Author Topic: Just Talking... Video Games.  (Read 50220 times)

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 729
Re: Just Talking... Video Games.
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 07:04:12 AM »
Minecraft is one of those games where you look up and 4 hours have passed. I can see why it is so loved now.

I still haven't played it.  But my 8 year old plays it a lot at the Boys & Girls club, so I bought it for him. (Best Buy leaked it out a day early for $15  +G)  He has put numerous hours into it already.  He says the PC version is much better, but it's nice to have a console version too.

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 610
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 12:35:10 PM »
Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition Breaks Digital Sales Records
http://majornelson.com/2012/05/10/minecraft-xbox-360-edition-breaks-digital-sales-records/

It’s official: Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition has has broken all previous Xbox LIVE Arcade digital sales records, selling more than any other title in the first 24 hours on Xbox LIVE Arcade. I just looked at the leaderboards and there are over 400,000 people playing…so that will give you an idea at how well it is doing.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 07:26:56 AM »
Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition Breaks Digital Sales Records
http://majornelson.com/2012/05/10/minecraft-xbox-360-edition-breaks-digital-sales-records/

It’s official: Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition has has broken all previous Xbox LIVE Arcade digital sales records, selling more than any other title in the first 24 hours on Xbox LIVE Arcade. I just looked at the leaderboards and there are over 400,000 people playing…so that will give you an idea at how well it is doing.

Shortly after its release on Xbox Live, Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition broke records, selling more than any other XBL title within the first 24 hours and proving profitable within the hour as we reported earlier.

Just recently, Larry “Major Nelson” Hyrb shared some updated and boast-worthy stats on his blog revealing that Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition has sold more than 1,000,000 units world-wide in less than one week on the market.

Some other impressive stats include:

Total Online Hours: 5.2M
    Multiplayer sessions: 4M
    Total Multiplayer gaming hours: 2.4M
http://mp1st.com/2012/05/14/minecraft-xbox-360-edition-sells-more-than-1-million-in-less-than-a-week/

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »

Rockstar Peaked With Red Dead Redemption

The headline says it all really, and it is quite a bold statement. Rockstar Games could be considered one of the biggest, but more importantly, best developers in the industry today, yet I'm going out on a limb to say that the studio could have very well hit their peak with the release of 2010's Game of the Year winner, Red Dead Redemption.

Rockstar's history is long and esteemed, but it wasn't until 2008's Grand Theft Auto IV that we really saw what this talented team of artists were capable of. It was the first major narrative for a Rockstar Game, and as far as compelling stories go, they don't get much better than GTA IV.

However I don't feel that GTA IV is a particularly good game per se. While Niko Bellic and co have a lot of interesting and heart wrenching moments, the game feels like a gigantic tech demo for me. It brings a living and breathing city like no other onto our screens, and they graphical prowess of the RAGE engine is certainly a marvel in its own right, but the game isn't exactly oozing with fun.

The shooting mechanics are clumsy, the relationship mechanic is infuriating, and the thrill and excitement that came with other GTA games was lost when cruising the streets of this new Liberty City. It was a brilliant piece of story writing, backed up by a fantastic city and technology, but the game itself was a little lacking in my opinion.

2010's Red Dead Redemption changed all that. The emotional tale of John Marsden not only cemented the storytelling skills of the studio, but it catapulted gamers into unfamiliar territory. A combination of fantastic missions, varied side-quests, interesting environments and the intrigue of a game set in the Wild West was more then enough to make RDR one of the best games this generation. Each and every mechanic worked seamlessly, giving us a fantastic story AND more importantly, a fantastic game.

While L.A Noire may have started as a Team Bondi production, Rockstar certainly had a hand in the final product. Once again, the tale of Cole Phelps and co. was beyond memorable, and the facial animation technology was astounding. As a game however, it became so repetitive that banging your head against a brick wall seemed more interesting at times.

Now we have Max Payne 3 on our doorstep, and after playing through the entire campaign I can say that Rockstar has provided a solid experience, yet as a game it won't set the world on fire. Max's tale of revenge and desperation is compelling, more so than any other game I've played since Red Dead Redemption, but the mechanics are by and large, familiar territory.

What would it take for Rockstar to combine both stellar gameplay and this new found fascination with storytelling? I highly doubt Grand Theft Auto V will provide the answer, and even a Red Dead Redemption sequel would yield more of the same rather than something fresh.

While their games are enjoyable and memorable, I personally feel that Rockstar peaked with Red Dead Redemption. I doubt we'll ever see the studio combine gameplay, story and general feel that well ever again.

