Author Topic: A Beginner's Guide To The NGP (Or, If You're Just Joining Us, The PSP2)  (Read 3181 times)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 680
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
Re: A Beginner's Guide To The NGP (Or, If You're Just Joining Us, The PSP2)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 10:42:27 AM »
NGP Battery Life Will Be Comparable To The PSP's

The sight of Sony's new NGP gaming handheld running demos of PlayStation 3 games is both exciting and terrifying for those concerned about the so-called PSP2's battery life. Sony tells Kotaku that we can expect a decent amount of charge.

The battery life target is the same as that of the current PSP 3000 model, Sony exec Shuhei Yoshida told Kotaku in Tokyo after the NGP was revealed. That PSP model gets between four and six hours.

If Sony achieves its target, the NGP would have a battery life that's also comparable to the less powerful 3DS, the next handheld gaming machine from Nintendo. The makers of Mario estimate that their machine will last 3-5 hours with its 3D functionality activated and up to eight hours with it turned off.

A game creator familiar with the NGP development kit told Kotaku that Sony's powerhouse portable is proving to have better battery life than the PSP 3000 on current kits, though readers should note that finished gaming hardware doesn't always run at the exact same specs as development kits. Our source credits the NGP's efficient chips and the fact that its games run off of flash media, as opposed to the discs that spun in most models of the PSP.

The NGP is expected later this year.
http://kotaku.com/5744900/ngp-battery-life-will-be-comparable-to-the-psps

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »

Is Electronic Arts Really Not Making Games For The Next PSP?

There was one glaring omission from the list of developers working on games for Sony's powerful new portable, the NGP.

While the list included developers big and small, from Tecmo Koei to Activision, publishing powerhouse Electronic Arts was nowhere to be seen. Why?

It's not just what we want to know, it also seems to be the question Electronic Arts is asking.

"We are discussing the issue with Sony but have no announcements to make today," Electronic Arts's spokesperson Wendy Spander said. "EA has a great relationship with Sony. We are the number one publisher on PS3."

As Spander points out, Electronic Arts is a huge supporter of the Playstation 3 and one of the largest publishers in the world. EA head John Riccitiello has even talked about his excitement about the device's potential in the past, saying:

"Having something as powerful as a PlayStation 3 in your pocket is a pretty compelling idea."

That's why it seems curious that while rival Activision got time up on the stage during the early morning press conference in Tokyo, Electronic Arts didn't even get a mention. Also curious: EA not simply confirming their support of the device when we asked.

Hopefully things will be sorted out soon and we'll start hearing about some other amazing game series hitting the NGP like Dead Space, Mass Effect and Bulletstorm.

http://kotaku.com/5745041/is-electronic-arts-really-not-making-games-for-the-next-psp

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 10:46:14 AM »

The NGP, Sony's new gaming portable, might seem like a great machine. But there are things that Sony isn't quite ready to talk about. That doesn't mean I didn't ask after I saw the NGP in Tokyo.

This evening, I had a sit down with Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida, who worked very closely with Sony's hardware engineers to create the NGP. We talked a great deal about games and the hardware itself. But with the press conference today lacking many specific details, I followed up.

Price
When I asked about price, Yoshida replied, "We are not talking about price yet, but I hope that when we announce the price, people will say it makes sense."

I asked Yoshida what he thought about the 3DS's US$250 price tag, to which he replied, "The 3DS is pricier than what Nintendo typically launched their hardware for." He said he thought the 3DS was "pretty interesting", adding that it feels like a more powerful DS.

3D
Sony, a champion of 3D, is not bringing 3D to its NGP. Why? "We evaluated the 3DS screens that are available and the costs," Yoshida said. "And there are lots of trade-offs. This [the NGP] is what we want to do."

When pressed further, Yoshida continued, "The portable is a totally different beast. It's still emerging and in a transitional stage. We are developing a platform to last a long time." So Sony, Yoshida said, made a very careful choice about what is important to them. Apparently, that's not putting 3D in a portable.

PlayStation Phone
There are pictures of what's reportedly a PlayStation Phone being taken apart on the internet and videos of people using it. But Sony didn't reveal a PlayStation Phone today. What gives? Where is it?

"I don't know where that's coming from," Yoshida said. "There are lots of cell phones on the internet."

Continuing, he added, "I can say that's not NGP." So that's something separate? Yes, he said: "That's something totally separate."

