Author Topic: EA Sports Relaunching NBA Jam on Nintendo Wii  (Read 4871 times)

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
  • Showtime Padawan(The force is strong in this one)
  • Showtime Karma: 680
    • Follow Showtime for Free on Twitter!
EA Sports Relaunching NBA Jam on Nintendo Wii
« on: January 06, 2010, 07:31:10 AM »
i used to love this game in the arcades.     many quarters went into that bad boy.

Basketball fans who have been requesting an NBA Jam revival are about to get their wish. EA Sports has picked up the classic franchise and will soon announce its official return.

According to ESPN, sources within the publisher have confirmed that the revival will be shipping "exclusively for the Wii," and that creator Mark Turmell will be involved in some capacity. EA Sports is reportedly bringing in Turmell to consult on NBA Jam as well as work on other upcoming sports games.

The franchise is well-known for its popularity during the 16-bit era, when it was hot in both the arcades and on the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo. It was famous not just for its wild brand of 2-on-2 hoops, but for the inclusion of celebrities like Bill Clinton.

Since then, the series has appeared on the Xbox and PlayStation 2 and included spinoffs ranging from NBA Showtime to NBA Ballers. While some of those games have been successful though, they didn't necessarily capture the spirit of the original games. As we wrote in a recent call for a current-gen NBA Jam, "It's time to bring it back to the basics."

Details about EA's revival are relatively sparse at the moment, but our own sources within the publisher tell us that it won't remain a Wii exclusive forever. They say that the revival is set to make the jump to Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network at a later date.

The official announcement will be coming quite soon. Expect more details when it arrives.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177501

post merged with Caines new one.    my bad.. i put this up, but not in the Wii games board.     
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:00:25 PM by miDnIghtEr20C »

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
NBA JAM
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 02:22:56 PM »
http://wii.ign.com/articles/106/1061528p1.html

New NBA Jam Details
Electronic Arts is ready to unleash the classic arcade game in a fresh style.
by Craig Harris

January 15, 2010 - Earlier this month Electronic Arts revealed that it would be producing NBA Jam, a revisit to the classic Midway arcade game, exclusively for the Wii. Not only that, it also announced that it had hired Mark Turmell, the creator of the original arcade series, as senior creative director. Now, the first details of the new game have leaked out via the latest issue of Nintendo Power.

First of all, surprise surprise: Mark Turmell is a consultant on the new game, helmed by a development team up at EA Vancouver. The Wii game is set to revisit the same "photorealistic graphics but over-the-top action" two on two basketball that the original game brought to life. It's clearly meant as a straightforward arcade action experience.

The game will feature a unique hybrid visual engine that utilizes 3D character models but 2D heads featuring actual photos of key NBA stars. Each athlete has a variety of heads depending on the action, including "good play" and "bad play" expressions, clipped from high resolution photography from a variety of NBA sources.

NBA Jam will feature Wii Remote/Nunchuk motion control that keeps the gestures simple, but taking a cue from the design success of Punch-Out!! the game will also feature classic Wii Remote-exclusive control for the hardcore that prefer not to have motion control get in the way of their arcade action.

The photos that span the six page feature within Nintendo Power should get any true NBA Jam fan excited -- at least in stills it looks like the Wii exclusive captures the atmosphere and excitement of the two-on-two basketball game that lit the arcades on fire.

We'll have more on NBA Jam as it progresses in its development cycle. No release date has been listed for the product.

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
A First Look at NBA Jam for the Wii
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 06:26:47 PM »

EA Sports gave an exclusive first look at NBA Jam to Nintendo Power, and judging by a scan that's circled the earth about three times now, a zany visual style should accompany its boom-shakalaka gameplay.

That image above was first circulated by Go Nintendo. As you can see, it looks like the players will have 3D bodies and 2D heads, (think Monty Python, or the cutscene animations in Mythbusters.) According to a reader on NeoGAF, "The faces are actual photograph captures, each character has multiple faces, three faces while running the court, two dunk faces, and a positive and negative face." Sounds delightful. In fact, it wasn't that far off from Ripten's artist's conception published when the game was announced earlier this week.

For those curious about how the game will be controlled, NBA Jam will support motion control; players may also control it holding the Wiimote sideways to use the D-pad and buttons. No mention was made of the Classic Controller.

Of course, the power-ups and unlockables are what made NBA Jam such a raucous hit, and the Nintendo Power article listed these: Fire; Shattering Backboard; Cheats; Flashing Shoes; Flashing ball; Big Head Mode; Legends; Playable Mascots; Secret Characters.

