Author Topic: Why Has Blu-ray Failed to Catch Hold?  (Read 4311 times)

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 610
    • Video Game Rumors
Why Has Blu-ray Failed to Catch Hold?
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:40:45 AM »
My VCR is stashed in a closet, right next to a couple of CD-ROM players, a laser disc player, and other forgotten electronics. Is my Blu-ray player about to join them?

Strategy Analytics researcher Peter King recently said his analysts were surprised that DVD player sales continued to be so strong against Blu-ray players. That reminded me of what some critics have suspected: Blu-ray really hasn't caught on -- and probably never will.

"I'm surprised DVDs have continued to hang on," said King, referring to the fact that player sales of over 20 million units in the U.S. last year were pretty much evenly split between DVD and Blu-ray models. His figures show that Blu-ray player sales will surpass DVD sales by the end of this year ... but only slightly.

Blu-ray discs and players are clearly superior to DVDs, offering more features and a better picture overall. Blu-ray players connected to the Web can offer games, extra movie features, and additional bonus materials online that DVD players generally can't. And the latest Blu-ray players can handle 3D discs, something no DVD player can do.

So why haven't shoppers been impressed? It can't be the price. Walmart sells Blu-ray players for as little as $70.

Researchers suggest the reason Blu-ray has struggled is the old war with competing format HD DVD (a war Blu-ray eventually won). But more important, they say, is that consumers have just failed to understand the benefits of Blu-ray. King told me consumers don't realize that DVDs can be played on Blu-ray machines and erroneously believe they'll have to replace their entire DVD collection if they get a Blu-ray player.

Blu-ray won the format war over 3 years ago, giving it plenty of time to build momentum. And most consumers aren't worried about replacing discs; they worry that if they get a Blu-ray player and start buying expensive Blu-ray versions of new movies, the discs won't play in their friends' DVD players or in the backseat of the car. They're right. (As if to prove it, many titles are now offered in Blu-ray and DVD combo packs.)

The real reason Blu-ray players never went mainstream? Quite frankly they were never that good.

There wasn't enough of a qualitative difference between the picture offered by an upconverted DVD and that of a Blu-ray disc. Sure, analysts and reviewers can tell the difference (most of the time), but it isn't a significant enough difference to make viewers sit up and take notice. It wasn't like the jump from VCRs to DVD players or from giant tube TVs to flat screens.

And now it may be too late for Blu-ray.

Recent research by analysts at NPD has shown that 77 percent of viewers still watch movies on disc, meaning there's hope for Blu-ray. On the other hand, after years of Hollywood studios fighting the trend, the future is clear: Movies and video are moving to online streaming services. No more video stores. No more discs and late fees.

Simply rent or buy the movie online and get it via Netflix, Amazon or Vudu. It won't be as sharp a picture as that offered by a Blu-ray disc, but you don't have to get off the couch. Indeed, it's such a significant trend that the makers of Blu-ray players were forced to add the very streaming services they compete against to their own players.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/04/19/feeling-blue-blu-ray/#ixzz1JzJV11CB

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Re: Why Has Blu-ray Failed to Catch Hold?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:46:51 AM »
i can agree with that.        all these pros and this and that who are "experts" on this kind of stuff... ya, of course they can see a difference... but to the joe six pack out there... the average person doesn't give a shit, and can't see the difference's as well.         it's just going to be one of those things.

Offline Szabada

• 2011 Co-Member of the Year
  • Showtime for Free Hero
  • Showtime Karma: 569
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:55:43 AM »
Well its like you said on another post about the "lens of truth".  I don't watch my movies with a 250x magnifying glass on my face.  Although I would like to get a bluray player and on certain movies like Tron I wish I had, or more so in BluRay 3D even.  But popping the disc in my 360 works just fine for me.  In time I'll get a BluRay but I'm not running out the door to get one. 

Offline cuco33

• 2011 CO-Member of the Year
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 367
    • eurokult
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:04:31 AM »
I still think BD will be the last disk format the masses will embrace. I also still think that DVD will be around for quite some time.

