Author Topic: 42 percent of US Xbox Live users watch one hour of video content per day  (Read 3730 times)

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 729
We use a lot more than the 30 hour average in my house.    I wonder what the PS3 numbers are emil?

This generation is the first where companies could add new features to consoles over through simple software updates. Digital video rentals, and services like Netflix and Hulu have crept onto the consoles over the years, but do people really take advantage of these options?

According to Microsoft, video content demand is rising with 42 percent of Xbox Live Gold users in the US watching an average of one hour of television and movies on their Xbox, per day.

A Microsoft representative explained to Shacknews that the "more than 30 hours of digitally distributed television and movies" consumed by Xbox Live 'Gold' members per month extends to all available content providers on the platform: Zune, Netflix, ESPN, and Hulu.

Terry Farrell, Senior Product Manager for Xbox Live at Microsoft, told Shacknews that video consumption on the Xbox 360 has gone grown by "three times" over the last twelve months.

Though PlayStation 3 offers additional video options--such as MLB, NHL, and NFL subscription services--Farrell said that Microsoft is not in a hurry to catch up. "We were the first to have Netflix, now it's everywhere" he reminded me during a preview of the upcoming dashboard update. When asked if new services, like HBO GO would come to the Xbox, Farrell wouldn't say but noted that "more announcements are coming" and that I would be pleased with what I hear.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/70104/42-percent-of-us-xbox-live-users-watch-one-hour

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
Re: 42 percent of US Xbox Live users watch one hour of video content per day
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 02:36:56 AM »
the ps3 is actually the top performer for netflix at 33% or something. But you know that's because it has shit for games. It's only good for the flicks ;)

And yeah I spend way more than an hour a day watching netflix on the box. We're considering getting the hulu+ (and will before we bother paying the outlandish cable prices) but I don't see that happening until we're at least through out Mad Men marathon (which given is probably only gonna last another week....)

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 02:45:01 AM »
the ps3 is actually the top performer for netflix at 33% or something. But you know that's because it has shit for games. It's only good for the flicks ;)

And yeah I spend way more than an hour a day watching netflix on the box. We're considering getting the hulu+ (and will before we bother paying the outlandish cable prices) but I don't see that happening until we're at least through out Mad Men marathon (which given is probably only gonna last another week....)

Sweet, Mad Men is our next endeavour!  We just finished up the bottomless Heroes series tonight.  So is Mad Men pretty good then?

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 02:49:02 AM »

Sweet, Mad Men is our next endeavour!  We just finished up the bottomless Heroes series tonight.  So is Mad Men pretty good then?
It is a damn solid show yes. AMC has been doing amazing things, I wish they'd get Breaking Bad on there!

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 03:40:53 AM »

It is a damn solid show yes. AMC has been doing amazing things, I wish they'd get Breaking Bad on there!

Sweet.  We'll probably start it off tonight.

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 615
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 01:46:06 PM »
netflix is always on my xbox before 8pm... for some reason the kids like the old 80s cartoons and the 90s nicktoons.... xaviers been all about some rockos modern life, angry beavers, rugrats, and ahhhh! real monsters.

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 03:46:31 PM »
netflix is always on my xbox before 8pm... for some reason the kids like the old 80s cartoons and the 90s nicktoons.... xaviers been all about some rockos modern life, angry beavers, rugrats, and ahhhh! real monsters.

Yeah, tons of Netflix watching goes on in this home.  Kids watch all sorts of stuff.  Well, they do now anyway, ever since I restricted them from seeing boobies.  :titties:

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 06:37:30 PM »

Because those shows are fucking rad!

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 06:39:47 PM »

Yeah, tons of Netflix watching goes on in this home.  Kids watch all sorts of stuff.  Well, they do now anyway, ever since I restricted them from seeing boobies.  :titties:

shame on you!!!

actually my kids go from turning on the system> turning on the tv> signing in > to netflix> browse what ever section has the cartoon they are looking for. all on their own...

actually ive pasted out watchign one show with them to waking up to a totally different thing.

Because those shows are fucking rad!

yea i know!!!! im the one who put them in the instant queue and showed them

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 06:46:55 PM »
actually my kids go from turning on the system> turning on the tv> signing in > to netflix> browse what ever section has the cartoon they are looking for. all on their own...

Yeah, mine do too.  I just have their Xboxes restricted to PG and G movies, unless I put in a button code for them because I caught them watching boobie movies late at night too many times.

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 06:49:23 PM »

Yeah, mine do too.  I just have their Xboxes restricted to PG and G movies, unless I put in a button code for them because I caught them watching boobie movies late at night too many times.

hahahahahaha! do you blame them?!  wait can it be restricted to just gt or the xbox entirely?

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 06:49:44 PM »

They are also purchase restricted.  So they don't accidently buy something. :chesh:

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 06:51:06 PM »

hahahahahaha! do you blame them?!  wait can it be restricted to just gt or the xbox entirely?

Either way.  I just restrict via the gamertag tho.  That way if I'm using their xbox with my gamertag I don't have to deal with that crap.

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 06:51:22 PM »

Yeah, mine do too.  I just have their Xboxes restricted to PG and G movies, unless I put in a button code for them because I caught them watching boobie movies late at night too many times.

They are also purchase restricted.  So they don't accidently buy something. :chesh:

thats ONLY good if they arent on YOUR gamertag.

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
    • facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »

Either way.  I just restrict via the gamertag tho.  That way if I'm using their xbox with my gamertag I don't have to deal with that crap.

ooooooo well i might have to set that up, and tell them to log into their names and not mine.