Author Topic: OnLive Game Service Preview - Is this the future of PC gaming?  (Read 828 times)

Offline chaz_uk

• Founding Father, Gadget Moderator
  • Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 511
    • My Google+ Profile
OnLive Game Service Preview - Is this the future of PC gaming?
« on: January 21, 2010, 03:55:55 AM »
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=859
My first hands-on experience with OnLive turned out to be better than I thought it would be going into the experiment.  Both Burnout: Paradise and Tom Clancy's HAWX provided an acceptable gaming experience through the streaming game service.  Both titles did look a little less impressive when placed side by side with a locally installed copy of each game but that is probably always going to be the case.  Unreal Tournament 3 was less impressive - actually it was awful to be blunt about it.  Some of that could be a result of our latency warnings every time we started the OnLive client and living outside the southern California area, but regardless, playing UT3 with OnLive was not anything I would recommend to experienced or beginning gamers.
Games tested:
Burnout Paradise
H.A.W.X
Unreal Tournament III

Looks good for arcade type games but as expected, fast paced twitchy shooters like UT3 do suffer with the input lag.

Pc gaming, tablet owning, smart phoning gadget user.

Offline cuco33

• 2011 CO-Member of the Year
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 367
    • eurokult
Re: OnLive Game Service Preview - Is this the future of PC gaming?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:09:40 AM »
OnLive has a lot of promise. If they can nail it for all gaming... I'll be a day 1 buyer/subscriber

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:49:56 AM »
I simply don't think the world has the bandwidth required to make this common. Yet.

Offline cuco33

• 2011 CO-Member of the Year
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 367
    • eurokult
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
I simply don't think the world has the bandwidth required to make this common. Yet.

Probably not but it's getting there. Few years ago the fastest net connection in my area (Newark, NJ) was cable or DSL. Now fiber is almost everywhere.

Offline DustoMan

• Large Member
  • Showtime Karma: 529
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 09:27:25 AM »
I was listening to yesterday's Buzz Out Loud and they had Ryan Shroud from PC Perspectives on the show.  Frankly, I think this article is kinda bogus because he didn't get the beta access from OnLive at all.  He got it from "a friend of a friend" and also come to find out that where he tested it from was beyond the 1000 mile radius from the servers that OnLive assigns the user to.  So that could explain the lag he's seeing in the more "twitchy" games.  Anyway, not really liking how this article came about and I can understand completely why OnLive would be pissed at him and sent him a DMCA takedown notice.
Dusto
dustoman [at] gmail [dot] com