Offline Isntmenttolast

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 615
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:40:03 AM »
i can why everyone still buys dvd players and the dvds. i mean hell my kids have a dvd player in their room... i wouldnt want to put a 200 dollar blu ray in there not to mention a 20-30 dollar blu ray. plus almost every movie offers the special blu ray for liek 5 bucks more where you get the dvd+blu ray+ digital copy, hell some come with the 3d blu too.    certain movie are worth the fancyness others not so much, Tron is the only one ive actually been glad i had an hd tv for, and envied the 3d tv users. :-\

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 02:43:43 PM »
Yeah it's kinda hard to justify buying a bluray player when you can get a good dvd player for the price of a bluray disk. The quality isn't particularly different on most flicks. It only really makes sense for the highly visually driven films, such a avatar (which I really didn't like and can't imagine how much more unimpressed I would be if I hadn't seen it in blu) and other things of the like. Even films that should have justice paid to them on blu, such as T2 don't get upconverted to the quality of modern films and I doubt they really can be....

Offline Master X

• Founding Father, Video Game Mod
  • Showtime Karma: 601
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
Its not too late for Blu ray.

Player prices have dropped alot in the like year.  You can get a Blu ray player for $80 (lower brand) but they have the newest profile update and one the has wifi for netflix for about $130(Sony) which still isnt that bad.

Alot of Blu rays now have the DVD/Blu ray combo pack and the first week of the release you can get a good deals for Blu rays.     I got the Tron pack which had the DVD/Blu/Dig.Copy/Blu 3D for $24.99, the Tron with the 3D was $19.99
Harry Potter on DVD/Blu/Dig. Copy is $22.99 and only Blu only is $16.99.
Those are retail store prices and not amazon which is always on par or cheaper.

@canie you can get a low brand dvd player for $30 but most of the suck and you can get an low brand upconvert dvd player for $45 but again it sucks.

The good brand dvd players are about $45 and upconverts are around $60.

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 05:31:04 PM »

Player prices have dropped alot in the like year.  You can get a Blu ray player for $80 (lower brand) but they have the newest profile update and one the has wifi for netflix for about $130(Sony) which still isnt that bad.

Alot of Blu rays now have the DVD/Blu ray combo pack and the first week of the release you can get a good deals for Blu rays.     I got the Tron pack which had the DVD/Blu/Dig.Copy/Blu 3D for $24.99, the Tron with the 3D was $19.99

@canie you can get a low brand dvd player for $30 but most of the suck and you can get an low brand upconvert dvd player for $45 but again it sucks.

I don't disagree on any certain point. I obviously wouldn't recommend buying any super cheap electronic in general, but I'm far more snobby than most, though certainly less snobby than some.

My statements were meant purely to imply that a large impact as into why Blu isn't selling as well as some would imagine it "should be" (dvd took a while to take off too remember?) is the fact that Blu's cost $30. I mean for the price of two brand new blus I can get a brand new video game. On top of that with awesome services such as netflix it's what.... like $15/month to rent up to 10 blus a month? I've never been a huge fan of purchasing films unless I knew full well I was going to watch them multiple times. I know that many here would disagree with me and are a bit of collectors, and y'all have some mighty awesome collections at that! I donno, I've just never spent more than $10 for a flick no matter how much I wanted it, and I'm not planning on starting anytime soon. Sadly for the blu ray (especially in this economy) joe normal seemingly agree's with me. I mean how many homes are still without an HDTV in the US? I think blu is doing fine, and will probably stick around for a while, but digital distribution is creeping up on us fast, especially here in the states.

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Karma: 610
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:45:54 PM »
digital distribution is creeping up on us fast, especially here in the states.

Iím at about 75% Streaming/Netflix and 25% purchase on Blu/DVD.

There are some movies I just want to own, but streaming the other movies saves me a lot of money instead of blind buying.

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 06:20:02 PM »
digital distribution is creeping up on us fast, especially here in the states.

Iím at about 75% Streaming/Netflix and 25% purchase on Blu/DVD.

There are some movies I just want to own, but streaming the other movies saves me a lot of money instead of blind buying.

I'm 99.9% netflix the .1% I can't confirm nor deny the source. (Sony might be watching my IP, lol)

Offline SadisticKeith

• Learn to Play Moderator
  • Founding Father
  • In the Showtime for Free, Wolfpack.
  • Showtime Karma: 544
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 06:30:24 PM »

I don't disagree on any certain point. I obviously wouldn't recommend buying any super cheap electronic in general, but I'm far more snobby than most, though certainly less snobby than some.

