Author Topic: UMD Passport Program Not Coming to North America  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Master X

• Founding Father, Video Game Mod
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 602
UMD Passport Program Not Coming to North America
« on: February 07, 2012, 08:54:20 PM »
http://vita.ign.com/articles/121/1218182p1.html

few months ago IGN reported on a Japanese PlayStation Vita program known as the UMD Passport. Basically, players could download a program on the PSP, pop in UMDs, and get the games noted on their PlayStation Network accounts. From there, players would be able to download the noted game to the Vita for a reduced price.

Today, Sony announced the plan is not coming to North America. The full statement is below.

SCEA will not be offering the UMD Passport program. U.S. consumers who already own digital versions of select PSP titles will be able to seamlessly transfer those games to their PS Vita system. PSP games played on PS Vita will offer upscaled video quality that's ideal for the system's 5-inch OLED screen, along with controls that are optimized for its features such as the dual analog sticks. At the launch of PS Vita, 250 PSP titles (including minis) will be available, and hundreds of additional titles will be available post-launch.

Offline cuco33

• 2011 CO-Member of the Year
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 368
    • eurokult
Re: UMD Passport Program Not Coming to North America
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 07:23:45 AM »
That's a fail in my book. But I guess they saw it as a more costly venture more than anything. I don't mind because if I want to play PSP games I'll use my PSP. The Vita and it's power is just such a big difference when I tried it out yesterday at GameStop. I only played FIFA demo on it and it is a huge improvement over the past 5 years of PSP FIFA games. HUGE! I would not be going back to past FIFAs after trying that FIFA VITA game

I was dead set on not getting a Vita yet and was going to hold off until price cuts and updates happened but after trying it out for the first time, and FIFA (1 of the few games I play on my PSP)... i might need to get one sooner rather than later lol