Author Topic: *Official* NATAL Thread  (Read 9229 times)

Offline Onslaught

• Founding Father
  • Respected Member
  • Showtime Karma: 450
Re: *Official* NATAL Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 01:35:32 PM »
here for those at work...

Guess What Made Time's 50 Best Inventions Of 2009 List
Project Natal continues to rack up awards for innovation faster than the Nintendo Wii circa early 2007, making its way onto Time's 50 Best Inventions of 2009 list. Microsoft is pleased.

The third in what is sure to be a long list of innovation awards for Microsoft's motion-sensing technology by way of time. The magazine's annual list of the 50 Best Inventions highlights Project Natal, along with less significant inventions like tank-bred tuna and teleportation. Xbox corporate vice president Mike Delman fails to contain the company's excitement.

"We're excited that TIME Magazine chose Project Natal as one of their Inventions of the Year, and thrilled to see the excitement around controller-free gaming and entertainment. This is the third major award "Project Natal" received this past month including the Popular Mechanics 2009 Breakthrough Award and Popular Science Best of What's New Grand Award."

Here at Kotaku we're pondering just making a Project Natal award post template, just to save time.

http://kotaku.com/5403407/guess-what-made-times-50-best-inventions-of-2009-list

ps.. anyone else having troubles with hdd today?   it's all fucked up for me today.

Yeah it's been screwed up, but I think it's now working

Offline nmcmahan52

• Founding Father
  • Respected Member
  • Showtime Karma: 517
    • project blu, where i attempt to review games
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 02:11:45 PM »
yeah i wasn't able to get on hardly at all today, seems ok now

i was sitting here all depressed at my desk

Offline Todd Roberts

• Bringing it strong!
  • Showtime Karma: 27
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 10:59:42 PM »
This has been the case for as long as Natal has been announced I thought, in terms of release date. The price though, that would be nice if it were something like 80 dollars or lower. I would definitely jump on that, just for playing around with it.

If Natal launches anywhere south of 80 bucks, you're going to have lots of company, Onslaught.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 679
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 09:09:03 AM »
Fresh details about Xbox 360’s upcoming motion sensing camera, Project Natal, are likely to be revealed at two Gamefest conference sessions in February 2009.

A Natal design track will focus on developing ideas “to help you take your game from office to living room - creating new ways to work, building showcase experiences, divining user intent, and designing gestures for UI versus game interactions”.

In addition, a Natal technical session will cover gesture recognition, avatar retargeting, speech recognition and handling different player environments, among other topics.

Aimed at industry professionals, Microsoft’s Gamefest is taking place at the Washington State Convention Centre in Seattle on February 10 and 11, 2009.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/new-natal-details-to-emerge-in-february

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 04:17:18 PM »
Microsoft: Project Natal Can Replace The TV Remote
The Xbox 360's hands-free motion controller, due to hit sometime next year, could be more than just a new way to gyrate frantically or befriend boys in front of your television screen. It could also replace your TV remote.

Xbox Live GM Marc Whitten has designs on replacing the traditional TV remote with voice and gesture recognition, courtesy of Project Natal. According to a report from Yahoo! Tech, Whitten believes that Natal "will be the largest leap of TV experience since the remote control," providing better input options than the increasingly complex remote.

How? By recognizing common, button-less input via Natal.

"Laughter is an input," Whitten said at the Streaming Media West show last week. "Yelling at the TV when I know an answer on 'Jeopardy' is an input. Attention is an input. The number of people in the room at one time is an input." And, you know, that's a fairly interesting concept.

http://kotaku.com/5414062/microsoft-project-natal-can-replace-the-tv-remote

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 09:27:45 PM »
hope you can let us know sometime sooner than later on SOME stuff.

and are there any game testing jobs open out there?     i need another job.. but a work from home type of thing.. and i have lot's of hours to test games and get paid for it.   

Offline Onslaught

• Founding Father
  • Respected Member
  • Showtime Karma: 450
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 11:04:40 PM »
Can we expect something at CES or something? Or would it wait till something like the Game Developers' Conference?

Offline Todd Roberts

• Bringing it strong!
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 05:10:54 PM »
Let me just say this...