Big Head mode, combined with these graphics, sounds like a riot. The secret characters were a show-stealer on the original, but they came before everyone got super uptight about licensing and use of likenesses in games. I have to wonder who they've brought in.
http://kotaku.com/5449844/a-first-look-at-nba-jam-for-the-wii

Offline Pakman3000

• Founding Father
  • Showtime's in your blood.
  • Showtime Karma: 406
Re: EA Sports Relaunching NBA Jam on Nintendo Wii
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
This is bullshit. You have system sellers but I'm tagging this one an XBL subscription seller! No reason it shouldn't be on the arcade.

Offline Master X

• Founding Father, Video Game Mod
  • Showtime Special Forces
  • Showtime Karma: 603
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »
It should be on XBLA.

Offline Caine

• Founding Father
  • Just Prestiged on SfF!
  • Showtime Karma: 623
  • Ruler Of Nod
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
NBA Jam TE should most definitely be on live!

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:10:16 AM »
It was a little disappointing to hear that EA's NBA Jam remake was destined for the Wii, if only because I like my multiplayer a little more convenient. But hey, if it looks this good, I can overlook that.

These screens (well, the first two are screens) were featured in the latest episode of GameTrailers TV, and from the shadows and texturing on the players it looks like it's still an all-2D affair. Which is exactly what was needed.

We'll still need to see it in motion to get a better idea on how this all runs on the Wii, but if you're the type to let early screenshots impress you, then please, be impressed
http://kotaku.com/5462939/nba-jam-screens-are-on-fire-sorry/gallery/

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 05:33:42 PM »
dammit!   i need a Wii.. i can't believe this game isn't out for Xbox Live, or PSN.    this would be a HUGE arcade game on Live if you ask me... anyhoo.. here's some footage.

Offline Pakman3000

• Founding Father
  • Showtime's in your blood.
  • Showtime Karma: 406
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 09:55:45 PM »
Read the preview in Game Informer. Don't fret. EA won't overlook all the money to come from XBL/PSN. They said their "looking into it".

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 07:44:15 AM »
i think they're just being lazy to port it, or re make it in HD.     they should.    this game would rock on 360/PS3.

Offline cuco33

• 2011 CO-Member of the Year
  • Thrusting deep in Showtime for Free
  • Showtime Karma: 368
    • eurokult
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 09:26:16 AM »
I told my friend about this over the weekend and he is going apeshit. I saw the trailer yesterday and I like how they use actual pics for their faces lol

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 09:56:54 PM »
NBA Jam Also Features 80's Basketball Legends

NBA Jam Also Features 80's Basketball LegendsThe new NBA Jam may be set in the present day, but that doesn't mean every player in the game is on a 2010 NBA roster. Two in particular stand out: legends Larry Bird and Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

Yes, pitched at those aged 30 and up, the game will include a campaign mode which culminates in a match against Bird & Johnson, who presumably will be playing with their 1980's bodies and skillsets, not those of 2010.

Old-timers like myself will remember that the original NBA Jam let you play as non-ballers like Bill Clinton and His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales.

I don't care if the new one has politicans or not, now I know there's throwback NBA stars, I want some Spud Webb, with a little Horace Grant on the side. Or should that be the other way around...
http://kotaku.com/5506922/nba-jam-also-features-80s-basketball-legends

Offline miDnIghtEr20C

• The Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 06:11:17 PM »
if it's not online... what's the point.

Not shocking news, but apparently it hadn't been put on the record yet, and some folks were wondering if NBA Jam for the Wii would have online multiplayer support over the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection. Answer: No.

EA Sports Vancouver confirmed it today, but I swear I'd heard it before. Maybe it's because of the Wi-Fi connection's poor reputation for this sort of thing that I assumed it wouldn't be supported. NHL Slapshot, the Wii hockey title also made by EA Vancouver, also does not have online multiplayer. That said, EA Sports' current Wii versions of Madden NFL, FIFA, Tiger Woods PGA Tour and last year's Grand Slam Tennis do.

Online multiplayer is absolutely a feature of the NBA Jam version that comes free with a one-use download code in retail copies of NBA Elite 11 on the PS3 and Xbox 360. However, that version will not have the Remix Tour, which supplies boss battles and unique challenges in single and - local - cooperative multiplayer modes.

All versions of the game will use the same lineup of players, secret characters, and NBA Legends.
http://kotaku.com/5632316/just-to-be-clear-+-nba-jams-wii-version-has-no-online-multiplayer