Author Topic: New York City outdoor smoking ban begins  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Isntmenttolast

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 614
    • facebook
New York City outdoor smoking ban begins
« on: May 24, 2011, 08:17:27 AM »
New York (CNN) -- Smokers in New York City looking to light up in most public places will not be able to without paying a price after an outdoor citywide smoking ban takes effect Monday.

The law, which Mayor Michael Bloomberg signed in February after it was passed by the New York City Council, will make smoking illegal in New York City's 1,700 parks and on the city's 14 miles of public beaches. Smoking will also be prohibited in pedestrian plazas like Times Square.

The ban is designed to help curb exposure to secondhand smoke as well as reduce litter.

Secondhand smoke causes close to 50,000 deaths per year, and side effects may include lung cancer, respiratory infections and asthma, according to the American Lung Association's website. Cigarette butts account for 75% of the litter found on New York City beaches, according to a news release from Bloomberg's office.

"Smoking in parks and beaches not only harms people trying to enjoy these recreational facilities, it also causes a litter problem that harms the beauty of our parks," Bloomberg said before he signed the bill into law.

New York City follows in the footsteps of 105 municipalities (in states including California, Hawaii, Massachusetts and New Jersey) that have banned smoking on public beaches, according to data from the advocacy group Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights. Major cities include Los Angeles, Minneapolis and Seattle.

In states including California, Texas, Illinois, Minnesota and New Jersey, 507 municipalities impose laws that prohibit city parks, or specifically named city parks, to allow smoking. Major cities include Los Angeles, San Francisco and Salt Lake City.

Puerto Rico prohibits smoking in all parks and beaches.

"These smoke-free laws start at a local level," said Cynthia Hallett, executive director of Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights. "They are based on community demand, science looking at exposure to secondhand smoke and the environmental impact."

Thirty-five states have laws in effect that require 100% smoke-free nonhospitality workplaces, restaurants or bars, according to the American Nonsmokers' Rights Foundation's "Summary of 100% Smokefree State Laws and Population Protected by 100% U.S. Smokefree Laws" compiled in April 2011.

In all, 79.4% of the country's population is covered by local and state laws banning smoking.

Hallett added that the trend to ban smoking is working from the inside out, starting in the indoor workplace, moving to restaurants with patios and then eventually to the great outdoors.

Not all New Yorkers are embracing the ban. New York City C.L.A.S.H. (Citizens Lobbying Against Smoker Harassment), a grassroots organization, is staging a "smoke in the park" at a city beach to demonstrate "that this law will be paid the respect it deserves," according to its website

The ban will be enforced by the city's parks department, and if violators are caught, they could be fined $50.

New York City passed its first Smoke Free Air Act in 1988, when smoking was banned in public restrooms and taxicabs. Since then, the law has been amended three times, most notably in 2002, when smoking in some indoor areas -- including restaurants and bars -- was banned.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/23/new.york.smoking.ban/index.html

seriously wtf ok i understand indoors, kind of but outside?!? sooo uncool. and now this means this shit will end up down here in a few years which is ubberly uncool!!

Offline cuco33

• 2011 CO-Member of the Year
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 367
    • eurokult
Re: New York City outdoor smoking ban begins
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 09:42:41 AM »
SECOND HAND SMOKE DOES NOT KILL 50K PEOPLE PER YEAR!!! IT'S ALL FUCKING BULLSHIT....

As a smoker, and an R&D engineer in the medical field dealing with respiratory illnesses (yes... being a smoker in this field is an oxy moron of epic proportions, which isn't the point) I will tell you 1st hand smoking is bad like they all claim but the level of risk due to 2nd hand smoking is BULL TO THE FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the studies done which are linked by these laws have been thrown out of multiple courts including the supreme court, not recognized by doctors, clinicians, RTs and pulmonologists (lung docs), the list goes on. When asked how these studies came up with their figures, not only were they massively questionable and funky to start with, with MASSIVE amounts of assumptions but they also multiplied the end number by this crazy huge safety factor which they also based on a crazy assumptions. So this 50k/yr death thing is based on an assumption of an assumption of an assumption multiplied by an assumption...

The American Lung Association and politicians are on this bandwagon because it suits their motives but no one in it will really stand by the figures on 2nd hand smoking simply because they can't. They just publicize the figures instilling fear. Note... I was FOR the smoking ban at bars but not because of this study.
Worst case scenario is when you are in minimal space like a car or a tiny room and a lot of smoking is going on without ventilation. Outside of that, walking by a bus or cooking red meat is more dangerous than the risk of 2nd hand smoking affecting you for an entire you!! Besides... when the smoking bans were not around, how many non-smoking bartenders do you know came down with a respiratory illness or lung cancer? None whatsoever.
FYI there was a 12 year biased study in the UK/EU against smoking and their whole motive was against 2nd hand smoking. Vast majority of data they found in their government sponsored 12yr study actually went AGAINST what motive they were pushing for (like how many non smokers get sick from 2nd hand smoke, what children do with nonsmoking or smoking parents, etc). And the study magically 'disappeared'. Some scientists part of the study came out with their statements and I believe some were told to keep quiet, paid to be quiet, black flagged as a whistleblower so they have trouble finding work, etc.

