Poll

What do you think of these rules?

I like em!  Let's do it!
8 (50%)
Not liking them at all... Different rules please.
0 (0%)
I like them.. but maybe a few changes here and there.(please tell us what should change)
8 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Official Rules of the Showtime for Free, Madden League.  (Read 15384 times)

Offline bad_intel

• All Star
  • Showtime Karma: 41
Re: Official Rules of the Showtime for Free, Madden League.
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 11:07:53 PM »
Rules seem fine.  I think 2 PT conversion should also be allowed when kicking will put you ahead by 5 points an going for 2 will put u ahead by 6 or wil bring you within 4.  Makes kicking FGs important.

Onething that might help the new people is something about players not doing the QB run straight back and then throw the ball.  Its hard to defend if you are a good player near impossibe if you are new.

Offline COLTS and BOLTS

• Showtime Madden Commish
  • Showtime Trooper
  • Showtime Karma: 491
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 08:49:37 AM »
I'm down for whatever everyone else decides.  If somebody keeps going for it on 4th down and it bugs you, stop them.  Same thing for running up scores, if you can't stop them...then you need to try something different.

Rules seem fine.  I think 2 PT conversion should also be allowed when kicking will put you ahead by 5 points an going for 2 will put u ahead by 6 or wil bring you within 4.  Makes kicking FGs important.

Onething that might help the new people is something about players not doing the QB run straight back and then throw the ball.  Its hard to defend if you are a good player near impossibe if you are new.

The 4th down rule is really to protect the players who don't have as much experience and to keep this as a sim style league. Teams in the NFL don't go for every 4th down they think they could convert. I understand that this means having to punt on something that says 4th and inches, but it keeps the game close and makes defense actually important.

The running up the score rule is only for games against the computer (again assuming we keep the prizes for most points scored and least points allowed). Score as much as you want against a person, but don't rub it in to someone you may be crushing just because you can. Not looking to have anybody playing like the 2007 Patriots and scoring TDs in the 4th quarter up 20 already haha.

I was trying to say that the situation you described for 2 point conversions is fine with me. Just don't want people pretending to go for extra points and actually faking a fg when there is no reason to do it.

Offline Balkino66

• 2014-15 2015-16 Back to back, Showtime For Free Fantasy Football Champion
  • SfF Madden Champion Season 1 & SfF 2013 NFL Pick em Champion
  • Respected Member
  • Showtime Karma: 528
  • **DA U**
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 11:12:44 AM »
2 point conversions should be allowed any time in the game, I fake about 80% of the time or i'll run goal line to run it in.

Xbox 360
GT: xxxBalkino66xxx
CHECK MY PROFILE OUT!!
#1 ON THE SITE

Offline Szabada

• 2011 Co-Member of the Year
  • Showtime for Free Hero
  • Showtime Karma: 569
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 11:47:48 AM »
I remember back in the day with one of the older madden versions, my little brother would never punt or kick.  So I'd have to run a nickel D or something just in case he'd fake it.  But I'd just grab a safety or corner and run him way back to return the punt.  Can you draw up your own plays in Madden nowadays?  I know some other football games you could.  It would be cool to make a fake punt defense that wasn't so traditional. 

Offline eaglekilla

• Tainted
  • Showtime Karma: 6
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 01:47:36 PM »
Voltan, and or Colts and Bolts... you guys have the mod power to edit this here post of mine, and update it with the rules of the league.   i will sticky this thread now.

Rules added:

- In order to go for it on 4th down:
*Can do it 2 times anywhere.
*Less than 4th and 3 in opponents 35-50 (midfield no man's land) doesn't count against your four times.
*If in the 4th quarter you are losing.

I agree with all the rules.
However, I think the 2nd line in this rule is supposed to read "doesn't count against your two times"

Also, the league benefits more from this rule (i.e. keeping people from getting frustrated and leaving vs. showboating and putting up more points for no reason).  But I'm down for whatever the league decides - just want to know if I have to use a goal line formation D vs. someone running a fake punt run on 4th and 2 from their 40 yard line or something...

Offline WSBroncos

• Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 180
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 02:16:48 PM »
2 point conversions should be allowed any time in the game, I fake about 80% of the time or i'll run goal line to run it in.

which is exactly what we DONT want in this league.
Denver Broncos' Lineup:
O: 99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99
D: 99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99,99
Fear Our D!

Offline Isntmenttolast

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 614
    • facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 02:30:16 PM »
Yea I kinda don't wanna play any one who does that while they are stopping my ass. I might end up launching a controller.

Offline COLTS and BOLTS

• Showtime Trooper
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 11:16:05 PM »

This is the kind of play that these rules are supposed to stop from happening. This is going to be a sim style league in order to maximize the enjoyment that everybody can get out of these leagues. They will be enforced by VOLTAN and I with very very very rare exceptions.

I agree with all the rules.
However, I think the 2nd line in this rule is supposed to read "doesn't count against your two times"

Also, the league benefits more from this rule (i.e. keeping people from getting frustrated and leaving vs. showboating and putting up more points for no reason).  But I'm down for whatever the league decides - just want to know if I have to use a goal line formation D vs. someone running a fake punt run on 4th and 2 from their 40 yard line or something...

Thanks for catching that for me, I'll fix it right now.

Yea I kinda don't wanna play any one who does that while they are stopping my ass. I might end up launching a controller.

Don't worry, we are working to make sure that the league is fun for everybody, which is why the rules are the way they are. The only fun football is realistic football. Anybody who thinks they are going to be able to play in this league by playing totally unrealistic won't be in the league very long.

Offline Balkino66

• 2014-15 2015-16 Back to back, Showtime For Free Fantasy Football Champion
  • SfF Madden Champion Season 1 & SfF 2013 NFL Pick em Champion
  • Respected Member
  • Showtime Karma: 528
  • **DA U**
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 11:53:03 AM »
Hurry up offense*.............
Are we allowed to do it??? 

Just asking everything now before the league starts soon

Xbox 360
GT: xxxBalkino66xxx
CHECK MY PROFILE OUT!!
#1 ON THE SITE

Offline COLTS and BOLTS

• Showtime Trooper
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 12:34:59 PM »
Hurry up offense*.............
Are we allowed to do it??? 

Just asking everything now before the league starts soon

Yeah, that's fine.

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
    • facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 01:43:10 PM »
how bout slow down the other team? ok im sure no but i figured id ask because well yea,

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 03:18:56 PM »
slow down the other team?

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
    • facebook
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 08:01:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure its not possible. I wish it was though.

Offline nmcmahan52

• Founding Father
  • Respected Member
  • Showtime Karma: 517
    • project blu, where i attempt to review games
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 05:04:18 AM »
so i'm assuming this 35pt cap is if the game is a blowout only?  doesn't seem like it'll be a big deal since most teams are users but put some clarity on that

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 06:44:01 AM »
ya.. make first post of this thread with all the official rules of this league complete and all that jazz.       it's getting good!  can't wait!  :D