Author Topic: New TV for the cucster  (Read 9499 times)

Offline cuco33

• 2011 CO-Member of the Year
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 367
    • eurokult
New TV for the cucster
« on: December 15, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »
Yeah... so on top of being in the market for new wheel (fanatec porsche 911 gt2) and new PC (custom MAINGEAR), I also am looking into a bigger TV. The living room has a nice entertainment stand with an older Samsung CRT HDTV (720p/1080i). It was fine in my old place but the new one it stands out like a soar thumb. It's way too small and I want MOAR!!!!! The stand can hold 45" max width. Originally I was looking at a 40-42".
Don't care much for 3D, it hasn't sold me yet and I doubt it ever will. Don't care much for audio since I have my Onkyo/Paradigm/HSU 5.1 setup for that so really am looking for the best picture that will fit.

Someone on another board recommended the Panasonic TC-P46G25, which is funny because it's a 46" plazma with 44.6" wide dimension, and it JUST fits!! Looking at reviews now seems very positive with great picture, great blacks, etc. It'll be used mainly for gaming and movie/tv watching (duh, it's a tv!)

Anyone have any recommendations?

Offline Isntmenttolast

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 614
    • facebook
Re: New TV for the cucster
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 03:07:09 PM »
when i get home ill look at the specs of mine, i love mine its never done us wrong cost us 2500 bucks but im pretty sure its less the 1k now.

Offline nmcmahan52

• Founding Father
  • Respected Member
  • Showtime Karma: 517
    • project blu, where i attempt to review games
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:58:02 PM »
panasonic makes some of the best plasmas around, they're going to give you the deepest blacks

i have an lcd but still want a plasma

Offline cuco33

• eurokult
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 02:25:27 PM »
Yeah I've been reading that Panasonic's Plasmas are top notch. I'm debating between the model I was told to go with or a new Samsung LED that I saw at Costco... then if I go to Best Buy, I might have even more options lol
decisions decisions...

Told the lady by end of January I'd like the TV

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »
now I'm not in the know, so maybe they've advanced a bit since I last checked, but plasma's tend to be useful as space heaters as well, burn electricity like a mofo, and have burn in problems, especially with HUD's from video games. I'm sure these problems have been looked into by now and advanced though, just something to be wary about/ look into. Other than that, yeah my buddies 720p plasma from a couple years ago is still one of the best pictures I've ever seen, beautiful blacks/colors! (That's right, I said 720p!)

Offline cuco33

• eurokult
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 02:33:19 PM »
I heard the burn in issues with tvs, especially plasmas, is a thing of the past. The rest though could be true

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »
I heard the burn in issues with tvs, especially plasmas, is a thing of the past. The rest though could be true
well I've heard they've done a lot to prevent draining electricity and the massive amounts of heat output. So maybe the issues as hand are resolved. Just "buyer beware" ya know? It sucks to spend that kinda money and find out there was a better option ya know?

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 02:38:49 PM »
well I've heard they've done a lot to prevent draining electricity and the massive amounts of heat output. So maybe the issues as hand are resolved. Just "buyer beware" ya know? It sucks to spend that kinda money and find out there was a better option ya know?

Oh and the heat output thing wouldn't necessarily be a negative if I didn't live in so cal, it was awesome in the winter! (Just god awful in the summer)

Offline Master X

• Founding Father, Video Game Mod
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 601
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 02:52:03 PM »
I gotta panasonic tc42c1 and I love it.

Offline cuco33

• eurokult
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 11:18:02 AM »

Definitely bro, it's why I like to take my time when I make a big purchase like this. If it were a $20 item, I wouldn't be caring much but a g note or more... different story

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »

Definitely bro, it's why I like to take my time when I make a big purchase like this. If it were a $20 item, I wouldn't be caring much but a g note or more... different story
word!

Offline mondayshift

• "I'm not a hot asian chick"
  • Founding Father
  • Showtime Karma: 605
    • flickr
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 07:38:01 AM »
i love shopping for TV's even with all the headaches it brings.
Fool Me Once, Shame on You, Fool Me Twice, I punch your face!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mondayshift/

Offline cuco33

• eurokult
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 07:50:01 AM »
Sometimes it can be fun and I think the best part is when you finally have it all hooked up in the home. Since super bowl is around the corner, there's been some deals all over. I'm doing some e-shopping right now but if a good deal pops up on one of the TVs I have my eye on, I'll be making the plunge  :P

Offline Isntmenttolast

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 614
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 09:37:43 AM »
try sams club they tend to have a bunch too,   evidently now the hubbys looking for another tv,  of course bigger then the one we have in the living room which means ill get the big one in the bedroom,

Offline cuco33

• eurokult
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 02:56:42 PM »
Neighbor downstairs has a sams club membership, i have Costco. Costco had a nice Sammy LED but I missed out on the sale ($200+ off!). I keep reading that plasma is still the way to go but back lit LED tvs are just as good. Remember when TVs were easy to shop for and your option was SIZE and BRAND only!?