See... I'm perfectly fine if they say this ban is due to cig butts on the floor and comforting non smokers but NOT when they keep linking these bullshit studies...

Can't fucking stand the fact that these laws are passed while linking these studies.... Again, 1st hand smoking is bad. 2nd hand smoking is bad for children who's lungs are still sensitive and developing. 2nd hand smoking can be bad if you are in an unventilated tiny box with a chain smoker smoking away. But 2nd hand smoking DOES NOT KILL 50K PEOPLE A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next time I'm in NYC I will purposely smoke in areas I'm not supposed to.
 >:( >:( >:(

FYI, this also goes in lines with the bullshit tax credit that the gov't is giving for hybrids and electric cars which are FAR DIRTIER in their life cycle than a H1 Hummer, and is part of the anti diesel US movement.. smoke n mirrors to get their ways...

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:11:23 AM »
cuco your awesome!!! 

i seriously hate it, i understand dont smoke in the entrances of place..... well kinda its anoying in damn 30 degreee weather and as a smoker, drinking and smoking go hand in hand, which is one reason i dont go to bars, id have to go out side every 10 min or somthing and screw that i can sit on my couch with my bottle and my pack of cigs and be happy,   and im with you cuco next time im in NYC im soooo smoking in a place im not supposed to, out side is out side in 2 seconds the smoke disipates into the air and all is good.  i completelt agree those studies are crap, its just way for the government to take away stuff we like to do. pretty soon theyll say you wont be allowed to drink unless in designated areas.

Offline cuco33

• eurokult
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 11:38:33 AM »
I was in Baltimore on the norm few years back doing some testing and they have signs that says $25 fine for smoking within X feet away from the building. Another $25 sign for smoking inside an elevator. I was tempted at doing it just for shits n giggles, pay the fine and call it a day but my company would not like it if I had started shit like that lol

I didn't notice the 1st time and someone pointed at the sign. I apologized and went towards the smoking area. It's not a biggy for me, just some adjustment to go outside in the area but in spring/summer time my area around Newark has tons of cafe's and bars and lounges with outside patios. It's where you want to be anyways during that time so it's no biggy for me. I was actually tired of the non smoking women constantly complaining about cig smell from going to the bars on the weekend. They complained about that long before they latched onto the studies which was my argument.. NOT having a problem with their complaints of smell and accidental burns but WAS a problem with the '50k/yr die from 2nd hand smoking'

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »
yea i understand the smell too but at the same time.... its a bar! its supposed to, depending on the environment of the bar, the ones where they do the local bands and stuff on friday and saturday night are gonna smell like smoke booze and god knows what else, thats the environment.

Offline SadisticKeith

• Learn to Play Moderator
  • Founding Father
  • In the Showtime for Free, Wolfpack.
  • Showtime Karma: 544
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 02:04:37 PM »
Non-smokers really make me wish I didn't quit smoking. What a bunch of whiny pussies! They ban smoking outside but you never hear them complain when they take in deep breaths of fucking car exhaust. Might as well fucking ban driving, barbecuing, chimneys, bonfires at the beach...While we are at it let's ban power plants, medical facilities...again, what a bunch of whiny pussies. I bet all these so called "health nuts" are gonna love dying of nothing.

Seriously these pussies are just as bad as people who drive hybrids or have an iPhone and act all smug about it. Pretentious, whiny, and smug pussies that want attention and to somehow verify how much of a better person they are than YOU! Funny thing about hybrids is while their emissions might not be as bad the amount of pollution given off to manufacture one is incredibly high. But they never want to talk about that part.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:14:00 PM by SadisticKeith »
This my BOOMSTICK!

"Oh, that's just what we call 'pillow talk' baby, that's all"

Ash

Offline cuco33

• eurokult
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 07:25:38 AM »
Don't get me started on hybrids man... by far the biggest crock of shit EVER and in the US gets a push from the gov't when diesel has shown far better reliability and far better fuel consumption compared to pretty much most if not all hybrids out there. If hybrids were such a big thing for fuel economy then why not have a lithium polymer battery tech mated with diesel... cuz they expect it to get over 80mpg MINIMUM and frankly... the oil companies can't have that.

