Author Topic: Ace Starting Pitcher Gil Meche retires rather than taking pay!  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
Ace Starting Pitcher Gil Meche retires rather than taking pay!
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:31:54 PM »
Ailing Royals starter Gil Meche retires rather than take pay he doesnít believe he deserves

By Phil Rogers / Chicago Tribune
Saturday, January 22, 2011 - Added 10 hours ago

EmailE-mail   PrintablePrint   Comments(6) Comments   LargerSmallerText size  Bookmark and Share Share   Buzz up!

You really can have enough money. Who knew?

Gil Meche, an everyman starting pitcher with an 84-83 record after 10 big-league seasons, made a louder statement with his recent decision to retire than he ever did on the mound. He walked away from the $12 million he was due in the last year of his contract because he didnít think he had enough good pitches left in his ailing right shoulder to justify being the Royalsí highest paid player."

"Iím not really fulfilling what I thought I needed to do when I signed," Meche told reporters. "The Royals have done enough for me."

Meche thought it was unlikely he truly could earn his salary, and knew the Royals no longer were counting on him. So the 32-year-old from Louisiana decided to spend time where he could do the most good and experience the most peace - with his family.

What a refreshingly noble concept.

Unlike in the NFL, baseball contracts are guaranteed. Meche had signed a five-year, $55-million contract with the Royals before the 2007 season - the same giddy time when the Cubs gave Alfonso Soriano his eight-year deal.

The Royals went to the fifth year because he was on the verge of signing a four-year contract with the Cubs, who instead would sign Ted Lilly two days after Meche went off the board.

Meche gave the Royals two good years but his production vanished after he talked manager Trey Hillman into letting him stay in to finish a 132-pitch shutout over the Diamondbacks in June 2009. He still insists he didnít hurt his shoulder in that outing but in his next 18 starts (split over í09 and í10) he went 2-9 with a 7.52 ERA, averaging just more than five innings.

He opted for a move to the bullpen rather than the surgery that might have restored him as a starter. He seemed healthy at the end of 2010 but never regained his confidence.

"Itís just the right thing to do," Meche said of terminating his contract without seeking any compensation. "Iím not trying to look good. ... I didnít want to go through that again. To be the guy making $12 million and doing absolutely nothing to help this team. Not when I can walk away, be with my family."

"Iím not that surprised," Zach Greinke told the Kansas City Starís Bob Dutton of his mentor. "People donít realize it, but most guys really donít play the game because of money. And it drives most guys crazy when theyíre injured and canít earn their money. I know it bothered Gil."

Meche earned about $52 million from the Mariners, who drafted him in the first round out of high school in 1996, and Royals. But still ... do you know anyone who wouldnít trade 7 { months of pain, inconvenience and first-class travel for $12 million?

King of thick skin: It has been clear for a long time that Brian Cashman had the thickest skin in his business - an invaluable trait for a modern general manager - but it was never clearer than when he admitted he pursued former Yankee flop Carl Pavano and advised against giving Rafael Soriano a three-year, $35-million deal to serve as Mariano Riveraís set-up man.

Thereís nothing unusual about a GM disagreeing with his ownership group but itís practically unprecedented to disclose the difference up front. Doug Melvin certainly didnít do it when the Rangers gave Alex Rodriguez a $252-million deal. Nor did Jim Hendry do it with Tribune Co.ís pre-sale spending spree, which included the dreadful Soriano deal.

Yet there was Cashman last week, saying Hal Steinbrenner pulled rank to sign Soriano less than a week after Cashman had said he valued his 2011 first-round draft pick too much to send it to the Rays as Soriano compensation.

"My plan would be patience and waiting," Cashman told reporters after Sorianoís introductory news conference. "They, obviously, acted. Weíre better, thereís no doubt about it. Itís not a dispute over the player whatsoever. . . . Itís all the other stuff wrapped around the deal - the money, allocating closer-type money to an eighth-inning situation, those types of things."
This has been a tough winter for Cashman, who lost free-agent targets Cliff Lee to the Phillies and Carl Crawford to the Red Sox [team stats] and then failed to add a proven starter via trade. Thereís no sign he is on his way out with the Yankees but his contract does end after the season.

Dirty work of rehab: Stephen Strasburg hosted a 5K run for the San Diego State baseball team last weekend. That figures to be his biggest public moment until August, at the least, when he might make some rehab appearances in the minor leagues.

The Nationalsí 22-year-old phenom is on track to make a successful return from the right elbow reconstruction surgery he had last September. But he hasnít started even soft tossing so itís impossible to do more than speculate about the long-term impact of the torn ligament that led to surgery.

Strasburg says heís fine with the need to take thousands of baby steps before attempting to dazzle, as he did in his 14-strikeout debut for the Nationals.

While working toward finishing his college degree, Strasburg has strengthened his already massive legs and has done exercises focused on the back of his shoulder. His goal is to make a few September starts but Opening Day in 2012 is a more realistic timetable for his return.

"I focus on the times where I pitched really, really well," Strasburg said. "I try to remember what I was thinking. "I just canít wait to go there and do it all over again."

