Author Topic: The Day The PSN Stood Still  (Read 34944 times)

Offline Pakman3000

• Founding Father
  • Showtime's in your blood.
  • Showtime Karma: 405
The Day The PSN Stood Still
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:10:02 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5482328/ps3s-suffering-from-global-network-lockdown

Played MAG and HR earlier and kept my box off since then. The net is abaze!

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Re: The Day The PSN Stood Still
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:17:15 PM »
lol.. yep.. brocktoon and myself are on COD right now,.. and he was talking how he couldn't get on MLB the show.. and having problems..   i was on too.. i couldn't sign in.

Offline nmcmahan52

• Founding Father
  • Respected Member
  • Showtime Karma: 517
    • project blu, where i attempt to review games
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
love the thread title

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 08:31:35 PM »
wow.. this is a huge problem... no wonder brock couldn't play MLB the show...

wow.. big problem.

All around the world, PlayStation 3 consoles simply aren't working like they're supposed to, with a PlayStation Network error preventing people from not just going online, but from playing some PS3 games offline as well.

From Europe to the Americas to, well, my house in Australia, users (mostly of older "Fat" consoles, those released before 2009's "PS3 Slim") are complaining that upon booting their consoles up, they're unable to sign into their accounts, check their trophies, use dynamic themes or access the PlayStation Network. That's fine, Sony say there are PSN connection problems, and that they are "looking into it".

Problem is, the error does more than just prevent you from going online. It prevents you from playing certain games offline as well. Even for some consoles that aren't connected to the internet, like debug units. The screen above is what I was greeted with on a retail console when attempting to play Heavy Rain, and pressing out of it simply reboots the PS3, returning you to the main menu screen. It's the same story for other games that feature dynamic trophy support.

Sony say "stay tuned" for updates on the problem. In turn, we've emailed Sony for comment and will update if we hear anything more.

While theories abound that this has something to do with the calendar on older PS3s (some users are reporting their date/time settings have been reset), bear in mind Sony has redesigned its PlayStation website over the weekend, so it could be the result of some tinkering under the hood for the PlayStation Network. Then again, if consoles not connected to the PSN are also affected, it could be something else. Who knows!

Whatever it is, though, you have to wonder at the design process that turns a network outage into something stopping you from playing an offline, singleplayer title.

UPDATE - Sony has updated on an update, saying "We're narrowing down the issue and continue to work to restore service to all. Updates as soon as we have them."

UPDATE 2 - A mass story-telling session on internet gaming forum NeoGAF points towards the issue potentially being related to a calendar bug in older PlayStation 3 consoles, not the PlayStation Network. Bear in mind this is mob science, however, and is by no means official confirmation on the cause of the problem.

Offline cuco33

• 2011 CO-Member of the Year
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 367
    • eurokult
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:31:54 PM »
love the thread title

as do I

Just tried to play FIFA10 offline... I can't even do that cuz the 'trophies don't sync'
Sheesh this reminds me of not being able to play FORZA 2 cuz I didn't transfer the license to my other 360 and my net was down  >:(

Offline Onslaught

• Founding Father
  • Respected Member
  • Showtime Karma: 450
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 08:34:16 PM »
It's bad. Hopefully, the worst case scenario is that the calendar will revert back to its normal self tomorrow after the supposed "Feb 29th" is over. Apparently, the PS3 thinks it's February 29th (last year there was), but it isn't, and something is conflicting it, therefore, the PS3 doesn't know what day it is, goes back to 12/31/1999, therefore, DLC locks up and trophies can't sync right, and the system is down.

Offline cuco33

• 2011 CO-Member of the Year
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 367
    • eurokult
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 08:39:15 PM »
Holy shit! Y2K really existed!!!

I just wanna play FIFA right now

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 08:41:07 PM »
It's bad. Hopefully, the worst case scenario is that the calendar will revert back to its normal self tomorrow after the supposed "Feb 29th" is over. Apparently, the PS3 thinks it's February 29th (last year there was), but it isn't, and something is conflicting it, therefore, the PS3 doesn't know what day it is, goes back to 12/31/1999, therefore, DLC locks up and trophies can't sync right, and the system is down.
is this for real?  damn... y2k FTW! 

just really weird people can't play the games on SP right now.

Offline Onslaught

• Founding Father
  • Respected Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 08:43:19 PM »
is this for real?  damn... y2k FTW! 

just really weird people can't play the games on SP right now.

Well this is what we think. It makes sense given what we have.

The problem with those who can't play certain single player games is that some games load up trophies prior to the game being started, and for whatever oversight by Sony/developers, if it can't load up the trophies, it'll boot you back out to the XMB. Some games work, notably ones that don't have trophies. But that's all pre 2009. I've heard others work, like Assassin's Creed 2, but games like Heavy Rain won't work.

OMEGA BOMBS

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 08:46:45 PM »
Im not a big console war guy, but being an xbox fan.....i fucking love it!

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 08:50:38 PM »
Im not a big console war guy, but being an xbox fan.....i fucking love it!
says the new M.o.t.M!

ya.. this is a MAD day for sure.  ;)

Offline Onslaught

• Founding Father
  • Respected Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »
Kinda blows, I wanted to play some Uncharted 2 tonight :(

Offline Pakman3000

• Founding Father
  • Showtime's in your blood.
  • Showtime Karma: 405
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 08:54:18 PM »
I can't be joyful in people possibly losing info/trophies. Could affect me if I turn mine on. Won't deter me from getting BFBC2 on the PS3 at launch. This is smackdown material so I don't agree with the moratorium on trash talk. Just be respectful if that's even possible lol.

Offline Onslaught

• Founding Father
  • Respected Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 08:55:15 PM »
Well, I'm not going to interfere with the smackdown topic on HDD, but it would easier on me if you guys can play (relatively) nice.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 08:58:21 PM »
I can't be joyful in people possibly losing info/trophies. Could affect me if I turn mine on. Won't deter me from getting BFBC2 on the PS3 at launch. This is smackdown material so I don't agree with the moratorium on trash talk. Just be respectful if that's even possible lol.
oh snap!   you can lose trophies now?   ya.. that would suck big time.      only to those who deserve it, shall that happen to.  :)