Author Topic: Google feels threatened by WP7, announces update for Android  (Read 1687 times)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 680
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Google feels threatened by WP7, announces update for Android
« on: December 08, 2010, 06:25:18 PM »

Google yesterday released the SDK for version 2.3 of the Android OS (AKA Gingerbread). There are a number of new features offered for both developers and end-users including basic UI and speed improvements, better power management, Near-field communications, and support for SIP (voice and video chat).

Increased support for gaming is one area that Gingerbread has received a lot of attention recently, in part due to the oft-rumored PSP phone. Android 2.3 does a number of very geeky things in the background to increase performance, as well as allowing developers access to additional sensor events. Additionally, new video drivers and native graphics management will give Gingerbread applications improved graphics quality.

For all of the flak that Microsoft has received over their re-entry into the Mobile segment with Windows Phone 7, it’s worth noting that Xbox live is currently the most complete mobile gaming platform on the market. No other device on the planet offers the same combination of graphics, performance, communication technologies, and social gaming that can be found on a Windows Phone. Google and Apple are only recently turning their focus towards gaming with Apple’s Game Center and increased features for developers on both iOS and Android, but no other platform can compete fully right now with Xbox live on Windows Phone 7.

http://www.wpcentral.com/google-feels-threatened-wp7-announces-update-android

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 732
Re: Google feels threatened by WP7, announces update for Android
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 06:26:35 AM »
Interesting.  I got an update yesterday morning.  But I don't think it was this one.  My shit says version 2.2.1   ???

On another note, I'd love to be playing XBL games on my phone.  Hmmmm......

Offline Isntmenttolast

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 619
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »
Mine still says 2.1 update-1. :( no love for my phone.

Offline chaz_uk

• Founding Father, Gadget Moderator
  • Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 511
    • My Google+ Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 07:44:02 AM »
A very Windows Phone slanted story from WPCentral. ;) I believe the rumoured release date of Gingerbread has been December for quite some time (before wP7's release date).

I'm not sure I agree with the statement about WP7's graphics performance either as all Windows Phone 7 phones use the old generation Qualcomm QSD8x50 Snapdragon CPU and Adreno 200 GPU for graphics which have been bested by Qualcomm themselves.

Source
Although Adreno 200 performs quite decently, it has been grossly outperformed by the likes of PowerVR SGX540, which is included as part of Hummingbird chipset used by Samaung's Galaxy S series phones. To a lesser extent, it is also outperformed by PowerVR SGX530, which is used by the phones such as Droid X, Droid 2 and iPhone 4.

The graphics performance of all WP7 handsets are easily beaten by the T-Mobile G2, Desire HD/Z iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and the Galaxy-S/Nexus-S.
Pc gaming, tablet owning, smart phoning gadget user.