Author Topic: HS WR pulls in 28 receptions in one game!  (Read 1369 times)

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 732
HS WR pulls in 28 receptions in one game!
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:42:49 PM »
Bad-ass!!  Too bad it was in a loss.  The link has a video of him against the top DB prospect.  He makes him his bitch.

For wide receivers in some offenses, 28 receptions would make for a pretty decent season. For Camarillo (Calif.) High receiver Jake Maulhardt, it made for one very good night.

According to the Los Angeles Times and Ventura County Star, among other publications, Maulhardt somehow finished his team's 52-28 loss to Canyon (Calif.) High with an astounding 28 catches. That total was good for a California single- game record, not to mention 347 yards and three touchdowns.
The Star reported that Maulhardt's 28 receptions were good for the fourth-highest single-game total in national history at the high school level. MaxPreps did that record one better, claiming it was good for third-best all time. The record is a 32-catch performance from an undisclosed game in 1942 (that fact was confirmed by both MaxPreps and the Sacramento Bee).
There are plenty of reasons for Maulhardt's success; the senior stands at a lanky 6-foot-7 but has deceptive speed, making him a handful for any defensive back. On Friday, Canyon routinely double and even triple covered the receiver, who has attracted recruiting attention from five different Pac-12 programs, but none of those efforts even slowed him down, let alone stopped him.
Just how "in the zone" was Maulhardt? According to the Times, he hardly even had a concept of how many grabs he'd made by the end of the game.
"After the game, my coaches were like, 'Do you know how many catches you have?' I was like, 14. They went, 'We think you broke the state record,'" Maulhardt told the Times. "The quarterback kept giving me the ball."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Statistically-speaking-WR-pulls-in-28-reception?urn=highschool-wp6282