Author Topic: Nintendo Wii U: Nintendo shares official specs  (Read 7582 times)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 678
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Nintendo Wii U: Nintendo shares official specs
« on: June 07, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »
And so the next Gen begins...  :funshine: :funshine: :funshine: :jedi:

Nintendo unveiled their next-generation system during their conference today, officially known as the Wii U, but the controller was the focus of the conference. Housing a touch-screen and the ability to stream content from the new console to the controller's screen for gameplay, use as an easier means to manage inventory, or other game aspects, the controller was the highlight of the show. Using the controller and Wii-mote at the same time, the controller offers a very unique experience never witnessed in the gaming industry.

Nintendo has shared the official specs on the system and controller via a press release this afternoon -- find the first images of the controller here and system here. You can also view the first screens New Super Mario Bros. Mii here.

Other confirmed information that has been revealed throughout the day is that the system will not use Blu Ray discs but will use a large capacity disc format, Wii games will not be upscaled, and the controller's stream range is limited to the same room -- or close proximity to the system -- and the touch-screen is single-touch.

Launches: 2012
    Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.

New Controller: The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button
    controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional
    barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the
    video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home
    button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a
    built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo
    speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.

Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once.
    The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the
    Nunchuk™ controller, Classic Controller™, Classic Controller Pro™ and Wii Balance
    Board™.

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density
    optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
    Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI,
    component, S-video and composite.

Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
    Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its
    memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.

CPU: IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.

Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible
    with Wii games and Wii accessories.

Note: Details are subject to change.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Nintendo Wii U: Nintendo shares official specs - National Video Game | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/nintendo-wii-u-nintendo-shares-official-specs#ixzz1Odb7Nf7f

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/nintendo-wii-u-nintendo-shares-official-specs
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:00:11 PM by miDnIghtEr20C »

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
Re: Nintendo Wii U: Nintendo shares official specs
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 04:01:32 PM »

Wii U Specs Comparison

With the Wii-U announced today, how does it stack up against the current-gen consoles? We’ve taken the released Wii-U specs and put them up against recent PS3 and Xbox 360 models.

Playstation 3 – 360GB Slimline

Launch price: £269.99
Console Dimensions: 325 x 98 x 274mm
Processing Power: Cell Processing unit with PowerPC based core
Connectivity: AV Output, HDMI, USB 2.0, Optical Audio, Ethernet
Features: Blu-Ray Drive, Nvidia RSX Graphics, Cell Processor, Built in Hard-drive, Built in Wifi
Interface connectivity: USB / Bluetooth Controllers, Playstation eye / Move controllerSupported Formats: 1080p, 720p, 480p 1080i and 576i

Xbox 360 250gb Slimline

Launch Price: £199.99
Console Dimensions: 270 x 75 x 264mm
Connectivity: AV, HDMI, Optical Audio, USB 2.0
Features: Built in Wifi, 45 nanometer integrated CPU and GPU, ‘,Whisper quiet system’, built in hard-drive,
Interface connectivity: USB/Wireless controllers, Kinect Camera
Supported Formats: 1080p, 720p, 480p 1080i and 576i
Processing Power: Customized IBM PowerPC CPU with 3 dual-threaded cores

Wii-U

Launch Price: TBA
Console Dimensions:  45 x 165 x 255mm
Connectivity: HDMI, component, S-video, composite, four USB 2.0 ports and is backward compatible with all Wii accessories and controllers
Features: IBM Power-based multi-core processor
Interface connectivity: 6.2″ 16:9 touch-screen on controller as well as a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus
Supported formats: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i

Launch Price as always will play a major factor in the success of the Wii-U. There is no doubt that with the controllers design and interface, it could well be an expensive console, this is unfortunately something that we’ll have to wait for time to tell. Traditionally the Nintendo products have faired well against the Xbox and PS3, but with current drops on Sony and Microsofts HD systems, can the Wii-U really gain the initial boost or will the price be an off-put?

In terms of Size the Wii-U comes out on top for us. It’s all about the compact systems, somethng the wii always did well, so it’s good to see that Nintendo have not dropped this! Whilst the Xbox and PS3 have now undergone their “slimline” refits, the Wii-U is launching smaller – which is a bonus for Nintendo!

Connectivity would have destroyed Nintendo if they hadnt finally hit onto HDMI, it is however a shame that as a new console it does not incorporate USB 3.0. The PS3 and Xbox understandably do not have USB 3 y, but the potential for this in future models is high and could allow a much faster gaming experience, so the Wii-U being on par is a bad thing for Nintendo.

Now in terms of backwards compatibility the best example would be the Wii vs the Wii-U and the Xbox slim vs old Xbox 360. Harddrives and memory units – pretty key pieces of kit – were no longer available for use with the Xbox Slim, whereas the Wii-U seems to build on this error as ALL tech is backward compatible, leaving no wastages for gamers! This is great as it means people won’t necessarily be buying new kit.

http://www.randomprodinc.com/wii-u-specs-comparison/

Offline Pakman3000

• Founding Father
  • Showtime's in your blood.
  • Showtime Karma: 405
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »
So all controller specs and no console specs. That's why there was confusion as to what was revealed this morning. You'd think the tablet did everything.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »
i'm still very confused. :3st:

OMEGA BOMBS

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 04:50:29 PM »

now those are cool smileys!

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 727
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:17:28 PM »

Me too!!  That controller looks cool and all, but I sure as hell don't want to use it for every game.  So do the old Wii-motes work on the new console?  Seems to read that way.

