Author Topic: Video of Uncharted @ CES 2012  (Read 2716 times)

Offline DustoMan

• Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 530
Video of Uncharted @ CES 2012
« on: January 14, 2012, 08:58:37 PM »
This is one of two videos I took while at CES.  I thought you guys might be interested to see this game in action.  It's definitely the Vita's hardcore flagship launch title.  In addition to getting to play a little bit of Uncharted.  I played Little Deviants, which ships with the Vita unit in the special early adopter bundle, and took the UI for a spin.  Overall, I feel this is what the PSP should have been in terms of screen quality, graphics horse power, and DUAL ANALOG STICKS! (Which feel great, BTW.)  

Little Deviants is essentially the WiiSports or Kinect Adventures of the Vita.  A collection of mini-games each showcasing an aspect of what makes the Vita unique.  I played an AR shooter mini-game where I had to protect some guys from getting shot down by evil robots.  You for sure need some room to spin around with the game because the enemies are attacking from all sides.  Really neat to show off AR and some forgiving targeting and lock on power-ups.  The other mini-game I played utilized the rear touch pad.  This one, while and interesting concept, is kinda hard get used to.  The rear display is multi-touch, but that aspect is disabled for this game so it doesn't make it too easy to play.  You have to get this little orange ball rolled around an environment with enemy robots and obstacles by touching the rear display and "pushing up" the ground near the ball causing it to roll.  It could have been because of the stand the Vita was tethered to for the booth display, but I actually had some trouble getting my finger to slide along the rear pad like I wanted to.  It for sure didn't hold my interest as long as the AR shooter mini-game.

Uncharted was impressive more because you are playing a "PS3" quality title in such a small piece of hardware.  The graphics are great and look wonderful on the Vita's OLED screen.  The lady that was helping me through the game kept wanting to push the touch aspect of play more than the traditional Uncharted control method that I felt more comfortable with.  Maybe it was because of where I was picking up the gameplay, but there aren't any prompts to assist you with how you could be touching the screen.  The lady kept telling me to trace where I wanted Drake to climb, but that felt very awkward to me.  What I found worked better was tapping where I wanted him to end up and having him move on his own.  Kinda disconnecting you from the gameplay, but it worked better, IMO.  You can kinda hear me allude to this in the video I show of the person who was standing behind me while I played.

(At the beginning of the video, I'm listening to the booth attendant talk about debug and marketing units and not directing where the guy playing should go.  He was supposed to tap or climb some gold bricks to climb up, but instead turned around to go on a little boon-doggle.  It wasn't until he said he was lost that she realized, she should be doing her job and helping him. Whoops.)

Finally, I spent some time with the Vita UI and video playback.  What I thought was cool was that you can have multiple applications suspended at a given time, unlike only one of the 3DS.  You are presented with a series of bubbles each representing an application and can scroll up and down between them.  You can then swipe to the right to page though applications that are already running.  Each Vita will ship with something called Welcome Park which is intended to give you a general overview of the Vita's hardware and software features including some simple mini games to show off the multi-touch touchscreen and let to practice some of the gestures you will use to interact with the UI. The UI does the job, but I wonder if it's as efficient as the XMB is on the PSP and PS3.  The unit I was using was a 3G unit so it had GPS and a live data connection to AT&T.  I finally was able to get an answer on my SIM card question with the Vita.  It does have a Mini-SIM so the first thing I'm going to do is try do pop my iPad 3G mini-SIM in there which has unlimited data (which isn't offered anymore by AT&T) so see if I can avoid having to pay for a second and capped connection.

So I guess the big announcement of the show was the Netflix will be coming for US/EU launch if not, shortly after.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:01:29 PM by DustoMan »

Dusto
dustoman [at] gmail [dot] com

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 611
    • Video Game Rumors
Re: Video of Uncharted @ CES 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:41:44 AM »
Cool write-up.. thanks for posting!

Online miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 680
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:12:55 AM »
incredible awesome write up Dusto.. thanks for sharing.

Online miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 680
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 03:32:27 PM »
dusto, thank you for your contribution.    looks like you've made N4G, for this thread.

http://n4g.com/news/921767/video-of-uncharted-psvita-a-ces-2012

again, great write up, and nice video.   thakns again.

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 04:24:53 PM »
dusto, thank you for your contribution.    looks like you've made N4G, for this thread.

http://n4g.com/news/921767/video-of-uncharted-psvita-a-ces-2012

again, great write up, and nice video.   thakns again.
;u

Offline DustoMan

• Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 530
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 11:09:54 PM »
Nice!
Dusto
dustoman [at] gmail [dot] com