Author Topic: Microsoft to kill off Kin messaging phones  (Read 1418 times)

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 732
Microsoft to kill off Kin messaging phones
« on: June 30, 2010, 06:53:33 PM »
Microsoft to kill off Kin messaging phones

In a stunningly swift about-face, Microsoft has reportedly decided to stick a fork in its youth-oriented Kin messaging phones, not even two months after the handsets went on sale and just two days after Verizon slashed prices on the devices.

Microsoft will cease development on the phones, instead focusing its energies on its upcoming Windows Phone 7 handsets, according to CNET's Ina Fried, who adds that Microsoft has nixed the Kin's planned debut in Europe.

In a statement to CNET, Microsoft confirmed that the development team behind the Kin will be folded into the Windows Phone 7 group. That said, Microsoft will "continue to work with Verizon in the U.S. to sell current Kin phones."

Rumors have been swirling for weeks that the Kin One and Kin Two, a pair of QWERTY slider phones aimed at young, social-networking-savvy mobile users, had seen disastrously low sales, with some estimates as low as a mere 500 units.

Microsoft hasn't given out precise sales figures for the two Kins, but on Monday, Verizon Wireless slashed the two-year contract price of the formerly $99 Kin Two in half, while the Kin One saw a 40 percent price cut, to just $29 with service.

Reportedly in development for years, the two touchscreen sliders went on sale in early May, only to be greeted by middling to poor reviews.

In my own hands-on with the Kin One, I liked its cleverly designed stream of social networking updates, dubbed the Kin Loop, as well as the Kin Studio, a private Web page that records a minute-to-minute diary of all your Kin activity. But performance for the Kin was sluggish, in my opinion, and even worse, the phones lacked an app store or even a mapping app.

The iffy reviews plus the original $99 and $49 two-year-contract price points spelled trouble from the get-go, and now Microsoft is left with another high-profile failure in the mobile market, just as Apple's iPhone and Google's Android phones appear to be surging.

Microsoft still has at least one more trick up its sleeve, as far as wireless is concerned: The first Windows Phone 7 handsets are due this fall, and from what we saw at a preview event back in February, the reboot of Microsoft's touchscreen OS looks both powerful and promising.

After this latest setback, though, Microsoft had better hope for a fast start with its revamped mobile OS, or risk being left in the mobile dust for good.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2982

Offline Isntmenttolast

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 619
    • facebook
Re: Microsoft to kill off Kin messaging phones
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 09:02:39 PM »
oooo that must suck if some one had just gotten one last month. glad i cant get one of those on my plan.