Author Topic: T-Mobile: we probably lost all your Sidekick data  (Read 3295 times)

Offline chaz_uk

• Founding Father, Gadget Moderator
  • Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 511
    • My Google+ Profile
T-Mobile: we probably lost all your Sidekick data
« on: October 10, 2009, 01:03:35 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/10/t-mobile-we-probably-lost-all-your-sidekick-data/
Well, this is shaping up to be one of the biggest disasters in the history of cloud computing, and certainly the largest blow to Danger and the Sidekick platform: T-Mobile's now reporting that personal data stored on Sidekicks has "almost certainly has been lost as a result of a server failure at Microsoft/Danger." They're still looking for a way to recover it, but they're not giving users a lot of hope -- meanwhile, servers are still on the fritz and customers are being advised not to let their devices power down because anything that's still on there will be lost the next time the device is turned on. Another communique is promised from T-Mobile on Monday to give everyone a status update on the recovery efforts, but at this point, it's not looking good at all.

How can these phones NOT have local backup data? Crazy shit.

Pc gaming, tablet owning, smart phoning gadget user.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 680
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Re: T-Mobile: we probably lost all your Sidekick data
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 04:23:03 PM »
i don't understand this... explain more chaz.      what info are they losing?   is this only a sidekick thing?     i have t mobile, g1 google phone.        what's this data they're losing? 

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 680
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 05:05:58 PM »
http://forums.t-mobile.com/tmbl/board?board.id=Sidekick_LX_2009

Sidekick customers, during this service disruption, please DO NOT remove your battery, reset your Sidekick, or allow your device to lose power.

Updated:10/8/2009 5:45 PM PDT

Dear valued T-Mobile Sidekick customers:

I realize that for many of you, your T-Mobile Sidekick is how you stay in touch with your friends, family and others. I sincerely apologize for the impact the current disruption of data services may be having on you. I assure you that T-Mobile is working very closely with Danger/Microsoft to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. T-Mobile-supported services, such as voice calls and SMS/MMS, have not been affected and continue to be operational. Danger/Microsoft has been working, and will continue working through the week, to restore data functionality and other features.

I understand that this data service disruption is very frustrating to our valued Sidekick customers. For many years, the Sidekick has been, and continues to be, a cornerstone device for T-Mobile. And we believe Sidekick customers are among the most loyal customers anywhere. Recognizing that, and to address any inconvenience Sidekick data customers are experiencing, T-Mobile will automatically credit one month of data service to customers who subscribe to T-Mobile Sidekick data plans. There is nothing you need to do to get this credit T-Mobile will post the credit to these accounts in the coming days.

We will continue to post the latest information and FAQs to these Forums. I appreciate you being a loyal T-Mobile customer, and appreciate your patience as everyone works hard to resolve the current issues. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jim Alling, Chief Operations Officer, T-Mobile USA

Offline chaz_uk

• Founding Father, Gadget Moderator
  • Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 511
    • My Google+ Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 10:32:31 PM »
Don't worry about your G1 mid.

From what I can tell, the sidekick doesn't store contact, notes, messages on the phone and if you power cycle your phone it tries to sync with the server. As there is no data whatsoever on the server, what was on the phone gets erased.

Android based handsets store your data on the phone and in googles servers so we should never come across this.

Fuck knows what t-mobile are going to do.
Pc gaming, tablet owning, smart phoning gadget user.

Offline Loady Smurf

• Founding Father
  • Feeling it down in your plumbs.
  • Showtime Karma: 498
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 12:56:53 PM »
They are going to have to change their name over this from T-Mobile to Shit-T-Mobile.