The last word: "Heís opting not to play right now, but that might change, it might not. I told him, íDonít Brett Favre us.í You have to be all in and fully dedicated to play. ... I need him, but I donít want him to play if his heartís not in it." - Cashman on starter Andy Pettitte, who hasnít announced his plans for 2011.

___

THE WHISPERS

The Twins breathed a sigh of relief that the Pirates were the only other team to offer Carl Pavano a two-year deal, allowing them to re-sign him and partially salvage a shaky offseason. But catcher Joe Mauerís raise from $12.5 million to $23 million has cut into the teamís depth, with the rebuilt bullpen a major concern. The Twins are suddenly a fragile team, with much invested in successful returns from Justin Morneau (concussion) and Joe Nathan (surgery). ... Infielder Nick Punto is a good signing for the Cardinals. Heís not the most talented playe,r but his max-effort approach makes him another piece the Twins will miss. ... Tom Gorzelanny grew while with the Cubs, thanks largely to time spend with Greg Maddux, and could have a long run with the Nationals. He will be missed if Carlos Zambrano goes back into the tank but GM Jim Hendry made a good deal to get three prospects (especially Double-A outfielder Michael Burgess) for a pitcher who was acquired from the Pirates alongside lefty reliever John Grabow. One of the benefits of the deal was opening a spot to evaluate pitching prospects Casey Coleman, Andrew Cashner, Jeff Samardzija and maybe even Trey McNutt. ... Scott Podsednik, hero of Game 2 in í05, is among the large group of free-agent outfielders still without jobs. ... Scouts from the Yankees and other teams needing starting pitching could spend a lot of time watching the Nationals this spring. Gorzelanny joins an eight-man competition in which perhaps only Jordan Zimmermann and Yunesky Maya are assured spots. John Lannan, Livan Hernandez, Jason Marquis, Ross Detwiler and Chien-Ming Wang are all expected to go to Florida healthy and ready to pitch in the majors. ... Just a guess, but donít be surprised if Rafael Soriano opts out of his Yankees deal to become the Metsí closer in 2012, replacing Francisco Rodriguez. ... Joe Crede, who could have been the MVP of the 2005 World Series, hopes to play in 2011 after sitting out 2010 while recovering from his third back surgery. The Rockies, who signed him to a minor league contract, seem set with the left-handed-hitting Ian Stewart at third base but Crede could make things interesting with a strong spring. ... The Royals say they donít plan to make any last-minute additions with the $12 million they picked up from Gil Mecheís unexpected retirement.
(c) 2011, Chicago Tribune. Visit the Chicago Tribune on the Internet at http://www.chicagotribune.com/. Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view/20110122ailing_royals_starter_gil_meche_retires_rather_than_take_pay_he_doesnt_believe_he_deserves/srvc=home&position=recent

:o :o :o :o THAT!!! Ladies and gentleman is a true baseball player!

How isn't this spreading like Brett Favre news!?!?!?

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 732
Re: Ace Starting Pitcher Gil Meche retires rather than taking pay!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 05:48:21 AM »
Classy move Gil.  And as Caine said, why doesn't the media spread this kind of news out more often?

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 680
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 07:30:06 AM »
 yep... good for this guy.    that's awesome of him.    Karma will do this guy great throughout his life.

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 12:59:35 PM »
Classy move Gil.  And as Caine said, why doesn't the media spread this kind of news out more often?
Honestly from further study it looks like it may not have spread simply because Meche didn't want it to. He obviously didn't do this to look good, he did this because he felt like it was the right thing to do, and he doesn't feel as though there is anything special about that. You gotta admit, doing the right thing shouldn't be so special...

Offline itputdalotion0n

• Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 554
  • REAL TALK, Cause FAKE TALK just wont do.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:17:02 AM »

Because Gil Meche has never been a Ace hes always been a #3 and at best #2 starter
Let me hit you with some REAL TALK

Record Vs Vapor 2-0 with the Fantasy Panthers, 1-0 With the gutted Chiefs.

Master_X: Yeah, I like Kidd, my team back in the day was the Kings when he played with bibby and webber

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:19:47 AM »

Because Gil Meche has never been a Ace hes always been a #3 and at best #2 starter
coulda sworn he was named ace before greinke blew the fuck up...

Offline itputdalotion0n

• Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 554
  • REAL TALK, Cause FAKE TALK just wont do.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 04:26:02 AM »

coulda sworn he was named ace before greinke blew the fuck up...

yes but the term Ace is to loosely thrown around just because your named the #1 doesnt mean your an Ace and ive had plenty of time watching him as a mariners fan he was with us for years. He had some good years but was never an Ace.

People like
Lincecum
Felix
Halladay
Sabathia
Lee

These are Aces and some teams have multiple Aces and some have none aka Phils Lee and Halladay, Giants with Cain and Lincecum. And then you have the Royals who had a Ace in Greinke but now dont have one at all.
Let me hit you with some REAL TALK

Record Vs Vapor 2-0 with the Fantasy Panthers, 1-0 With the gutted Chiefs.

Master_X: Yeah, I like Kidd, my team back in the day was the Kings when he played with bibby and webber

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 04:28:22 AM »
I understand fully. And yeah being the #1 SP for KC is like being the #1 SP for any AA team   ;)