Author Topic: Books & Videos  (Read 1388 times)

Offline SadisticKeith

• Learn to Play Moderator
  • Founding Father
  • In the Showtime for Free, Wolfpack.
  • Showtime Karma: 544
Books & Videos
« on: September 15, 2011, 03:36:47 PM »
I just thought that I would post some information about some books and videos that I have acquired over the years. There is an infinite number of lessons on Youtube you can watch for free and while some are good most are crap! So here is a list of some stuff I have used in the past and continue to use whenever I feel I need a refresher:

John Petrucci's Rock Discipline: If you haven't seen this or picked it up yet do yourself a favor. GET IT! The information in this video is extensive and John Petrucci is a great teacher who explains things well in great detail. I also have the book that I purchased separately which has also proven to be invaluable. If you use torrent trackers you can find the video at Demonoid. The best thing about this particular video/book is it goes over everything from stretching and proper warm up to avoid injuries all the way through technique, scales and scale fragments right up to brushing chordal theory. A must have for players of ALL levels which is another great perk. You do not have to be an intermediate or advanced shredder to get something out of this book

Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics For Lead Guitar: Troy Stetina is a graduate of M.I.T.'s G.I.T. guitar course and is another great teacher. This book is PACKED with great exercises and examples that will have you flying all over your fretboard with enough practice and again there is something here for everyone. I have not personally tried any of Troy's other books but I would definitely consider it as Speed Mechanics has been a great buy for me personally and like I said Troy is a great teach who can play his ass off. Troy has books and videos that cover every style you could think of and just like John Petrucci he goes over everything in great detail.

Lick Library series: I do not have much experience with this stuff but I just started watching the ones teaching you how to play Iron Maiden songs. Their instructors seem to be top notch as well. Danny Gil and Andy James do a great job of breaking licks and phrases down to speeds where you can clearly see what they are doing with no need to read tabs. A lot of videos include tabs in book form making it hard to focus on the video with your nose buried in a book and some like Yngwie Malmsteen's instruction videos DO NOT INCLUDE TABS AT ALL! Yngwie for example explains what he is doing and then even when he plays them "slowly" you still can't really see what he is doing. Andy James has also released a Shred Guitar In Six Weeks DVD course that I am about to start checking out. I will give a review and maybe some Youtube clips once I can take a look at it.

Anybody got any questions let me know as we are here to help you.

This my BOOMSTICK!

"Oh, that's just what we call 'pillow talk' baby, that's all"

Ash

Offline SadisticKeith

• Founding Father
Re: Books & Videos
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 06:52:34 PM »
Just found this site a few minutes ago. They are definitely trying to sell you their guitar course but they also seem to have a shitload of free info as well. Check it out.

http://guitarsecrets.com/exercises.htm
This my BOOMSTICK!

Ash

Offline SadisticKeith

• Founding Father
Re: Books & Videos
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 05:08:09 PM »
Just picked up Fretboard Mastery by Troy Stetina (the author of Speed Mechanics For Lead Guitar). This book has EVERYTHING! It goes over quite a bit of theory from beginning to advanced as well as techniques for learning the fretboard and modes, scales, chord theory.....I HIGHLY recommend this book!
This my BOOMSTICK!

Ash