Author Topic: 360 Slim  (Read 11712 times)

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 610
    • Video Game Rumors
360 Slim
« on: June 13, 2010, 05:15:08 PM »
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:12:09 PM by miDnIghtEr20C »

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Re: 360 Slim
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
that does look awesome.    i will buy a new 360, and trade my old one in.     

Offline Balkino66

• 2014-15 2015-16 Back to back, Showtime For Free Fantasy Football Champion
  • SfF Madden Champion Season 1 & SfF 2013 NFL Pick em Champion
  • Respected Member
  • Showtime Karma: 528
  • **DA U**
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 05:22:20 PM »
wow thats so cool... i'd trade for it

Xbox 360
GT: xxxBalkino66xxx
CHECK MY PROFILE OUT!!
#1 ON THE SITE

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 05:23:52 PM »
It appears, going by some advertisements popping up online just before E3 kicks off, that Microsoft plans to unveil a new model of the Xbox 360. What, then, does this new console bring to the table?

For starters, as you can see, the most immediate difference is in the look of the machine. Gone are the smooth lines of the current model, replaced by something that looks sharp, and angry. It's definitely not the path I thought Microsoft would take in trying to make the Xbox 360 more "family focused", and I'm not a fan of its "PC case mod" design.

Advertisements say that, in terms of storage, this new Xbox has a 250GB hard drive. A good amount, but there are already 360s available with that capacity, so it's hardly a game-changer.

A more promising new feature is the inclusion of a built-in wi-fi adapter, something gamers have been crying out for since the original Xbox 360 does not include one and Microsoft's add-on device is priced extortionately.

The original rumours, some of which took to calling this the "Xbox 360 Slim", everyone assuming that becase the PlayStation 3's second model got smaller that Microsoft would follow suit. But looking at the size of this console's disc tray and power button (itself newly-designed), it doesn't appear to be significantly smaller than the existing Xbox 360. A little thinner, perhaps, but nothing drastic.

Assuming that the advertisements are 100% legitimate (and Microsoft obviously isn't going to clarify this ahead of its E3 press conference), that's all the stuff we know. So what can we assume?

Well, we can assume it's a new console designed with two things in mind: to cut production costs and give the Xbox 360 a mid-life facelift to coincide with the launch of Project Natal and a fresh new image for Microsoft's game machine.

While this means it'll likely have the same level of performance as existing Xbox 360s (same horsepower, same memory, etc), you'd think it will also have an all-new internal design (like, say, this one, spotted a few months back), utilising smaller, more efficient chips and better heat management. It would be great if it was also quieter.

This would in turn lead to a price cut on the console, perhaps down to the $199 mark of the existing Arcade model, while "older" Xbox 360s would presumably go on sale to clear out old stock. A cheaper price point would certainly help new consumers deal with the sticker shock of having to buy an Xbox 360 and Project Natal to get in on the next big thing.

The only pictures we've got so far of this supposed refresh don't seem to show anything else; or at least nothing else drastic, like Project Natal somehow being built into the console. The one minor thing I can see is that there doesn't appear to be any USB ports on the front of the console, which if correct would be a pain for anyone that plays Rock Band regularly.

There are two final things I'd like to know: one, whether the Xbox 360 controller has seen a redesign as well; it was built to complement the curves of the original Xbox 360 design, so if the new 360 is sharp and angry, will a new controller follow suit? I hope not. I like the current control pads just the way they are.

Secondly, the last few times we've seen Project Natal, it was white. Maybe this new Xbox 360 will be available in two colours?

One last thing before we get too carried away, remember: this isn't confirmed. And likely won't be until Microsoft's E3 press conference.
http://kotaku.com/5562412/so-whats-inside-the-new-xbox-360

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 07:48:40 PM »
where was that hint dropped.. i missed it.    i like when he does that.  :)

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 02:01:49 AM »
Looks much more similar to the old xbox. It's pretty, not that I think the current system isn't... If it were to lack sufficient USB slots and/or USB slots in the front that'd kinda blow... Be far more interested if/when this is confirmed and what the final specs are.

Offline Isntmenttolast

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 614
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 06:09:51 AM »
really? i guess i better start saving money to prepare for this new one, maybe they wont make it? oh well,  it look kinda cute, not sure though.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 07:41:40 AM »
amazing how the PS3 fanboys don't like anything about the way this new one looks.       incredible isn't it?   HDD is up in arms about it.    their fanboys for some reason are calling this a slim?   or this was supposed to be a slim?       

where did MS come out and say they were coming out with a slim?

Offline VOLTAN

• Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 729
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 08:28:03 AM »
Looks pretty sleek.  I still have 10 months left on my Gamestop swap out warranty.  Now I know what I'll be doing with it. :)

Offline chaz_uk

• Founding Father, Gadget Moderator
  • Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 511
    • My Google+ Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 12:00:51 PM »
Love the new design. Looks mean!

I always thought the original 360 looked almost like something like Apple would make but the new 360 looks like something that shouldn't be fucked around.
Pc gaming, tablet owning, smart phoning gadget user.

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 12:05:46 PM »
apparently this has been confirmed, along with wifi and a new controller with a dpad that actually works. I wouldn't want to put words in anyones mouth though ;) (and I apologize for no link, so ya take this at face value until research proves itself)

Offline Isntmenttolast

• Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 614
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
do we know if its going to be an internal hdd??? or one like what it has now?

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 01:49:35 PM »
do we know if its going to be an internal hdd??? or one like what it has now?

internal, not interchangeable with the old HDD's and it would appear as though they are of specific design as to not be interchangeable with non MS HDDs.... lame...

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 03:13:30 PM »

Microsoft unveiled its smaller, sleeker Xbox 360 design, packing a 250GB hard drive and built-in wireless-n. Microsoft's Don Mattrick said it will be in stores by the end of the week, and will still cost $299.
http://kotaku.com/5563154/new-xbox-360-shipping-today-costs-299

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 03:20:26 PM »

These are the specs for the new Xbox 360, which include a "custom Kinect port," a new system fan that's "as quiet as a PS3," according to Microsoft, and some other noteworthy changes, like the official death of Memory Units.

* Touch Sensitive Buttons - turn the Xbox 360 on or off and eject a disc with the swipe of a finger
    * Whisper Quiet - Whether you're playing a DVD disc or from the hard drive or navigating the dashboard, with the all-new and much quieter Xbox 360, the only noise you'll hear is your own laughing, cheering and playing
    * Wi-Fi - Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi for fast, easy connection to your friends and entertainment on Xbox LIVE.
    * Hard Drive - 250GB internal, swappable hard drive for even more storage. To access, remove the bottom panel by pushing the small tab toward the front of the console.
    * Kinect-ready - Custom Kinect port on the back of the console that directly hooks up to the Kinect sensor for controller-free fun.
    * USB Slots - Five USB ports, three in the back and two in the front.
    * Power Supply - Smaller and more efficient. Xbox 360 250GB and Xbox 360 Original power supplies are not interchangeable.
    * Wireless Controller - The award-winning Xbox 360 Wireless Controller matches the console in all black with color-matched thumbsticks and directional pad with a touch of gloss and chrome to complete the look.
    * Backward Compatible - Your favorite accessories and games will work with Xbox 360 250GB. Xbox 360 external hard drives and Memory Units are not compatible.

http://kotaku.com/5563225/new-xbox-360-specs