Author Topic: Photography  (Read 34023 times)

Offline cuco33

• 2011 CO-Member of the Year
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 367
    • eurokult
Photography
« on: February 09, 2010, 02:22:22 PM »
Yep... I'm into photography too  :P

I'm in the process of sorting through my 2009 Italy pics from my stay out there (8 months) I'll post some here from travels and whatnot.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
Re: Photography
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 04:36:25 PM »
i still want to see these pictures Cuco

Offline RollinPCH

• Founding Father
  • Bench Warmer
  • Showtime Karma: 34
Some of my photography.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:55:15 AM »
I'm such a beginner to photography it's not even funny. I think these turned out alright.

Offline cuco33

• eurokult
Re: Some of my photography.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 08:30:16 AM »
You're trying for that bokeh look? What camera/lens do you have?

I took these for my lady using the bokeh method, a Nikon D60, a Nikkor 35mm f1.8 lens, an SB600 flash bounced off ceiling (not enough light though; not edited images although I should have edited them for more brightness):

Either I set the apeture to 1.8 or 2.8 for these.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:41:36 AM »
nice thread..   i look forward to seeing more pictures.

Offline RollinPCH

• Founding Father
  • Bench Warmer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 10:36:59 PM »
I have a beginner camera. It's a Kodak Z981, 14mp. Don't have any lighting systems yet, just got it yesterday. The lens is by Schneider-KREUZNACH, it is called the Variogon 26mm-676mm
These photo's are unedited. I'm so tired, otherwise I would edit them. :o

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57328949@N06/with/5281843457/

Offline cuco33

• eurokult
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 07:34:56 AM »
Good camera. Mess around with settings and learn what it can do. You'll love it once you know a few more things. I'm still learning to this day!!

The lens is a good one. Not sure about sensor but if they spent money on a good lens it probably has a good sensor too. Don't shoot in digital zoom. People do that a lot and it usually comes out bad with the pics. Keep it before whatever line that goes into digital zoom.
If you want that bokeh effect, set the ap to f2.8. Try to mount it on something, tripod/box/whatever to keep it steady. Get your focal point set, put it on timer and let the camera take the pic. That BMW steering wheel pic would look even better if bokeh-ed showing the BMW emblem in focus and rest faded out of focus.

Offline RollinPCH

• Founding Father
  • Bench Warmer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 01:20:37 PM »
Good camera. Mess around with settings and learn what it can do. You'll love it once you know a few more things. I'm still learning to this day!!

The lens is a good one. Not sure about sensor but if they spent money on a good lens it probably has a good sensor too. Don't shoot in digital zoom. People do that a lot and it usually comes out bad with the pics. Keep it before whatever line that goes into digital zoom.
If you want that bokeh effect, set the ap to f2.8. Try to mount it on something, tripod/box/whatever to keep it steady. Get your focal point set, put it on timer and let the camera take the pic. That BMW steering wheel pic would look even better if bokeh-ed showing the BMW emblem in focus and rest faded out of focus.
I will try it later, thanks for the tips! Coming from video into photo is so much fun but challenging.

Offline mondayshift

• "I'm not a hot asian chick"
  • Founding Father
  • Showtime Karma: 605
    • flickr
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 01:55:53 PM »
hey cuco i'v e gotten in to collecting watches a bit and i want to take picture of watches real close if possible. both picture i've put as close as possible with out blurring and no digi zoom.

in this pic the watch dial has little etched lines that make square patterns i want to get in there and really see them. i use my old SOny DSC-H9

in this one i want to get close enough to see the thickness of the RR's on the seconds hand. i used my Samsung point and click.
Fool Me Once, Shame on You, Fool Me Twice, I punch your face!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mondayshift/

Offline cuco33

• eurokult
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 12:31:29 PM »
i still want to see these pictures Cuco

Damn it... just realized I never uploaded and posted them here lol

Here's my old Flickr photostream which is missing TONS of pics and TONS of edits I made on some of these pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28916981@N08/

And some random ones I grabbed from my photobucket, which I'm going to be uploading more soon enough. I shot a friend's baby baptism so I'm in the process of making edits and will be uploading as well

Fortaleza, Valenca, Minho, Portugal

Vigo, Spain

cool apartment by my aunt's house in Valenca, Portugal

park bench in Valenca, Portugal

If you don't know what this is... open a book!!

old steps to Coimbra University, Coimbra Portugal, one of the oldest universities in the world

DSC_0020 by nms2502, on Flickr

bicycle in center of Parma; Parma, Italy

wrenching @ H20i, OC MD 2010

break time @ H20i, OC MD 2010
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:42:50 PM by cuco33 »

Offline cuco33

• eurokult
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 12:41:11 PM »
hey cuco i'v e gotten in to collecting watches a bit and i want to take picture of watches real close if possible. both picture i've put as close as possible with out blurring and no digi zoom.

in this pic the watch dial has little etched lines that make square patterns i want to get in there and really see them. i use my old SOny DSC-H9

in this one i want to get close enough to see the thickness of the RR's on the seconds hand. i used my Samsung point and click.

Your camera should be plenty fine for what you want to do. Did you 'freehand' the pic though? Looks good but not as sharp as maybe it should be. Try setting it to timer and resting the camera on something, whether it be a tripod or some books. The more stable the camera is and the thing you're trying to capture, the sharper the image. Try setting camera to maximum resolution, and adjust some settings. Keep snapping and trying different things, it's the way you'll best know. Lighting seems fine which is usually the culprit for not the best pics. Set macro mode. If you want the most detail adjust the f-stop to as big as you can, not f2.8 or f4 but rather f8 or f11, whatever is best. When you want bokeh, like those shots where it's crystal clear sharp in one area but fades away to blurriness the rest of the pic, that's when you try to go f2.8 or smaller. Shutter speed usually is for things in motion where you go longer exposure to get effects like rolling shots, such as these I took for a friend (1/speed, basically if he's going 50mph you set it to 1/50. If I wanted dead nuts freeze frame I'd make the shutter speed the fastest possible like 1/5000).

To me it seems you want really sharp pic to see details so set camera to aperture priority and adjust the f-stop to f8/f11 etc, but select macro if it's an option. The other thing is other settings like focal points the camera reads to find what it should be, etc.

Another pic for shits n giggles, closeup of a car at H20i in OC, MD 2009

Offline mondayshift

• Founding Father
    • flickr
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 09:20:44 PM »
i'll try some of your advice. thanks cuc.

Offline mondayshift

• Founding Father
    • flickr
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 06:46:32 PM »
hey cuc,

something is missing form your Italy pics!     the hot italian ladies.

also another question, i always hear people say don't use digi zoom, because you can lose detail. now i want to know does that mean don't use zoom at all? or just the part where my cameras regualr zoom goes into this extra realm of zoom?

here are some pics, using some cheap $17 dollar macro lens set i got and using the digi zoom.

Offline cuco33

• eurokult
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
I have almost 1/2 of a 1TB HDD drive of pics just from Italy. I'm missing a TON that I haven't converted, edited, nor uploaded.  :P

Yeah for point n shoot cameras I avoid digital zoom like the plague. I make pretend it's not even there. You lose detail and it depends on the sensor and the software if it's capable of doing a good job. Most times it doesn't so it's one of those.

Offline VOLTAN

• 2010 Co-Member of the Year
  • Global Moderator
  • Reaching Legendary Status...
  • Showtime Karma: 729
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 04:26:52 PM »
Nice pics cuco!  You must post more!