My statements were meant purely to imply that a large impact as into why Blu isn't selling as well as some would imagine it "should be" (dvd took a while to take off too remember?) is the fact that Blu's cost $30. I mean for the price of two brand new blus I can get a brand new video game. On top of that with awesome services such as netflix it's what.... like $15/month to rent up to 10 blus a month? I've never been a huge fan of purchasing films unless I knew full well I was going to watch them multiple times. I know that many here would disagree with me and are a bit of collectors, and y'all have some mighty awesome collections at that! I donno, I've just never spent more than $10 for a flick no matter how much I wanted it, and I'm not planning on starting anytime soon. Sadly for the blu ray (especially in this economy) joe normal seemingly agree's with me. I mean how many homes are still without an HDTV in the US? I think blu is doing fine, and will probably stick around for a while, but digital distribution is creeping up on us fast, especially here in the states.

You are correct sir. And even DVDs cost upwards of $30 to $40 a pop when they were the new kids on the block.
This my BOOMSTICK!

"Oh, that's just what we call 'pillow talk' baby, that's all"

Ash

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 11:32:22 PM »

You are correct sir. And even DVDs cost upwards of $30 to $40 a pop when they were the new kids on the block.

and go figure they didn't sell well for until the players were under $100 and the dvds roughly $15.

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 729
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 08:37:28 AM »
I agree with all of you.  Cost has certainly been the #1 factor tho.  Joe six pack may not be able to fully appreciate the visual and sound quality upgrades provided by blu ray, but I'm sure most can see at least a slight difference.  But to them it isn't enough of an upgrade vs the uptick in cost.  Remember, Joe six pack is probably drinking Natural Light, or Busch, or Bud Light or some other piss crap beer because it's cheaper.  Joe six pack is about the buzz, not the taste.  As he is with movies. He just wants to see it, he doesn't care as much if it's 1080p dolby 7.1 4mil to 1 contrast ratio blu ray etc. But, Joe six pack LOVES blu ray.  Because it has driven the cost of standard DVDs thru the floor.  His favorite store has an entire dumpster bin of DVDs for $5ea.  Blu ray made that happen.  DVD players were still hovering around a hundo before blu ray.  Now one can be grabbed for around $30.

All that said, I don't see blu ray as a fail.  I'm actually really surprised to read that blu and dvd sales were a split last year.  I would have thought 65/35 in favor of standard dvd. Us blu ray snobs must be buying a lot of volume or something.  ::) 

Anyway, I love my blu ray player.  Did you know it also plays games?  ;)

Offline Szabada

• 2011 Co-Member of the Year
  • Showtime for Free Hero
  • Showtime Karma: 569
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 11:01:09 AM »
ALong with all of this would it also be because Blu Ray players require to be updated?  (I think)  I was at my local video store and they had a sign up saying that the newer Blu Ray discs might require you to update your Blu Ray player if you have an older player.  This could all cause problems for people who don't have wireless Blu Ray players and such.  Just a thought as to technology being too much for much of the population to want to deal with. 

Offline Pakman3000

• Founding Father
  • Showtime's in your blood.
  • Showtime Karma: 405
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 12:31:32 PM »
i can why everyone still buys dvd players and the dvds. i mean hell my kids have a dvd player in their room... i wouldnt want to put a 200 dollar blu ray in there not to mention a 20-30 dollar blu ray. plus almost every movie offers the special blu ray for liek 5 bucks more where you get the dvd+blu ray+ digital copy, hell some come with the 3d blu too.    certain movie are worth the fancyness others not so much, Tron is the only one ive actually been glad i had an hd tv for, and envied the 3d tv users. :-\

Blu players can be found on the cheap. I bought one for about $40(Netflix app,wifi) and donated it to my work so we can watch flicks on our shift. As for the disks, They can be found cheap used. Unlike buying DVDs used, BDs have that antiscratch coating by TDK. Not sure why everyone overlooks this HUGE selling point. I don't buy too many movies for myself due to Netflix streaming(and soon Amazon Prime streaming filling library gaps). I do buy a load of animated films for my kid. Bought Megamind, Bambi, Toy Story 1-3 etc for $9-13 like new on Amazon's marketplace. You just have to look for deals. At most, the Digital copy code may be used but most times everything is pristine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durabis