Ugh... I've re-typed this about ten times - and I can't figure out a good way of telling you guys the thing I'm so pumped about without breaking NDA - but boy to I want to.

As soon as we can say anything - I'll post it here.

You never answered my last question to you. Would you mind doing so, if you may?

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 06:36:14 PM »
i messaged him.. so if he can answer.. he will... if not... well then let the fun time guessing, speculation begin!  :D  ;)

Offline Todd Roberts

• Bringing it strong!
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 02:00:40 PM »
MS doesn't seem to have a problem denying some rumors and completely ignoring others. A mid-cycle minor upgrade to the 360 was once part of their plan, and would make sense if they're repackaging the console for Natal's release. Doubling the RAM would be very inexpensive at this point and extremely useful for enhancing textures etc, particularly as it looks like they're going to wring a few more years out of the existing GPU/CPU.

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 610
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 02:21:55 PM »
MS doesn't seem to have a problem denying some rumors and completely ignoring others. A mid-cycle minor upgrade to the 360 was once part of their plan, and would make sense if they're repackaging the console for Natal's release. Doubling the RAM would be very inexpensive at this point and extremely useful for enhancing textures etc, particularly as it looks like they're going to wring a few more years out of the existing GPU/CPU.

Yeah, I'm hopeful the rumors are true.. would seem to be a brilliant move..

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 03:26:37 PM »
well.. no answer back here.. i messaged him, so maybe you guys can let the rumors and speculation fly!  :D

Offline Todd Roberts

• Bringing it strong!
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2009, 09:34:54 PM »
I think pretty much everyone is expecting the Natal launch to be carried out with great fanfare. Anecdotally, it seemed to me like MS was saving some of their powder for next fall, by not burning so much up this holiday season. The minor upgrades I was thinking about, wouldn't necessitate any backwards compatability issues; simply add a little performance headroom that new titles could use to advantage. That would throw a bone to those members of the hard-core base who might not really care so much about Natal. Re-packaging 360 would really drive home the new and improved message, but probably also be relatively costly. If doubling the RAM and a faster DVD drive could be added into the mix at an acceptable cost, it might help hedge the enormous bet MS is making with Natal.

Offline hdinred

• Founding Father
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 610
    • Video Game Rumors
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 01:44:41 PM »
Todd, remember this:

New Xbox 360 Dev Kits with 1GB RAM, X-Engine
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EkuVApEVkkrKedVBmY.php

You may not know it, but Microsoft shipped a new Xbox 360 development kit to studios earlier in the year. One striking difference was the inclusion of one-gigabytes of RAM. No, this does not mean that Microsoft will be releasing a new Xbox 360 with more memory; the new kit instead makes development a little easier.

Like the PlayStation 3 1GB development kits, the extra memory can be used to properly test your game. This was a problem for Xbox 360 developers before now, since extra memory from the 512MB pool would have to be put aside to test their game engine. Developers could of course disable these test features in order to use this spare memory, but that would mean that they wouldn't easily be able to test their game.

Something else might have surprised developers when they received their new Xbox 360 development kit; a new set of tools, or more accurately a new engine. According to our insider source, Microsoft has been on working a new internal Xbox 360 engine, which has been nick-named the X-Engine.

Our source explains that Sony's PlayStation 3 tools (named Edge) have been picking up steam, and are now taking true advantage of the platform's make-up, especially the consoles CPU, Kutaragi-san's infamous Cell. As for the Xbox 360, it was lacking an engine that took advantage of it in the same way; a hole Microsoft hopes to plug with their new X-Engine. We're told that the engine isn't just a new set of special effects; it's actually a whole new way to develop for the system: a new first party engine design.
I'm interested to learn more about this. It could be that the current hardware is capable of much more using this new engine.

Still, if they do upgrade the hardware, in the same way a faster PC plays the same games, only better, you could have the hardcore fighting with the casual for new Xbox consoles this coming fall. That would be a good situation for Microsoft.

Offline Todd Roberts

• Bringing it strong!
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2009, 03:17:44 PM »
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I thought they might be doubling the RAM, and as you say, it could work just like scaling up graphics in the PC space. If they're simultaneously improving their software dev tools, it would have an even more synergistic effect. :D