The current PSP has Skype. But will the NGP? Because if it does, that could render a phone utterly meaningless. Sony was not willing to comment with Yoshida saying, "So, we are working on providing more than games — networked servies on the NGP. And we'll be able to talk more about these services later."

Making Them
Sony had working models available to play tonight. Which would mean that conceivably, Sony could go into production soon and start churning them out for everyone to buy and enjoy. "Hardware takes lots of steps. So the answer is 'no'. No, we cannot manufacture in mass production today or tomorrow. But we can later this year."

No doubt Sony will be able to answer more questions then, too.

http://kotaku.com/5744896/sony-is-not-ready-to-discuss-ngp-price-or-skype-but-portable-3d-is-another-story

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 611
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 04:35:40 PM »
The thing is sexy as hell.. can't wait to get one.. I still have doubts on how it will do in the marketplace however..

Offline Master X

• Founding Father, Video Game Mod
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 603
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 05:48:56 PM »
Damn, Im impressed the graphics look great for a handheld.

I doubt I will buy one but that could change tho.  I like what I have seen so far tho.

Offline mondayshift

• "I'm not a hot asian chick"
  • Founding Father
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 607
    • flickr
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »
yeah... i want one or 2 or 3.
Fool Me Once, Shame on You, Fool Me Twice, I punch your face!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mondayshift/

Offline 0xym0r0n

• Founding Father
  • Stepping it up!
  • Showtime Karma: 69
Anyone that owns the original PSP should WANT and should GET this, I just hope you dont have to take out a mortgage to afford one.

Offline Pakman3000

• Founding Father
  • Showtime's in your blood.
  • Showtime Karma: 406
Wait until final specs are released cuz Sony's track record means cuts will be made and some already have been made!

http://kotaku.com/5806124/has-sonys-ngp-been-gutted-before-release

Offline cuco33

• 2011 CO-Member of the Year
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 368
    • eurokult
Yup. What I read is that the 512mb was cut down to 256mb.

I still think the NGP will be pretty awesome but I'm fine with my PSP1000 fat version w/custom firmware. Mostly play emulators on it on top of the occasional FIFA game. I was hooked on PSP with the 1st PSP God of War game but never got the 2nd game. Def like my PSP over my DS but both suit different types of games. GTA on DS was pretty cool but never tried it on PSP.

NGP I'll have to see in person and check out the stuff if I want to make the plunge. The thing I want more now is the Sony Xperia for exactly the emulator side of things. Just released, $200 w/2yr contract but I already got a droid x so maybe the next version (unless my droid x dies and i have to get a new one)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
LMAO at the name of this thing!   

Pachter: PS Vita “The Dumbest Name Ever”

The NGP’s real name is rumored to be PlayStation Vita, which is otherwise known as (in Latin/Italian) PlayStation Life. While the name may have been misinterpreted for a codename of the NGP before it was revealed, Veta, recent images appeared to seemingly confirm the handheld’s official name as PS Vita. Michael Pachter, however, doesn’t think so highly of it.

Michael Pachter, Research Analyst of Wedbush Securities, recently took to his personal Twitter account to share his thoughts on the name PS Vita. He dislikes the name so much that he even believes that it’s the dumbest name ever.

In a series of tweets regarding the Next Generation Portable’s possible official name, Pachter first slated the device by saying:

I’m beginning to think that the dumber the name, the more likely a device will be successful. PSVita one of the dumber names I’ve heard . .

He then said:

If @GI_AndyMc is right and they pronounce it “Vee-ta”, it is truly the dumbest name ever. Sounds like a vegetable-flavored energy drink

Pachter continued:

When I was in law school, we helped seniors with tax returns under the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program — VITA for short

Finally, the outspoken analyst stated:

to all: yes, I remember La Vita E Bella and La Dolce Vita from the Italian Cinema. Somehow, PSVita doesn’t evoke the same feelings .

Do you echo the same views as Pachter? Is it really that bad? Share your comments below. Also, don’t forget to enter our NGP name guessing competition, which could net you a prize.
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/05/29/pachter-ps-vita-the-dumbest-name-ever/

Offline Isntmenttolast

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 619
    • facebook
really PS Vita? yea that does sound kinda dumb, if thats the actual name its released under i think i going to really laugh.

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
really PS Vita? yea that does sound kinda dumb, if thats the actual name its released under i think i going to really laugh.

Ya well look how well the Wii sold despite it's blatant 5 year old penis implications....

(Of course that too had the power and influence of Nintendo behind it.... not Sony's super famous multibillion selling portables  :C )