pc gamers.   way awesome.   from what i understand is if you're a gamer on pc.. you'll want to play through your tv now.   it's all made to look great for pc to tv look.      that is great news for pc gamers.

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »
Ahh I see, well I didn't do any research on this outside of the article I posted and didn't realize owning a PC was required. I thought they were trying to do like an onlive type system or something. Still with them slowly pushing into the living room that also means they might be slowly pushing into "console" space. I know we don't have a lot of PC gamers here but steam is by far the best method of distributing software at this point and time. Steam makes XBL look like PSN.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
Ahh I see, well I didn't do any research on this outside of the article I posted and didn't realize owning a PC was required. I thought they were trying to do like an onlive type system or something. Still with them slowly pushing into the living room that also means they might be slowly pushing into "console" space. I know we don't have a lot of PC gamers here but steam is by far the best method of distributing software at this point and time. Steam makes XBL look like PSN.
i thought the same as you!  i was like OH SHIT!  I GET TO PLAY BF3 THE REAL WAY!!!   but then saw another article that said you have to hook up your pc and all the rest.     

but ya, it will be awesome for pc gamers.   what an upgrade in screen size for most i'd think.

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:16:25 PM »
i thought the same as you!  i was like OH SHIT!  I GET TO PLAY BF3 THE REAL WAY!!!   but then saw another article that said you have to hook up your pc and all the rest.     

but ya, it will be awesome for pc gamers.   what an upgrade in screen size for most i'd think.

Yeah cept most (if not all) modern PC's come with an HDMI out and it's not hard to hook up to a HDTV currently. So I'm not really understanding the point of this...

Offline Angry TacoZ

• Bench Warmer
  • Showtime Karma: 21
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 06:06:08 AM »
well most pc's dont look there best on an hdtv due to a few reasons. tv's run at different refreash rates than monitors and usually are not capable of the same resolutions

Offline SadisticKeith

• Learn to Play Moderator
  • Founding Father
  • In the Showtime for Free, Wolfpack.
  • Showtime Karma: 544
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 10:24:33 AM »
Steam is the shit. I LOVE it on our laptop. You can't beat the fact that once I own a game I don't have to have the disc on me to install it on ANY computer I want.
This my BOOMSTICK!

"Oh, that's just what we call 'pillow talk' baby, that's all"

Ash

Offline DustoMan

• Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 529
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 11:35:08 AM »
Valve says that they will have their own hardware out in beta at the beginning of next year.  Big Picture mode could lead to a "Steam box" in the future, but if anything it's just a nice convenience feature for people that have Home Theater PCs or laptops they want to plug into a big screen. (Which BTW, all modern HDTVs have VGA inputs, but yes all newer computers seem to be coming with HDMI ports these days.)

I tried it and it's alright.  I could see using this with my laptop which has an HDMI output and a controllers, but my regular gaming PC has it's own dedicated monitor.  I kinda don't like using a PC on a big HDTV even though I know people like my brother-in-law do that all the time.
Dusto
dustoman [at] gmail [dot] com

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 11:42:18 AM »
Valve says that they will have their own hardware out in beta at the beginning of next year.  Big Picture mode could lead to a "Steam box" in the future, but if anything it's just a nice convenience feature for people that have Home Theater PCs or laptops they want to plug into a big screen. (Which BTW, all modern HDTVs have VGA inputs, but yes all newer computers seem to be coming with HDMI ports these days.)

I tried it and it's alright.  I could see using this with my laptop which has an HDMI output and a controllers, but my regular gaming PC has it's own dedicated monitor.  I kinda don't like using a PC on a big HDTV even though I know people like my brother-in-law do that all the time.

Yeah it's quite likely that this is simply a baby step for Valve to take over our living rooms, and I for one am fracking for it!

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 03:06:35 PM »

Gabe Newell: Living Room PCs Will Compete With Next-Gen Consoles
 Jason Schreier
Steam's Big Picture mode was just the first step: according to Valve boss Gabe Newell, you'll be able to buy a living-room-friendly PC package next year.
Speaking to me during a brief interview on the red carpet at the VGAs last night, Newell said Valve's current goal was to figure out how to make PCs work better in the living room. He said the reaction to Steam's TV-friendly Big Picture interface has been "stronger than expected," and that their next step is to get Steam Linux out of beta and to get Big Picture on that operating system, which would give Valve more flexibility when developing their own hardware.

He also expects companies to start selling PC packages for living rooms next year—setups that could consist of computers designed to be hooked up to your TV and run Steam right out of the gate. And yes, Newell said, they'd compete with next-gen consoles from companies like Microsoft and Sony.

"I think in general that most customers and most developers are gonna find that [the PC is] a better environment for them," Newell told me. "Cause they won't have to split the world into thinking about 'why are my friends in the living room, why are my video sources in the living room different from everyone else?' So in a sense we hopefully are gonna unify those environments."

Newell said he's expecting a lot of different companies to release these types of packages—"We'll do it but we also think other people will as well," he told me—and that Valve's hardware might not be as open-source or as malleable as your average computer.

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.

"The nice thing about a PC is a lot of different people can try out different solutions, and customers can find the ones that work best for them."

I also asked Newell what sort of software they're working on these days. He wouldn't give specifics, but he did reiterate that they're working on their next-generation engine—which he said will work with next-generation consoles as well.

"Hopefully that's gonna give us some interesting opportunities on the game side," he said.

http://kotaku.com/5966860/gabe-newell-living-room-pcs-will-compete-with-next+gen-consoles

Boom.