Author Topic: 3DS black screen worse than Nintendo says?  (Read 2742 times)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 680
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
3DS black screen worse than Nintendo says?
« on: April 05, 2011, 08:42:44 AM »

The exaggerated ďblack screen of deathĒ plaguing Nintendo 3DS units worldwide has surprisingly slipped under the radar. Sure, itís been in the media, and nicknamed by the online community, but Nintendo has managed to silence much of the fallout. As far as I can tell, itís much worse than the Big N would have you believe. Systems constantly crashing mid-game arenít normal and it isn't a minor or rare fault. Itís a serious ballz up, to use the technical term.

"Our recommendations are that if anyone is experiencing any problems with their Nintendo 3DS console, we recommend that in the first instance they download and install the latest system update, now available online,Ē said a Nintendo statement.

It sounded like a simple solution, but it didnít fix anything. Since the update, my Nintendo 3DS has displayed the black error screen three times. That error rate is completely unacceptable. I didnít update my console until Saturday; you do the maths as to how often it occurs.

There doesnít seem to be a single reason for the serious error, which might suggest that Nintendo is just as dumbfounded as we are. Iíve had it happen to me in the Mii Maker, Rayman 3D and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition is also meant to be rampant in producing the error, but thankfully it hasnít struck me there yet.

To make it worse, there are seemingly two variations of the black screen. The most prevalent is an error message (pictured above), but another causes the system to slowly fade to a blank black screen in the middle of a game and lock-up (pictured below). When this happens, both screens go black with no text. The power button becomes redundant and doesnít respond, as it does with the more common error screen, and the only way to restart is to close the system, which shuts it down rather than put it into sleep mode.

ĒBlack screen of deathĒ (BSOD) was the obvious internet meme, as it is consistent with other launch console issues such as the Xbox 360ís red rings of death. The distinct difference between the 360ís RROD and the 3DSís black screen is the end result. The 3DS just requires a restart, whereas the 360 needed to be repaired. As such itís not really ďof deathĒ and more of ďinconvenience,Ē that is, unless you smash your 3DS in a fit of rage after losing hours of unsaved gameplay.

Fortunately, most 3DS games autosave, but that doesnít make it any less of a burden. I lost around 30 minutes of Shadow Wars as I was forced to restart a mission I was literally seconds away from completing. If it happens once, thatís annoying. But three times in one weekend is incomprehensible. Iím not the only person to have such problems. A number of MMGN forum posters have reported the issue, post-system update, while other forums are ablaze with complaints.

That makes it an extremely widespread issue, Nintendo. Itís flabbergasting that a console can be launched with such a catastrophic and common error. It mightnít be quite as bad as RROD, as your system isnít made redundant, but the console constantly crashing is unacceptable. How are you supposed to play a game with the knowledge that it could crash at any moment?

Considering the severity of the issue, Nintendo has gotten off relatively scot-free. Customers seemed to just assume that the update would fix everything, as Nintendo said it would. They also told everyone to call customer service if problems persist. What is Nintendo customer service in Australia going to tell me? Iím suspicious that Nintendo in Japan donít actually know how to fix the problem, let alone someone on the phone in Australia. If they could fix it, the update would have done something. If anything, it might have exacerbated the problem. In the approximate 48 hours before I updated my system, it didnít black screen once. In the subsequent two days, it happened three times.

Some sites have reported that wi-fi is to blame; this might well be true, but thereís no substantial evidence to support it. Furthermore, if it were a firmware issue with wi-fi, that would have been fixed in the magical update that didnít do anything. If it really is wi-fi and Nintendo have located the fault, chances are itís a hardware issue. That would require your 3DS to be sent to Nintendo for repair, which means your console has died, and all of a sudden ďblack screen of deathĒ is appropriate once again.

Of course, it might have nothing to do with wi-fi whatsoever. If Nintendo thought their last update would fix the problem, thereís no way a couple of amateur blogs would have nailed the exact culprit. Perhaps thereís more than one reason that the 3DS produces an error or locks up.

We donít know what causes the black screen of death or if it will affect every unit. Perhaps you will get away with it or maybe it will strike when you least expect it. It might be fixed by an update, or maybe the entire world will need to send their systems in for repair. The whole situation is in shambles. Nintendo donít fill me with confidence with their answers to the game-crippling error and yet somehow have avoided the zealous criticism it deserves.

Itís not acceptable for a system launch, and the lack of solid information on the cause just gives people another reason to avoid buying a 3DS

http://ds.mmgn.com/Articles/3DS-black-screen-worse-than-Ni

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
Re: 3DS black screen worse than Nintendo says?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:17:47 PM »
Well you're only supposed to play them for 15-20 mins anyways right? maybe it's just a built in safety feature ;)  :P

Offline 0xym0r0n

• Founding Father
  • Stepping it up!
  • Showtime Karma: 69
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 11:44:02 PM »
I own a 3DS and I have not run into any problems, waiting on Netflix support (hopefully netflix 3d support) and 3D trailers (movies from what I heard).

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 732
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 03:53:39 PM »
I own a 3DS and I have not run into any problems, waiting on Netflix support (hopefully netflix 3d support) and 3D trailers (movies from what I heard).

No problems here so far either.  Unless you count the fact that it never gets played.  :(

Offline Phoog

• 2011 & 2013 Showtime for Free Fantasy Football Champion
  • All First Team
  • Showtime Karma: 423
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:14:11 AM »
Well you're only supposed to play them for 15-20 mins anyways right? maybe it's just a built in safety feature ;)  :P
:rofl:@ playing for 15-20 min.   Not at my house  :nono: I play so much Im starting to see the real world in 3d  :hm: or has it always been a three dimensional world  :drinks2:
http://www.​lusogamer.co​m/live/tekno​player_v1_re​d/gamercard_​default/Phoo​g.png

Offline Phoog

• 2011 & 2013 Showtime for Free Fantasy Football Champion
  • All First Team
  • Showtime Karma: 423
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:15:45 AM »

No problems here so far either.  Unless you count the fact that it never gets played.  :(
you better step it up!  National StreetPass Day is June 25th and you better get your mii up to snuff :usa:
http://www.​lusogamer.co​m/live/tekno​player_v1_re​d/gamercard_​default/Phoo​g.png

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 732
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 08:37:28 PM »

you better step it up!  National StreetPass Day is June 25th and you better get your mii up to snuff :usa:

My Mii is a killer.  He'll snuff out any and all other Miis at my command.  :caine: :caine: :caine: :caine:

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 619
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 10:43:57 AM »

My Mii is a killer.  He'll snuff out any and all other Miis at my command.  :caine: :caine: :caine: :caine:

except for mine, you wont snuff out mine ses too purrty.  :sok: