Author Topic: Novelist Anne Rice says she's leaving Christianity  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Isntmenttolast

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 614
    • facebook
Novelist Anne Rice says she's leaving Christianity
« on: July 29, 2010, 08:32:21 PM »

NEW YORK Anne Rice has had a religious conversion: She's no longer a Christian.

"In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control," the author wrote Wednesday on her Facebook page. "In the name of ... Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen."

Rice, 68, is best known for "Interview With a Vampire" and other gothic novels. Raised as a Catholic, she had rejected the church early in her life but renewed her faith in recent years and in 2008 released the memoir "Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession."

In a telephone interview Thursday, Rice said she had been having doubts for the past two to three years. She was troubled by the child abuse scandals in the church, and the church's defensive reaction, and by the ex-communication of Sister Margaret McBride, a nun and hospital administrator who had approved an abortion for a woman whose life was in danger.

"I believed for a long time that the differences, the quarrels among Christians didn't matter a lot for the individual, that you live your life and stay out of it. But then I began to realize that it wasn't an easy thing to do," said Rice, speaking from her home near Palm Springs, Calif. "I came to the conclusion that if I didn't make this declaration, I was going to lose my mind."

Rice said she is a Democrat who supports the health care legislation signed into law by President Barack Obama and believes gay marriage inevitably will be permitted throughout the country. Although no longer part of any denomination, she remains a believer and continues to read theology and post Biblical passages on her Facebook page. She has no immediate plans to write about her leaving the church and will continue with her metaphysical fiction series, "Songs of the Seraphim."

Rice will not be taking up vampires again, but she said she is a big fan of the HBO series "True Blood," enjoyed the first two "Twilight" movies (she has yet to read any of the Stephenie Meyer novels) and is interested in seeing her most famous character, the vampire Lestat de Lioncourt, return to the screen.

"We're in talks about it," she said. "But then we've always been in talks about it. Hope springs eternal in California."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100730/ap_en_ot/us_books_anne_rice

Offline mondayshift

• "I'm not a hot asian chick"
  • Founding Father
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 605
    • flickr
Re: Novelist Anne Rice says she's leaving Christianity
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 09:31:45 AM »
shes a believer in christ, but don't call her a christian. well maybe like some one that believes in buddhist teachings but not really buddhist?
Fool Me Once, Shame on You, Fool Me Twice, I punch your face!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mondayshift/

Offline Isntmenttolast

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 614
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 10:10:17 AM »
yea sounds kinda liek an oxy moron doesnt it. i just want her to go back to iwtv days and be all grrr again. is that so much to ask?

Offline SadisticKeith

• Learn to Play Moderator
  • Founding Father
  • In the Showtime for Free, Wolfpack.
  • Showtime Karma: 543
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 04:00:31 PM »
I can see where she is coming from. I think the church has corrupted Christianity to the point that I despise the word myself. They have taken the teachings of Christ and molded them to fit their own agendas all throughout history. I now consider myself an atheist but while I was still a "believer" I denounced the term Christianity myself as I have felt that it moved away from the teachings of Christ and has become more of an insult to his name than a religion.
This my BOOMSTICK!

"Oh, that's just what we call 'pillow talk' baby, that's all"

Ash

Offline Szabada

• 2011 Co-Member of the Year
  • Showtime for Free Hero
  • Showtime Karma: 569
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:45:24 PM »
The way I see it, Religion is just like politics.  Religion wants to rule everyone and everything and always has been, and always will be corrupt.  Simple as that.  I believe in what I believe in, doesn't matter.  But that doesn't mean that I'm going to agree/believe in everything of whatever religion that falls into.  It shouldn't have to be black and white. 

Offline SadisticKeith

• Learn to Play Moderator
  • Founding Father
  • In the Showtime for Free, Wolfpack.
  • Showtime Karma: 543
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 08:08:35 PM »
The way I see it, Religion is just like politics.  Religion wants to rule everyone and everything and always has been, and always will be corrupt.  Simple as that.  I believe in what I believe in, doesn't matter.  But that doesn't mean that I'm going to agree/believe in everything of whatever religion that falls into.  It shouldn't have to be black and white. 

No it shouldn't considering we are all in for a big surprise when we die anyway. And what does it matter if Christ was devine or not? These idiots; I thought the message was what was important. I dunno maybe I am just ignorant...  ;?
This my BOOMSTICK!

"Oh, that's just what we call 'pillow talk' baby, that's all"

Ash