Yet they will continue to create great stories, with an unmatched cinematic feel, and that is certainly not a bad thing.
http://pc.mmgn.com/Articles/Rockstar-Peaked-With-Red-Dead-Redemption

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 08:54:27 AM »
Voltan, this question is for you... but if anyone else can answer it as well,... please let me know what i'm doing wrong.

voltan, you were able to play with your son Trials on his box, and your box.   well, i went to jennys box... downloaded trials with my gamer tag signed in on her box... did the same with minecraft, and then i signed out.    had jenny sign on, and she can't play the games without buying them over.

i thought you were able to play the games still, by using your gamer tag, since you already bought it.   i wanted to play minecraft with her... but i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.

help!   :)

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 08:57:37 AM »
Games are connected to 1 Xbox and 1 Gamertag. She should be play on the Xbox it was downloaded to, or if she is using the gamertag it was downloaded with.

So yeah, in this case, she would have to buy a copy.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 09:09:17 AM »
damn... i wonder how voltan and his boy are playing at the same time then with one copy.

or, we have to switch xboxes to be able to play a 2 for 1?

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »
The initial xbox that a game is downloaded on always has a copy on it.  The 2nd xbox must be hooked up to Xbox Live to access the game.  It's actually a flaw, but I use that flaw to double dip.  I always download anything onto one of my secondary xboxes (the kids xboxes) first.  After purchasing and downloading it on their console, I then go to download history on my primary xbox and download it again. Viola!  This works with 95% of games.  Also works with most season pass content and add on DLC packs.

It sounds like you probably downloaded minecraft and trials on your primary xbox first if I am reading right.  Even so, you can still take advantage of the 2nd DL.  Jenny could play on your primary xbox and you could play on yours.  Just a thought if you two were wanting to do some multiplayer trials.  The split screen multiplayer blows.

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 06:31:03 PM »
Also, there is a way to transfer licenses to another xbox.  I've never done it, and I think it requires using a computer, but you could transfer the Trials and Minecraft licenses to Jenny's xbox, then re-DL them to yours and be good to go. 

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 615
    • facebook
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »
yep the first xbox u downloaded to can play it no problem  with out ur gt on the xbox the 2nd one your gt has to be on the hdd. make sure its not on a memory card bc then the only way itll work is if your gt signed in.

Offline SadisticKeith

• Learn to Play Moderator
  • Founding Father
  • In the Showtime for Free, Wolfpack.
  • Showtime Karma: 544
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »
Been playing a lot of Fallout 3 lately. Once I beat it I think I am going to go back to Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare.
This my BOOMSTICK!

"Oh, that's just what we call 'pillow talk' baby, that's all"

Ash

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »
The initial xbox that a game is downloaded on always has a copy on it.  The 2nd xbox must be hooked up to Xbox Live to access the game.  It's actually a flaw, but I use that flaw to double dip.  I always download anything onto one of my secondary xboxes (the kids xboxes) first.  After purchasing and downloading it on their console, I then go to download history on my primary xbox and download it again. Viola!  This works with 95% of games.  Also works with most season pass content and add on DLC packs.

It sounds like you probably downloaded minecraft and trials on your primary xbox first if I am reading right.  Even so, you can still take advantage of the 2nd DL.  Jenny could play on your primary xbox and you could play on yours.  Just a thought if you two were wanting to do some multiplayer trials.  The split screen multiplayer blows.
ahhh.. yep.. next time, i'll download on hers first.

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2012, 10:37:06 AM »
The initial xbox that a game is downloaded on always has a copy on it.  The 2nd xbox must be hooked up to Xbox Live to access the game.  It's actually a flaw, but I use that flaw to double dip.  I always download anything onto one of my secondary xboxes (the kids xboxes) first.  After purchasing and downloading it on their console, I then go to download history on my primary xbox and download it again. Viola!  This works with 95% of games.  Also works with most season pass content and add on DLC packs.

It sounds like you probably downloaded minecraft and trials on your primary xbox first if I am reading right.  Even so, you can still take advantage of the 2nd DL.  Jenny could play on your primary xbox and you could play on yours.  Just a thought if you two were wanting to do some multiplayer trials.  The split screen multiplayer blows.
ahhh.. yep.. next time, i'll download on hers first.

That's the ticket!!

Not that anyone buys them anymore, or ever really, but this also works for themes.  But not avatar items.

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2012, 07:06:48 AM »
Well, we officially close on the new house today, meaning I’ll mostly be away from gaming for a good week. Don’t worry, I’ve been playing Minecraft in my sleep!

Offline Master X

• Founding Father, Video Game Mod
  • Showtime Karma: 601
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2012, 12:28:20 PM »
May 360 is working fine again, it's weird but I notice it would only freeze and give me the red lights on death whenever I had my play and charge kit plugged in but when it's unplugged it works fine........ Weird but it's a relief.