The life cycle of a Prius, as in making it then customer using it then disposing of the car and parts, is far dirtier than an H1 (1st gen) Humvee... Yes... the big ass truck that gets 9mpg in the city and 12mpg on the highway is cleaner in terms of carbon foot print than the 'best' hybrid out there. Why?
Look at the fucking batteries...  ::)

In US we have this illness of needing the biggest trucks and we don't see the fuel consumption on it. I get that some need an SUV but vast majority don't. To promote fuel consumption, the gov't passed bullshit green laws for car makers so now everyone makes a hybrid to conform to the new standard that the entire line must meet a certain mpg requirement. It's bullshit... Had US adapted diesel rather than fear mongering the citizens of how bad diesel is... we'd follow what EVERY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD does outside of USA.

And dear ignorant americans... they even make race cars out of diesels... and they win the world's biggest race... on the fucking norm...

My friend has a VW Touareg V10 TDI... yes... a 10 cylinder diesel truck. 300hp, 500ft-lb of torque, can pull a freakin commercial airliner without a problem, does the 1/4 mile in 13seconds for a vehicle that weighs 2 tons, and still gets over 40mpg.... Hybrid these fucking nuts!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
hahaha cuco i love when you get on your rants.  good to see some people actually know what they are talking about.

me personally ill never own a hybrid, they just look so ugly to me, but besides that i like my car gets great milage and the damn things 10 years old.

Offline SadisticKeith

• Founding Father
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 12:09:58 AM »
Don't get me started on hybrids man... by far the biggest crock of shit EVER and in the US gets a push from the gov't when diesel has shown far better reliability and far better fuel consumption compared to pretty much most if not all hybrids out there. If hybrids were such a big thing for fuel economy then why not have a lithium polymer battery tech mated with diesel... cuz they expect it to get over 80mpg MINIMUM and frankly... the oil companies can't have that.

The life cycle of a Prius, as in making it then customer using it then disposing of the car and parts, is far dirtier than an H1 (1st gen) Humvee... Yes... the big ass truck that gets 9mpg in the city and 12mpg on the highway is cleaner in terms of carbon foot print than the 'best' hybrid out there. Why?
Look at the fucking batteries...  ::)

In US we have this illness of needing the biggest trucks and we don't see the fuel consumption on it. I get that some need an SUV but vast majority don't. To promote fuel consumption, the gov't passed bullshit green laws for car makers so now everyone makes a hybrid to conform to the new standard that the entire line must meet a certain mpg requirement. It's bullshit... Had US adapted diesel rather than fear mongering the citizens of how bad diesel is... we'd follow what EVERY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD does outside of USA.

And dear ignorant americans... they even make race cars out of diesels... and they win the world's biggest race... on the fucking norm...

My friend has a VW Touareg V10 TDI... yes... a 10 cylinder diesel truck. 300hp, 500ft-lb of torque, can pull a freakin commercial airliner without a problem, does the 1/4 mile in 13seconds for a vehicle that weighs 2 tons, and still gets over 40mpg.... Hybrid these fucking nuts!!!!!!!!!!

You are completely correct. Then add the fact that if we did switch to diesel how easy it would be to switch over to bio-diesel. If everything was switched to diesel I don't even think they would have to make any more adjustments or tweaks to run bio diesel. But we can't use food that we AREN'T gonna use to feed the needy to make efficient diesel fuel, that is just plain irresponsible...However, think of all the perfectly good food we waste and throw away. I'm don't see why we can't just use that Back To The Future II style and turn our food waste into bio-diesel. Oh, right we can; it is one way fast food establishments get rid of their fryer oil.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:12:23 AM by SadisticKeith »
This my BOOMSTICK!

Ash

Offline cuco33

• eurokult
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 07:12:37 AM »
The estimates for a diesely-lithium ion hybrid were to get about or 100mpg.
Tell me who wouldn't want that?!

The oil companies...
and that's why you aren't seeing this come out for years on end.

Sadly... every fucking day I see a piece of shit Prius on the road...  :inergy: :inergy: :inergy:
I hate that car... like... massively.

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 07:47:55 AM »
plus is pretty oooogley,

Offline SadisticKeith

• Founding Father
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 11:27:57 PM »
Apparently Shell was advertising a concept car (figures it will never release) that they invented that could go about 5,000mpg. It was advertised on the back on an old Scientific American magazine.
This my BOOMSTICK!

Ash

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 06:30:07 AM »
Apparently Shell was advertising a concept car (figures it will never release) that they invented that could go about 5,000mpg. It was advertised on the back on an old Scientific American magazine.

5000 mpg?!? wow, hell thats from east coast to west coast back to east coast on one tank of gas.... i could live with that.