All I know for sure is, I want it!!

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
Wii U Discs Will Be 25GB In Size

Stephen Totilo — In a wide-ranging interview with Kotaku regarding the new Wii U console, one of Nintendo's chief game designers, Katsuya Eguchi, confirmed that the system's proprietary disc format will hold 25 Gigabytes of data. That squares with our own reporting from before E3 and puts Nintendo in a good place to run games that fill up a single-layer 25GB Blu-Ray disc, the format used by current console king of large game discs, the PlayStation 3.

Eguchi declined to comment on our report, from the same people who told us about the 25GB, that the system's internal flash memory is 8GB. Earlier today, a Nintendo rep explained that the new console will support external USB drives, for added storage capacity.

We'll have tons more about Wii U, including a lot of insights from Eguchi about what makes this console special for Nintendo, in the coming days.
http://kotaku.com/5809701/wii-u-discs-will-be-25gb-in-size

Offline Pakman3000

• Founding Father
  • Showtime's in your blood.
  • Showtime Karma: 405
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 12:19:26 AM »
At this time DO NOT WANT. Here's why:

-No specs to see how future proof it is or capabilities
-Uses 360 and PS3 game trailers for 3rd party montage
-Reggie was deceptive and had a wait & see attitude during interviews
-Presentation was all about the controller

Why should we be hyped about an NGP tethered to a console we can't take anywhere. One firmware update and Sony can steal their thunder with NGP to PS3 tethering for the same functionality.

Offline DustoMan

• Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 529
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 09:12:25 AM »
You'd think the tablet did everything.

The way that Nintendo's focus yesterday was on the controller, I can see why you would think that.  Some hack "nerd" on G4 was speculating right after the briefing that the New Controller and the console both needed to have chips inside them to process all off the Wii U's graphics muscle to put both images on the New Controller and TV at the same time.  B... S...

Considering that Nintendo said that the picture being transmitted had "no latency", I'm betting that they are using a standard on the market called WirelessHD to beam the video out from the console box to the New Controller.  I had the option of putting a WirelessHD chip in the new Alienware laptop I just bought last month.  The benefit was that is used a 60Ghz signal to send a large burst of video data over a short distance.  Even full 1080p HD.  Pretty much all other technologies are limited to lower resolutions or can only display graphics using an integrated graphics chip.  It's either this OR Intel has another form of Wireless Display technology called WiDi that uses their laptop WiFi cards, but Nintendo in the past hasn't partnered with Intel when it comes to the system internals.

IBM put out a press releases to brag about their chip being the CPU in the Wii U console. All they said was that it was multi-core 45nm in size.  Oh and based on the same systems that were used in Watson who beat Ken Jennings at Jeopardy. (Our new computerized overlords are infiltrating our homes thanks to Nintendo!)
Dusto
dustoman [at] gmail [dot] com

Offline Master X

• Founding Father, Video Game Mod
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 601
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 07:01:22 PM »
Farewell, Friend Codes: Wii U to have single online identity and friends list
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/08/farewell-friend-codes-wii-u-to-have-single-gamertag-and-friend/

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 12:20:11 AM »

-Reggie was deceptive and had a wait & see attitude during interviews

Hmm.... odd I too have a wait & see attitude on this one.....

Certainly not fond of the idea of buying a controller for $100+ regardless of how cool it may seem....

Don't know if the Wii U is more powerful than current gen systems and if it is/isn't by how much....

However Nintendo's theoretical focus on the "core" gamers and third party publishing is most welcome.

:<B>

Offline cuco33

• 2011 CO-Member of the Year
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 367
    • eurokult
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 06:37:02 AM »
Farewell, Friend Codes: Wii U to have single online identity and friends list
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/08/farewell-friend-codes-wii-u-to-have-single-gamertag-and-friend/

THANK GOD!!!

Those Wii codes... absolutely terrible idea especially when devs like EA make their own system on top of the Wii codes.

Offline cuco33

• 2011 CO-Member of the Year
  • Showtime Karma: 367
    • eurokult
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 06:40:05 AM »
I haven't seen much of Nintendo's WiiU or their presentation but right now I'm not sold. I saw the size of the controller and that thing... it has some promise but overall... it might force devs to use it via tacked on rather than designing a game around it. I could see an Aliens type of game where the controller is your radar thing and the screen is the player's view. Outside of that.. it just replaces the tv. It seems borderline portable/home console and I don't get it yet

Offline mondayshift

• "I'm not a hot asian chick"
  • Founding Father
  • Showtime Karma: 605
    • flickr
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 07:10:10 AM »
price might be the only thing standing between me and the U. my sons already asking for the white controller after seeing the reveal.
Fool Me Once, Shame on You, Fool Me Twice, I punch your face!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mondayshift/

Offline itputdalotion0n

• Showtime Karma: 554
  • REAL TALK, Cause FAKE TALK just wont do.
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 08:39:06 AM »
I dont understand is this just the controller for a new console or is it a new controller for the wii to take the wii on the road with you and they are calling it a new console cause its portable. Im kinda mind bottled. I would be down for the latter as putting virtual console games on that and taking them with you would be perfect for me at the fairs i get bored as fuck there.
Let me hit you with some REAL TALK

Record Vs Vapor 2-0 with the Fantasy Panthers, 1-0 With the gutted Chiefs.

Master_X: Yeah, I like Kidd, my team back in the day was the Kings when he played with bibby and webber